THE OFFICAL LEAD MELT/BARB-Q/ FIESTA FUNDRAISER!!!! JUNE 2nd

Its a bit far away so there is a quite a few maybes, However there is around 15 so far confirmed. That could turn into 30 pretty fast. I will post up a list at the end of the week. The more the merrier.

Just bumping it up,

THanks to all who have sent donations so far! We have some really cool raffle items cmoing down the pipe which i should be able to announce in the comming weeks.

For any of you guys that are on the fence. Take a look around this forum, to see the state of our fisheries. 100% of all of the proceeds are being donated to Alex Morton and her fight against the sess pool fish farms. Not just the profits, but EVERYTHING Please take the time and attend this. Even if its for an hour.

Lorne

THis is the kind of stuff your money will go to!

Application made to reopen Cohen Commission into the decline of Fraser River salmon

Discovery of Salmon Heart Virus Threat to Fraser Sockeye

April 24, 2012 (Vancouver, BC) Today, the Aquaculture Coalition, which includes Alexandra Morton represented by Gregory McDade, submitted an application to the Cohen Commission into the decline of the Fraser Sockeye seeking to reopen hearings and examine new and significant disease findings pursuant to Rule 65.

Farm salmon purchased during February 2012 in BC supermarkets tested positive for the newly discovered piscine reovirus (PRV). This virus has been identified as the cause of Heart and Skeletal Muscle Inflammation (HSMI). Piscine reovirus weakens the heart of salmon. The Aquaculture Coalition believes the impact of this heart disease has to be considered as a contributing factor to the decline of the Fraser sockeye.

The Cohen Commission heard testimony that up to 90% of the sockeye entering the Fraser River die as they attempt to reach their spawning grounds, swimming through strong rapids such as the famous Hells Gate.

First discovered in a Norwegian salmon farm in 1999, HSMI spread rapidly through Norway to infect over 400 farms today. The disease is described as spreading like “wildfire” (http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/tag/hsmi/).

The Atlantic farm salmon (44/45 samples) purchased (February 2012) by Morton from Vancouver and Victoria supermarkets tested positive for PRV. Loblaw confirmed these fish had been reared in BC waters. This suggests PRV is widespread in BC farm salmon. Most salmon farms in BC are on the Fraser sockeye migration routes.

In a televised interview (April 20, 2012) Dr. Gary Marty, the Provincial farm salmon veterinarian and Cohen Commission witness confirmed he found the virus in 75% of BC farm salmon he tested. Dr. Marty suggests the piscine reovirus is not a concern. However, a joint scientific publication by the Center for Infection and Immunity, Columbia University, New York and Norwegian government scientists state: “…it is urgent that measures be taken to control PRV not only because it threatens domestic salmon production but also due to the potential for transmission to wild salmon populations.” http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2901333/?tool=pubmed The evidence that PRV is common in farm salmon was missing from the disease reports provided to the Cohen Commission by Dr. Marty.

Although the provincial vet reports the virus in “sick fish,” spokesperson for the BC Salmon Farmer’s Association, Mary Ellen Walling claims they are not seeing any indication of the virus. http://www.fis.com/fis/worldnews/wo...&special=&monthyear=&day=&id=51475&ndb=1&df=0 These two statements are contradictory.

DFO spokesperson Frank Stanek assures us: “Government of Canada scientists have not
confirmed the presence of this virus in Canadian fish, despite extensive monitoring and testing.”
http://www.timescolonist.com/news/Government+officials+salmon+farmers+contradict+claims+diseas

However, DFO scientist Dr. Kristy Miller testified at the Cohen Commission on early findings that
the PRV virus was detected in Chinook farms in Clayoquot Sound, as well as, in Fraser sockeye.
HSMI is not a reportable disease so the Canadian Food Inspection Agency is not directly involved.
The Atlantic Veterinary Lab sequenced the virus found in the supermarket samples (collected by
Morton in February 2012) and reports it is 99% identical to piscine reovirus found in Norwegian
farmed salmon.

“The obvious potential that piscine reovirus is killing Fraser sockeye by weakening their hearts,
rendering them less capable of fighting their way through white water rapids like Hells Gate was
never raised at the inquiry. Despite the Province of BC apparently knowing it was common in
salmon farms,” said Alexandra Morton.

Morton observed, “The presence of this virus is significant evidence in puzzle of the Fraser
salmon collapse because Cohen heard evidence that over 90% of Fraser sockeye die as they are
swimming upstream, a weakened heart could be causing this. Justice Cohen can not complete his
work if pieces of the puzzle are kept from him.”

Morton went on to say, “I sympathize with Justice Cohen, he has seen DFO spokespeople
contradicting their own scientists – which is how we lost the North Atlantic cod. Justice Cohen is
blindfolded by the lack of full disclosure. His report will not be complete without getting to the
bottom of this, just like he did for the ISA virus.”

The Aquaculture Coalition submits that the Commission should receive new evidence regarding
the epidemiology and impacts of PRV and HSMI in salmon populations on a global scale and
should hear evidence regarding its presence in British Columbia.

In particular, the knowledge of Dr. Miller and Dr. Marty regarding the presence of PRV and HSMI
in fish farms in British Columbia is relevant to the Commissioner’s inquiry and an opportunity to
hear their evidence is warranted.

For more information or to schedule interviews contact: Alexandra Morton 250-974-7086,
Gregory McDade 604-988-5201
Copies of the letter requesting the Cohen Commission be reopened, submitted by Gregory
McDade on behalf of The Aquaculture Coalition to Brian Wallace, Q.C., Cohen Commission Senior
Counsel, can be found at http://bit.ly/J7mNxH

I agree. Great job organizing this Lorne. Can we count on you to help with the pouring Owen?

