theft prevention

C

chromechaser

Now that I will have my own boat soon, I have started to think about how to make sure I keep it. It will be parked in the driveway a lot of the time and I was thinking that during the day, it would be pretty easy for someone to drive up and drive away with my boat. It would take some ba!!$ to do, but I would imagine that it happens. I was thinking about wrapping a chain through one of the wheels and around the frame and locking the ends together. I know a set of bolt cutters could get it off pretty quick but at least it would be some deterent. What does everyone else do?

Get one of those "harder to cut" pad locks and lock the tounge closed.
Or have seen trailers with removable tounges

Your on the right track by chaining the wheel, I chain my tandems together on one side. Buy a $50.00 lock at Acme or Prices etc..then get some 70 grade chain (Western Equipment has it) as big as will go through wheel. It is the same chain that the flat bed truckers use to cinch down their loads. (it is cheap too) It is 3-4 times tougher than the regular stuff you buy for anchors etc. You can only do so much as the chain or lock is the weak link and if they are prepared for it they get cut anything if they have the time. Your insurance company may not cover you for theft if it is stolen from the driveway and it isn't locked. My company told me that.

I use a tongue/ball lock i got at can tire and a master lock through the ball fastener. This would at least slow them down. If they can hook it up to a truck they will drag it away chain through the tire and all in my opinion.

I lock my tongue all it takes or tire locks is a set of dolleys like the tow trucks have. again anything is just to slow them down. if they want it real bad they'll get it. to bad its come down to it but it's true. lock your kicker too. I remember I was fishing with my dad 25 years ago and he always lock his outbaord to the cartoppers, and when we went to go fishing the next morning out of 20 boats on the beach of the lake there were 4 with motors on them.

If you insure your boat, read the policy. Mine states that the trailer must be locked to</u> something to qualify for theft insurance.

I bought one of those tongue locks. My trailer has a rotating device and not a lever, but even if the receiver is wide open, this lock doesn't come out so I don't think I have to bother locking the receiver handle. Once I get my insurance policy I will read it carefully for any stipulations. Thanks everybody and yes it really is too bad that it has come to this.

I lock a 2lb ball in the socket so they cant hook up with a smaller ball and drag it away..... one of a couple different locks

My insurance rep also stated it had to be locked to something. I took pics of my wheels locked together with the 3/8 chain and they approved it after I explained my logic. I told them it didn't matter if it was chained to a ring cemented into the driveway as the chain is still the weak link. If they are prepared they can cut the chain to the ring or through the wheels.
If they tow it away with the wheels dragging, I'll follow the rubber on the road to their place, or all the neighbors who hear the wheels screeching will get em.
I also installed an ignition kill switch in the boat. The main won't start unless you flip the hidden switch. Cost me about $15.00. The engine will crank but not fire up. Any thief would just think it won't start for him and move on.

Mine insured by "Smith&Wesson"[8D]

IMG_1445.jpg

My experience… they usually go after the kicker. Solution, take it off and lock it up in the garage.

Next, if out of the water, they love the outdrives and lower units, especially if you have a "Bravo 1" unit. There is locking bolts, which makes that a lot harder.

Lastly, the boat & trailer. Probably the best thing is to take a wheel, or two off!

I like the, "Mine insured by "Smith&Wesson"" comment the best! :D:D

I don't remember where i saw them ,but it is a ball and some type of cap with lock that goes in and over your hitch, locks the ball into the hitch. Also check out a motorcycle shop for a Cobra LInk. It's not a chain but a bunch of hardened links in plastic sleeve about 6 ft long I have one and it works great around the wheels and frame. Used it for years on my motor bike never had a prob.

Unless you can lock the boat in your garage, one of the best things to do is take the wheel(s) off on one side of the trailer. I would not depend on the hitch lock if the trailer is sitting in the front yard. I don't want to post how simple it is to bypass hitch locks, because you never know who reads this.

Can you tell me where you live?:D

Kidding of course. I was concerned about mine too. I mainly stay up all night with a pair of night vision goggles. Sitting quietly in the bushes off to the right of the boat. They'll never see me coming.

If they want it , they'll take it. Ensure you have the appropriate coverage. Mine is a super duper policy that requires no need for a lock at my place of residence. ( even though it is locked)

.....it is a big bi#$%tch though, and Like I said. I am waiting;)

Back