The OFFISHAL Vancouver 2011 Reports Thread

Wasn't out myself.....ridiculous SE wind..if you weren't in the lee of something or close to shore...it licked! Nothing for a bud who was out yesterday.

I was out Sunday for a couple hours in the a.m. Tried both the Cap and the QB ... no fish, minimal bait and a couple very hungry looking seals. The weather held up surprisingly well and the crab trap was full so it could have been worse.

Any reports from the harbour this week ... thinking of heading out for a couple hours late this afternoon and will report back if I do. Thanks in advance!

either heading out in Vancouver this weekend OR thinking of bombing over the gulf islands (thrasher rock, etc) for the weekend. Anyone been out fishing in either the Vancouver harbour / Bowen area lately OR over in the Gulf Islands?? Would like to hear some reports if anyone has been out this week. I'll post my report after the weekend. thx

hmm, no recent report often means no fish so I'm not all that optimistic about this coming weekend in the gulf islands (we are heading over to gabriola and area). hoping someone can provide an update before the weekend. I haven't heard much about the Vancouver area either though I know some people are heading out this weekend. I will report back with my catch and any Vancouver info I get back from my buddies after the weekend. Will have the prawn and crab traps with me as well so hopefully a seafood buffet come sunday night

It's not that isn't a recent report...it's that it has been so windy, crappy and cold that most of the guides are delaying their bookings. Fish are being found to the 18 lb range on the West Vancouver shoreline (taken on Monday). A small spoon produced that fish right off the bottom in 110 feet of water. English Bay produced a 10 lber for an acquaintance yesterday while working a few bait balls. He fished for all of 1 hour. There are reports, just few people have been out.

Ya I hear you on the weather. Windy as hell again today. It looks like the wind may die down for all/part of the weekend which is good to see at this point. Hopefully a few boats get out there this weekend and take advantage. I will try for a mid-week fish next week if the weather cooperates. Supposed to snow in the gulf islands for us on Saturday! Should be fun in my buddies 'no-cabin' boat. Thankfully jack daniels is joining us on this trip to keep us warm

Be careful, the latest reports shows southeast wind to pick up in the afternoon
20-25 knots.
could make for a bumpy ride home !

We're actually got a boat over in the gulf islands and we're leaving it there at the end of the weekend so we won't have to risk the crossing. Thanks for the heads up nonetheless!

Went out this afternoon for a quick fish and to drop a crab trap. Beautiful day, nice and calm and toasty warm with the top zipped up and a heater inside. Not much action, but I did get one feeder about eight pounds right next to one of the freighters in the harbor. Caught it on a hoochy just off bottom.

One sour note, went back to get my trap and some SOB had stolen it. It wasn't a cheap setup, so I was a little pissed. I guess I'm going to buy cheapos from now on.

Hate to say it but you may have been victimized by one of the water taxis out there....they're about the only ones on the Bay this time of year and a buddy already had his trap raided already...the trap wasn't put back together...and obviously tossed overboard by the thief. YOU KNOW who is out there at this time of year..and I can say they are suspect numero uno...especially on flat calm days when you can keep an eye on your traps with binoculars!!!!

:S

The guys I am thinking of are from Burrard Inlet, servicing the freighters anchored in English Bay.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't see one other boat fishing today, so it probably was a working boat. Kinda a **** off, but what are you gonna do. Sad that there are so many low life's on the water. I didn't let it ruin my day, I had a great time despite the theft. The wife was far more pissed off than me because she loves her crab.

I still haven't replaced the ones I lost in front of the pink apartments last year, same thing no other boats around and the traps where gone in the 1st hour I left them. I am sure that some one watched me set them as the floats were small and hard to see.

thats the problem I use big floats as I can see them far away when fishing around that area. that way you can see them around your traps

If you set them around the pink building, MAKE SURE you have them clearly visible and floating. The 3 knot current there will suck your small floats under. It's always fun dodging them when it's Coho season.

I lost my trap therer once also , thinkin someone stole it, then about an hour later my float came up in a rip tide, we went after it but the current pulled it back down again and we never saw it again all day, so maybe it wasnt stolen, prob still out there catching crabs

Was talking to a couple of boats out there today a while ago...they have found a couple of 12 lbers and possibly more. Nasty SE wind...

A local guide buddy is out on the water today. He sent me a text a while ago that he boated a double header of nice fish in the teens. The bite goes on!

Update: Just spoke to my buddy. They hit 6 legal fish today. 2 double headers and 2 singles. Got sealed on 2 of them. Anglers lost 2 which came "undone". Not bad for a cold, rainy and windy day on the water. Not bad for 6 hours effort. Largest was high teens.

Last edited by a moderator:
Made the trip over to the Gulf Islands this weekend. We were in a fairly small boat so only got to put in a few hours on Saturday at Porlier Pass as the winds were pretty strong. Missed one strike and unfortunately that turned out to me our only one of the day other than picking up a few unwanted lingcod and rockcod. The prawning and crabbing were great despite the crappy weather.

Will be heading out in Vancouver this week if possible as it appears there are some decent fish around now. Apparently I won't be bringing my crab traps out with those thieves running around. Not good to see if they did in fact get stolen.

Any word from Vanc boys. out on Saturday of Tsaw. nothing but a few crabs. Nice day. It looked like the Brant hunters had a good morning.

Back