Tales From The Tyee Pool........2017...

Good morning and here's a brief update from last evening.

Lots of boats out last night and we saw a couple of hook-ups but when we left nothing had been registered and we'd not heard the bell.

We should have hung around.

Here's the slimmed-down version of that Troy Perras guy and his lovely rodman, one Larry Dougan, with their second Tyee of the past few days.

Seems like Troy figured something out when he rowed his first one and now he's got it down.

Anyway, here's the lovely couple with their 31 pounder along with a happy young fellow I heard they had in the boat for ballast. (I might have made that up.)

Well done men.

Larry-Dougan-31-lbs-Aug-31st-815-p.m.-on-a-spoon-rowed-by-Troy-Perras-300x225.jpg

Not aware of what happened this morning but will let you know if anything did.

Take care.

So it's 5:45 PM and I'm pleased to report the total has increased by one as the daily spoon dangler club racked up a nice 34 pounder just after midday today.

Here it is flanked by Rower John Barker and Rodman Don Swoboda.

DSCF0358-300x273.jpg

Waiting for Fish Assassin to darken my door so I can row him and daughter Jessica around tonight.

There is such a size discrepancy between the two that Jessica almost has to sit in his lap to keep the boat balanced.

It should be fun.

Take care.

Sunday morning and we have three more Tyee registered on the board.

All came in last night at or after dark.

First we have Darcy Houser with his nice 33 1/2 pounder rowed by Peter Wipper and caught on a plug.

From the beach we watched the fight as it went way outside before the fish succumbed and was boated.

DSCF0362-300x291.jpg

Next we have Bridget Pomeroy with her bright shiny 34 1/2 pounder rowed by Mick Pomeroy.

It too fell for a plug at dark.

Nice fish!!

DSCF0367-300x225.jpg

Finally, for last night at least, we have a new member name of Clyde Bergendahl with a 30 pounder on display.

Clyde was rowed by long-time rower Ken Mar, who is glad to be on the board again.

And here they are.

DSCF0374-300x292.jpg

Haven't walked the dog yet but will do an AM check shortly.

Have a great long weekend and.............................

Take care.

Monday afternoon and I'm once again pondering the capriciousness of the Tyee Pool.

As an old ex-Jordan River local surfer I am well-versed in capricious, or the unpredictability of some things, so I endure it here with the resolute good nature that comes with old age and the realization that life will go on regardless, even if I don't row another Tyee or ever register one myself.

Sure.

But damn it drives you crazy to see large salmon porpoising all around you or just off to one side or about 100' from where you just were, and all over the pool too.

And some porpoise slowly as if to show off their size, even more maddening.

No Tyee since Saturday to report, although we did have a lost rod c/w reel, line and favorite spoon reported last night.

Seems a well-known local rower found it "too uncomfortable" to hold the rod between his legs while rowing solo so put it in a rod-holder.

Seems a walloping strike by a good sized fish yanked the whole kit and caboodle from the holder and into the bosom of the Tyee Pool last evening, in front of a number of observers.

I'm starting a movement to begin calling him "Look Ma, no Hands" Gerald.

It could stick. LOL

Maybe tonight.

Take care.

Hello Dave!

It is David Soper, not Dan.....a nephew of mine and a heck of a fisherman!! Also a CR resident when he is not in camp.....

I will have to tease him on how small his fish is!!

BTW, he is the one on the right!

Hello Dave!

It is David Soper, not Dan.....a nephew of mine and a heck of a fisherman!! Also a CR resident when he is not in camp.....

I will have to tease him on how small his fish is!!

BTW, he is the one on the right!

Thanks. I'm disgusted at myself for getting his name wrong.

Don't know how that happened other than it's a strange and unusual name. LOL

Take care.

Today was the date for my annual check-up/physical with my Doctor and I thought the pic of Ken Enn's Tyee from last night would be available by the time that was finished but I just looked and don't see it.

Anyway, the past several evenings have been slow with a few unders counted but only one Tyee and that rowed by Ken Enns but I don't know the name of the successful angler yet. (It's Todd Beadle)

That makes 33 so far, not too shabby by recent modern standards.

