Things to do with crab

adanac

have a serious surplus of chelled dungie at the moment, looking to see what people do with their crab other than the usual eat it straight up, or crab cakes .

You can put 2 or 3 halves between 2 paper plates and insert them into a large vacuum bag and vacuum pack it. Not as good but still good enough in salads, sandwiches, etc.

Yep. Best bet is to collect a few Yelloweyes (if you still can?), fill the jar about 3/4 the way full, and top with the crab for canning.
Turns the entire lot into "crab" and is most awesome grits!

Cheers,
Nog
Works with any rockfish

Yep. Best bet is to collect a few Yelloweyes (if you still can?), fill the jar about 3/4 the way full, and top with the crab for canning.
Turns the entire lot into "crab" and is most awesome grits!

Cheers,
Nog

Do you process for the same amount of time? I tried this and it had a slightly burned flavour? Was still tasty but I though it might be in the canner too long. I used 1/2 pint jars. Would it make a difference to upsize the jar?

Works with any rockfish

Consistency my Friend.
Not just any rockfish has the texture of Yelloweye, and that, precisely, is why they work so well with that recipe. Quillback a close second I guess, and if you're stuck...

Do you process for the same amount of time? I tried this and it had a slightly burned flavour? Was still tasty but I though it might be in the canner too long. I used 1/2 pint jars. Would it make a difference to upsize the jar?

Yes, upsize the jar. I have never done that with anything smaller than the pint size.
And I only run it for about 45 or 50 minutes at the desired pressure.
Give it a try and let us know if that solves your issue (not referring to the NDP in this case... :p)

Cheers,
Nog

Last edited:
Consistency my Friend.
Not just any rockfish has the texture of Yelloweye, and that, precisely, is why they work so well with that recipe. Quillback a close second I guess, and if you're stuck...
Yes, upsize the jar. I have never done that with anything smaller than the pint size.
And I only run it for about 45 minutes at the desired pressure.
Give it a try and let us know if that solves your issue (not referring to the NDP in this case... :p)

Cheers,
Nog
How much do you play with canning times and pressures? I bought a pressure canner this year and did a whole bunch of salmon but would love to try out different things. From all the recipes I read they're so adamant that you follow them to the second.

Consistency my Friend.

Cheers,
Nog
I used black rock fish last time and it was great

Consistency my Friend.

Cheers,
Nog

Hahaha, thanks Nog. No worries. I’ll definately go bigger jars next time. Your not worried about the fish poisoning you with the shorter cook time? I’m between 1000-2000 elevation so I’ve been going 110 minutes at 15lbs using a weighted type pressure canner. If that’s too long it’s no wonder that theres a slightly burned taste.

How much do you play with canning times and pressures? I bought a pressure canner this year and did a whole bunch of salmon but would love to try out different things. From all the recipes I read they're so adamant that you follow them to the second.

They have to be.
Anyone utilizes what they say and gets sick or dies, they can be held responsible.
As with most things, there is some wiggle room...

Your not worried about the fish poisoning you with the shorter cook time? I’m between 1000-2000 elevation so I’ve been going 110 minutes at 15lbs using a weighted type pressure canner. If that’s too long it’s no wonder that theres a slightly burned taste.

Never been poisoned yet obviously.
Of course I am at about 150 feet these days, so again, a little leeway.
Even so, the time you note under that high of pressure certainly seems excessive to me.
I'd suggest reducing your pressure down to 12 or so, and 90 minutes absolute max cooking time.
With the larger jars that is.
And the caveat: I am NOT responsible if you follow that advise & croak... ;)

Cheers,
Nog

Hahaha......Thanks again Nog. I’ll give it a whirl next time around. The weights for my canner are the standard 5, 10 or 15 lb so I’m stuck with those for now. Not for long though, I’ll be looking into a guage and fittings to convert.

Back