Not sure why that question would be asked again. I have said over and over again to Lorne if the conditions are right every thing is good on my end to help out. I have reached out this week to 3 welders including your self for a new redesigned melting pot for pouring... Dam I have even been looking at new molds. I have even brought up the idea of a pre-pour just because if weather is not to our favor and numbers are higher and if people want more then one cannon ball. People could go home with what they want with out causing issues of over heated molds.

Weather is a big thing in this coming together more then you, Lorne and everyone else.. including those that are willing to come as well as the people willing to help.

hope that the bureaucrats dont read this and somehow try to shut it down..call me paranoid but.......lorne, you should try and get alex to attend if she could, or was available...holmes*

We will be exta careful with the spills and make it as clean as possible. I will bring some extra stuff for spill control so there is zero enviro issues if anyone was wondering.

Not sure why that question would be asked again. I have said over and over again to Lorne if the conditions are right every thing is good on my end to help out. I have reached out this week to 3 welders including your self for a new redesigned melting pot for pouring... Dam I have even been looking at new molds. I have even brought up the idea of a pre-pour just because if weather is not to our favor and numbers are higher and if people want more then one cannon ball. People could go home with what they want with out causing issues of over heated molds.

Weather is a big thing in this coming together more then you, Lorne and everyone else.. including those that are willing to come as well as the people willing to help.

Right on Owen. It will be great having an experienced pourer there. Good point about the time to pour and having some stuff pre-poured.

Last edited by a moderator:

I think a pre pour is a good idea. Maybe 15-20 balls. Weather unless a complete Monsoon will not be an issue, well for the Pouring part at least. If you look at the property on Google earth to the right there is 2 HUGE barns. The front of the one barn is wide open. Its half full of Hay right now, but most of that will be gone in the next few weeks. We could pour in there if it absolutely comes down to it. Also i think John is bringing some massive tent thing.

Ill take some pictures of the spot this weekend and post em up. You guys will be blown away. Its an amazing chunk of real estate.
However, the weather will be BEAUTIFUL that weekend. I already reserved it.

Lorne

I think a pre pour is a good idea. Maybe 15-20 balls. Weather unless a complete Monsoon will not be an issue, well for the Pouring part at least. If you look at the property on Google earth to the right there is 2 HUGE barns. The front of the one barn is wide open. Its half full of Hay right now, but most of that will be gone in the next few weeks. We could pour in there if it absolutely comes down to it. Also i think John is bringing some massive tent thing.

Ill take some pictures of the spot this weekend and post em up. You guys will be blown away. Its an amazing chunk of real estate.
However, the weather will be BEAUTIFUL that weekend. I already reserved it.

Lorne

Sounds great Lorne.

Lorne I have a donation for the raffle are you going to collect or should I bring to event?
GLG

Count me in. Will gladly help out in anyway i can. Can also bring propane bottle,5ft. folding table and 10#cannonball mold if needed. I live in Nanaimo and as i dont drink i have room for 4 people who may want a drive. PM me for info.
Thanks. Bart.

So far this is what the prizes look like
GLG- donated some sort of double chair thing, LOL. I am not sure how to describe it, but its a double lawn chair and it sounds badass.
Casper( Brian) has donated a few sets of vip passes to Buchart Gardens,
A friend of mine has doanted a hand made knife made out of black tail antler as the handle. Super sweet!
I have a local fishing store working on a few things.
IF you read through this thread there are a TON of people donating items to for the lead melt. Too many to list, But i iwll be contacting these people individually over the next month.

IF you cannont make the event, and would still like to contribute, shoot me a pm. I just did a pour yesterday and have some 15lb and 12llb balls ready with 100% of the proceeds going to alexandra. 15lbers are $25, 12lb are $20.

Lorne

At the event, Prices as follows.
15lbers. $25 a peice, 5 for $100
12lbers $20 a piece, 5 for $90
10lbers $17.50 a peice 5 for $70

All misc, banana weights, 1lb, 2lb, .5 lb hali weights, etc wil be sold at $1.40 a pound. i.e. 2lb hali balls will sell for 2.80. which is about 60% of what you pay at most stores around here.

Lorne

So far this is what the prizes look like
GLG- donated some sort of double chair thing, LOL. I am not sure how to describe it, but its a double lawn chair and it sounds badass.
Casper( Brian) has donated a few sets of vip passes to Buchart Gardens,
A friend of mine has doanted a hand made knife made out of black tail antler as the handle. Super sweet!
I have a local fishing store working on a few things.
IF you read through this thread there are a TON of people donating items to for the lead melt. Too many to list, But i iwll be contacting these people individually over the next month.

IF you cannont make the event, and would still like to contribute, shoot me a pm. I just did a pour yesterday and have some 15lb and 12llb balls ready with 100% of the proceeds going to alexandra. 15lbers are $25, 12lb are $20.

Lorne
All I can say is NICE JOB! :D :cool:

Awesome stuff Lorne!

I have the safety stuff lined up for the pourers. I have 2 100 lb propane bottles and two or three 20 lbers as well that my company will be donating for the melting.

I am trying to line up some local business stuff and will post about that shortly. I am donating a couple of nice folding Buck knives for table prizes.

I think folks should make plans to come out to this event as there seems to be alot of prizes ramping up with great odds of everyone walking away with something. It is for a great cause and it is a chance to meet forum members and talk fishing and learn how lead is melted into tackle. There will be lot's of food and beverages as well. I'll be there on the bbq and helping out where I can.

Come on out on June 2nd.

Cheers,
Sculpin

I am a maybe for the event.....so far. I have a good melting pot, burner and a tank for use if need be. I am in CR if someone wants to grab it and be responsible to return it if I dont make it. I will pour when I know if I am in!

Good cause!

Back