Couple of adventures to pass along here as things have been happening in the pool regardless of lack of Tyee.

Two nights ago I rowed Rob, the rodman when we hooked Leaping Lena a couple of weeks ago, and his Dad.

Now Rob's an experienced angler and has had a few go-outs in the pool now so when he muttered "There it is," as he struck hard I naturally assumed we'd hooked a fish.

Pulling hard on the oars I looked for a clear path out of the pool as Rob wrestled with whatever we'd hooked. I could see the rod bucking, even though it was near dark, and line seemed to be disappearing off the reel when Rob allowed as to something didn't seem right.

I slowed my rowing pace and tried to figure out what was happening when it came into focus that another boat had also headed out with a rodman on a bent rod, and they weren't all that far away either.

It was way too late to retract my "FISH ON!!" yell that had alerted everyone within earshot that we'd hooked up, and I noticed with some chagrin the guys in the other boat hadn't yelled a thing, but were simply engaged in untangling the mess that intersecting plugs can sometimes make.

No line cutting was involved and when the other boat threw our plug back I slunk back into the pool after quickly changing hats in order to throw off the hounds.

I've built up an inventory of different hats that I keep stashed in my rowboat for those times when I need a good disguise while rowing the pool, mostly designed to throw Bob Main off my trail.

Had to laugh at Bob's rowing partner yesterday when he mentioned that my disguises are getting so good now that the other night I looked just like Neil Cameron rowing my boat.

I had lent my boat to Neil to row a couple of visitors when I was out of service a bit a few days back., but LMAO at the comment.

Yesterday there were a half dozen of the daily dangler crew out jockeying around for position on the bar during the flood when I noticed my old rower CC goofing around on the inside of the bar by himself. CC is "fishy" and had not only the first Tyee of the year but also a half dozen or so unders too to date and was experimenting as it turned out.

Couple of hours later CC is on my couch telling me about what had happened.

He'd been trying to make a big bucktail type fly he intended to troll around just to see what would happen by utilizing one with the hook cut off, a tube from a big tube-fly and another bucktail with a hook attached, all combined into one rather large and undulating fly. Upon completing his new lure he took a couple of strokes to gain momentum and started letting out line.

Reaching his favorite number of pulls before putting on a weight he laid the rod and reel across his lap, reached for the line and started affixing the weight when he got a strong strike, completely catching him off guard. He grabbed for his rod and reel.

The strike was strong enough it spun the reel violently with the result that one of the handles whacked CC hard right on the outside of his wrist joint where it gouged out a chunk and started quite a bleeding episode.

He might have uttered a few choice words as he shook his wrist after grabbing the rod while blood spattered around inside his boat, all the while with the fish still hooked on the large fly, but the choicest words came out when he discovered the fish that had struck was but a common Rockfish and not a salmon at all.

I shan't repeat what he said then, being this is a family site, but apparently they were quite good and very descriptive words, well-known to most anglers of a certain age.

He showed me his wounded wrist and, as a good friend I did what all good friends do at times like that, I laughed and laughed and laughed.

It's mandatory in cases like this.

Of for lunch now so.............

Take care.

Last edited:
Keep the reports coming @Dave H ... they are a great read. I was fortunate enough to make it up to CR last week for my first row ever. An experienced rower (I'll spare his name in case he doesn't like being on the internet) took me out Thursday night and I managed to hook a fish on my first tide! It was the first fish we saw that night and we were ecstatic when it hit the spoon and I was able to set the hook. The next few minutes were chaotic as the fish ran over another anglers line and was also tangled around the tiller handle of that same anglers boat. My rower got us over to that boat and I was able to free my line pretty quickly and, very luckily, the fish was still on the hook when it was all said and done. When I caught up the slack the fish leaped into the air and all of the boats around cheered me on while I fought my first fish in the tyee pool. We rowed the fish to deeper water and eventually netted what turned out to be a 25lber. No tyee but an amazing experience for me nonetheless.

