The 15th Annual Just for the Halibut Derby.

porcupine

The 15th Annual Just for the Halibut Derby will be held on May 14th and 15th. The tides will be very strong in the morning so take that into consideration when making your plans. Good luck to all. For more info contact Island Outfitters. 250-475-4969 or www.fishingvictoria.com

Think hes talking about the elk lake kids derby... Tom is getting old you know LOL LOL

I was thinking about tomorrow's Elk Lake Derby! I am geting old.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a warning for anyone using Cattle point boat ramp, the Oakbay 1/2 marathon will create road closures on beach drive Sunday May 15
if you don't launch early, probably won't be till after noon

Just a warning for anybody that hasn't looked at a tide chart yet , be careful there very strong currents .Have a look at a current chart and find out where it might be a little slower.

Ya a little surprised to see it being run that weekend? Anybody know why either that they usually have it around that weekend every year? Scary to think how many newbs wont be checking tides and dropping the hook wherever

When they were looking at the days, all the best tides were mid week and that just wouldn't work. They thought that this was the best option. At least it wasn't on Mother's Day again!

Im not going in it this year because of the tides too bad really, as My clients have come out 5 yrs in a row and they want to fish all day.cant with these tides.....so they didnt want to come....:(

Good luck to everyone in this weekend's derby! Be sure to boat and anchor safely. I'll be at the derby all weekend so be sure to say hello.

Hope no one is planning on throwin the pic off the race in the am 6kt ebb yuk. Good luck to everybody!

Congrats Al and Steve ,nice fish. The derby went well with great weather on sat and calm seas and rain on sun, there was even quite a few fish around as well!

Wonder how much it lost when they bled it?
202 lb would have got them $20,000
I would have left the hooks and bait in it all the way to the scale. LOL

Tips

I'll bet that fish went to outfitter's right away...
i'm sure those guys have caught enough to know they had one darn close
to a 20K bonus !

Back