The Seal Lion and the Girl

I cycled out to Steveston yesterday and saw that fur bag cruising the fish sales dock-tried to tell some people standing there open mouthed how dangerous they are but they didn't want to hear it-glad the kid is OK and somebody should at least buy the rescuer a new sunglasses.

I cycled out to Steveston yesterday and saw that fur bag cruising the fish sales dock-tried to tell some people standing there open mouthed how dangerous they are but they didn't want to hear it-glad the kid is OK and somebody should at least buy the rescuer a new sunglasses.

And a new cell phone.

I think the sea lion mistook the girls white shirt as maybe a white side of halibut. If you slow motion view the clip the sea lion has let go before the girl hits the water. Any large wild animal is dangerous but sea lions compared to other animals are quite mellow. I'd be far more cautious around cows and horses.

I think it tried to eat her, I think it will keep attacking people. I think these animals are learning that people are food.

We must protect the tourists and people on those docks buying fish. These things are like wolves and those people are caribou. They won't stop until they are all gone. There are hundreds of them on the south arm of the river.
They chase my boat, I have to drive fast.

The government must step in and act now!
Time for a cull....

Seriously I am glad she is okay, the old guy was pretty freaking quick. That would have been pretty effing scary.

I don't know about anybody else..but what I saw was:-

Sealion hanging around for possible hand-outs.

People gesturing (including girl) like they have some food to offer....but they don't.

However they are sending a message to the sealion that they do.

Girl sits down backwards on dock shortly after gesturing and being jumped at by sealion.

Sealion thinks she has food ....but can't see.

So decides to haul her in so it can get at possible food.

It pulled her in by the clothing. If it wanted to it would have bitten her directly.

Hats off to the man that dove in to rescue child.

Those kind of people in my mind are the true definition of a "hero'. No hesitation or stalling on his part while he thought about whether he might get attacked. Just instantaneously went to the rescue.

Bravo, sir...

Hats off to the man that dove in to rescue child.

Those kind of people in my mind are the true definition of a "hero'. No hesitation or stalling on his part while he thought about whether he might get attacked. Just instantaneously went to the rescue.

Bravo, sir..
That's her Granpa.

Reading some comments on other sites stating that the family and others were buying prawns to feed to sea lion.

Should not be feeding any wildlife and then turn your back on them.

Reading some comments on other sites stating that the family and others were buying prawns to feed to sea lion.

Should not be feeding any wildlife and then turn your back on them.

Don't know if they were doing this or not. But wouldn't surprise me.

I'd be laughing out loud at this incident if it weren't a young kid.

I'm sure this will be blamed on the Sea Lion, this is why you don't feed wild animals. Sorry that the little girl got hurt, but the adults should not of put her in that predicament. There called wild for a reason. And good on her Grandpa he was milliseconds behind her, didn't think twice. Brave man.

Yup second nature to go in after your own.....glad the girls is fine ...... time to look at the real problem though .... yes peeps are feeding but the seal and sea lion pops have grown to outstanding populations in the river areas..... time to kill them or minimize their population like we have done int the past. If you guys haven't fished sandheads the last year or 2 you really don't know what we are talking about......its insane the amount and how docile they have become.... they have come right onto the pod of my boat trying to get their dinner

Not saying that Seal and Sea Lion populations have not grown, but this is a Sea Lion that has become trained for free hand outs and is wild. Same as feeding the loins and bears. These creatures are wild and at the top of their food change for a reason. As someone said, these things move quick and are dangerous. their not to be played with.

nothing short of bad behavior and
disrespect for the natural order of
nature....
they taunted and teased this animal
in very close quarters allowing this
very young little girl that they are supposed to be protecting as grown
adults to expose her back to a wild 1400 lb stellar sea lion and laughed.

a strip should have been torn off
by authorities...

Global News had a report confirming people were buying prawns and feeding the sea lion.
There are now newly posted Do Not Feed The Wildlfe signs up on the dock were this incident took place.
The report included a comment from wildlife personnel that said the animals get frustrated when the feeding stops and that's why it reacted in this manner.

The news reporter was on the same dock and it was crowded with people just waiting to see the sea lions.

Last edited:
will never learn. like giving handouts
in the middle of a busy thoroughfare.

I just don't get that so many people think that flirting with Wild animals is ok!! The ignorance is absolutely mind blowing. Wild animals have to be respected!! Unreal!!!

See it often driving through the parks, dad puts kid 15ft from bull elk to get a good pic or people stop on highway and getting out of their vehicles to get a good look at a nice little grizz. My god are u kidding me people!!

Last edited:
Back