The Magic Of Beads

I have tested on how they can fit on jigs and one must increase the size of the hole. I used a Dremel with a very small, thin tapered diamond drill bit and had no issue. One needs to be careful and should use gloves and eye glasses for safety. I drilled 6 beads and no cracking or chipping. Personally I would rather have beads made for jigs. But for those who like to do it your self it is possible.
The following are not my photos but it gives the idea

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 56
  • images-1.jpg
    images-1.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 57
I know about the flossing. Hopefully we don't go off the topic of beads.

We use about 20-30 inches of leader with the bead set 1-2 inches above the hook so when they pick it up its not down the throat or near the gills. It has been well documented that the salmon and steelhead do pick them up. Its why they pick up roe, artificial worm, fly's ,corky's , hard lures like spoon, Spinners and my favourite Ghost shrimps. Three reasons I believe . One its instinct for them to eat it. So they are biting out of instinct Even though their throat are restricted not allowing them to swallow. Two I also read an article that they ( salmon ) will try to destroy other competitive salmon fertilized eggs also. Three it pure aggression that something is coming into their space and they don't like it.
I love your contributions and grateful that you spend so much time sharing information. I have to call old wives tale though on the restricted throat and inability to swallow of salmon and steelhead. Even salmon are actively feeding on roe in the river and can digest it. https://www.deneki.com/2012/09/pacific-salmon-feeding-in-fresh-water/

Alaska has a regulation of no more than 2 inches from hook to bead and even that can produce some strange hook positions outside the mouth in eyes etc. I've never seen beads used for salmon, just rainbows and dollies so you know the fish was almost definitely at least trying to eat the bead and was not flossed. If not in place already might be good for BC to get a regulation on hook distance from bead in place.

Been fishing beads on the Cowichan this season, lots of success with cutties, bows and browns. Even had a late season coho slam one before the new year. Found pegging them 1-2 inches above the hook worked best.

Back