Thawing and re packaging/freezing salmon.

Birdsnest

Once again I did not get a lot of springs in my freezer, no biggie. Since this is my situation I have two frozen whole springs that I intended to smoke but I wouldn't mind just thawing them and portioning them for regular eating.
Can I thaw portion and refreeze my fish without ruining it? Ive heard its a no no but I thought I run it past folks here to see if I can.

Thanks for your help.

When I take fish to St Jeans Cannery for processing whole fish into fillets it's often several weeks before I hear back for pickup. I am assuming they freeze and then thaw for processing however have never asked.

I wouldn't unless you smoke them once thawed and refreeze.
I think the flesh would turn soft and pasty otherwise.

Buy yourself a bandsaw and cut them up frozen, then keep it for food use only
You can get cheap ones online from princess auto

Or you could take it to a butcher shop frozen whole and they will buck it up on their band saw for you. They charge a bit but it's not that expensive. Beats buying a band saw for a one time deal.

When I take fish to St Jeans Cannery for processing whole fish into fillets it's often several weeks before I hear back for pickup. I am assuming they freeze and then thaw for processing however have never asked.

I talked to Gerard St Jean about this years ago and he acknowledged that they do partially thaw the salmon to fillet them.

you can thaw in your fridge until they reach a point where you can safely potion them up and then refreeze...the least amount possible...freezing equals cell wall rupture which equals moisture loss...
as long as you keep the fish in your fridge to thaw it will be safe...shorter timespan the better.

Reciprocating saw with a new blade and a helper to hold the fish while you cut it. I've done it and it worked great.

Don't recommend thawing and re-freezing.

Back