The other side of the fence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Birdsnest

I am putting this thread up to provide information from the salmon farmers perspective. Some may continue to call me a shill or paid representative, others will discredit the sources(lucky for them they won't have to bother reading it) and the odd person may read it and actually be able to take something from it.
Either way you can take it or leave it.

Enjoy the reading.

http://www.alaskasalmonranching.com/sweet-spring-finally-sprung/

So I just read the short blog post about some land based salmon farm shutting down their operation. How does this provide any view into the "other side of the fence" for us?

Close containment is failing. Why are so many NGO groups suggesting it as an alternative?
Why is Morton advocating against farm salmon and the final product in terms of pcb content and lipid content when on the other hand she fully supports the product in closed containment. Is that open and honest?

more on the whole picture:

http://salmonfarmscience.com/2014/0...oduction-so-why-is-it-all-we-ever-hear-about/

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow what a post. You think providing a link to a blog who is quite happy to witness closed containment fail is going to make people support open net pens? I'd think as a fish farmer you would support your fellow farmers and hope they would have success but this blog you linked is clearly written by somebody who hopes closed containment fails. I presume you share this view and that is too bad.

Hope is not in the equation. It works or it doesn't. If the writer is wrong about the details in the article someone should point it out instead of suspicions about the writers hopes being a highlight.

If closed containment fails, it somehow justifies the open net pen industry. In their eyes, the industry is a MUST, regardless of the environmental impact.
Pretty weak argument in my eyes...

" I may not agree 100% with the situation but when it comes to all the drivel and non truths that are presented to the public about salmon farming I will speak up."

Your words, you want to speak about drivel those links are 100% drivel with the only point being deflection from open net farms. The first link even states sweet spring had no expertise or common sense.
Maybe you could take your aquaculture talents to these folks and make closed pens work. If it's not financially feasible go work on a tuna boat or something less harmful to the environment.

Funny you should mention "if" when yourself and many NGO groups claim it is the solution. Not very honest"

I don't need to go out and find a solution for your industry. Why does your industry put that onus on the people? Either you can do your business in an environmentally safe manner, following the rules like everyone else. If your industry can't do that, then YOU either find an alternative, or pack up and leave...it's that simple. No need to argue that, it's common sense.

I find this an interesting thread as this morning driving I was listening to the CBC on the radio and they were discussing the Northern Vancouver Island Company
(name I forget) and how they have harvested their first closed containment Atlantic Salmon for sale soon in Safeway's. They stated the fish grew in half the time and required 20-30% less feed. They stated the reason for the fast growth is the optimal water conditions they can produce. No antibiotics at all during any phase of growth. They used ultra violet light to treat the ground water used during the life cycle. They said currently the cost was higher to produce compared to open pens but they would be reducing their costs overall with the expansion of their site to produce more product. Gives me faith that other viable options exist than just expanding the current model utilized by the big companies.

The argument could be simply put to bed with a strong public campaign to only support product raised in closed containment. This is where the environmental groups, recreational, commercial and native fishermen could all work together.

When you link us to a blog that's as biased in its writing as that one AND then expect us to believe the "conclusion" that closed containment keeps failing, you shouldn't be surprised that there a negative reaction. If instead you provided links to primary scientific peer-review literature generated that made the same point, you might catch our attention.

The ‘Namgis farm is set to harvest their first batch of Atlantic salmon in a few weeks (the fish will be marketed as “KUTERRA” salmon). This event will undoubtedly be celebrated and marketed as a “first of its kind”. It isn’t the first: salmon farmers have been growing Atlantic salmon to market size in land-based farms for years now.

If you guys have been doing it for years why don't you all just do it?
That's a direct quote from the link basically slandering the namgis First Nation

I'm pretty sure that there is a peer reviews document that shows closed containment salmon culture is awesome. Let's see it. Who wrote it? Morton? Some other SFU staff? A bias source likely but what maters is the content.

I didnt call call this thread the other side of the fence for nothing.

Again if any of the content of the articles is false please do point it out.

Those who wish to discredit the source as biased your welcome to do so. I understand. It's a lot of reading if you read them completely especially if you get into all the links inside the article. I do not expect anyone to read any of them. In all honesty I have not read all the links.

Does bias make contents of an article true or false?

http://www.biv.com/article/20140422...s-first-land-raised-atlantic-salmon-to-market

This seems to have been successful unless you know otherwise fish farmer.

if the goal is to bring fish to just get fish to market then it has been successful once. Maybe this works in a communist regime.
My experience in business is that you first acquire the funds to produce a product to sell and then with the money retained from those sales the process is repeated. If you can do this over and over continually your golden. If you run out of loans, grant, trust fund money you fail. This failure keeps reoccurring to closed containment salmon culture.
Lets call it what it is. Research.

When you link us to a blog that's as biased in its writing as that one AND then expect us to believe the "conclusion" that closed containment keeps failing, you shouldn't be surprised that there a negative reaction. If instead you provided links to primary scientific peer-review literature generated that made the same point, you might catch our attention.

Well stated, I read this blog and besides the personal attacks on individuals it lacked any real evidence. I understand there are two sides to every story, just looking for a more reputable source for the other sides position.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back