Last edited:
It just started to drizzle rain here, much like what happened as my scheduled rodmen showed up last evening, making it look like less than the fun to it can be, so I did not row last night.

Naturally, new fish had arrived and two of them weighing over 30 lbs. were registered, even as I sat at home pondering why I've been jinxed this year. Even my disguises aren't working anymore.

But congratulations are in order to:

New member of the Tyee Club, Judy Janzan, who boated a 32 pound beauty last night. A close relative named Rick Janzan was the rower and a plug was the successful lure.

No pics right now as there's a glitch in the system and they haven't been published yet. But a big WELL DONE! is in order.

Next we have another new member named Donna Garber, who registered a lovely 34 lb. Tyee last night that fell for a plug being towed by Dale Blackburn.

Again, no pic yet but a WELL DONE! is again required.

Lastly, that venerable duo of John Barker holding the rod and Joe Painter rowing hit another Tyee this morning, a 37 pounder that had them as giddy as school girls, according to someone who was there.

You'll recall that they managed a 30 1/2 back in August, at which time they apparently whooped and hugged and jigged around like they had never caught one before.

My eyewitness claimed it was super neat to watch two old coots who have caught any number of Tyee in years past act like rookies with their first one.

Still a natural high to score a Tyee even after so many before.

I'll end with the brief story of the Weasel in the woodpile (actually a Mink) facing off with my mutt, Buddy the Wonderdog, over a salmon head Buddy had skillfully maneuvered out of the head pail onto the lawn while nobody was looking.

Three of us were chatting in the clubhouse when I noticed Buddy was not only trying to figure out how to consume a large salmon head but was exchanging growls with some kind of high-pitched sounding critter that was obviously in the woodpile next to the fence. I wandered over, retrieved the fish head and put it back where it belonged then took a look at the woodpile to see what was making all the hissing/snarling noise, although I suspected it would be a Mink, common around the Spit.

Sure enough, there he was, sticking out just enough to watch us as he snarled away with all the fury he could muster up.

I told Buddy to not stick his nose too close to the Mink and he obeyed so no battle ensued but it would have been a good one as Buddy is half Cairn Terrier so has a strong genetic make-up designed to make him go after small furry critters. He can't help it.

Anyway, lacking Tyee pictures, here's the vicious little beast telling me off as I took his photo.

RSCN5104.JPG

I watched a couple of these little guys playing along the rockwork bank near where my boat is moored a few days back and they hadn't noticed me so were frolicking around like crazy no more than 10' away.

Neat little buggers.

Take care.

Good to hear that Joe and John are still getting into them. Joe Painter is my great uncle and I have fond memories of them pulling slabs from the pool up his dock 20 years ago when I was a kid. I need to pull the old wooden tyee boat out of the shop and get back up there.....maybe next year....

Thanks for keeping this thread going with constant updates Dave it's really awesome.

Friday evening and time for a pictorial update followed by a new Tyee registered tonight update ending with my sob story of the night update.

So here we go with Ken Enns, Todd Beadle and a lady holding aloft their recent 30 1/2 pounder. Took a spoon.

Todd-Beadle-30.5-lbs-Sep-5th-830-p.m.-on-a-spoon-rowed-by-Ken-Enns-compressed-300x208.jpg

Next we have a new member of the Tyee Club, one Judy Janzan with her 32 pounder fooled by a plug and rowed by Rick Janzan.

Judy-Janzan-new-member-32-lbs-Aug-6th-805-p.m.-on-a-plug-rowed-by-Rick-Janzan-300x226.jpg

And then there's new member of the Tyee Club Donna Garber with her very nice 34 pounder rowed by Dale Blackburn. It too fell for a plug.

Donna-Garber-new-member-34-lbs-Sep-6th-745-p.m.-on-a-plug-rowed-by-Dale-Blackburn-300x225.jpg

Finally, we have a pair of old-timers who apparently still get excited when they register a Tyee with their 37 pounder from Thursday morning. John Barker on the rod and Joe Painter on the oars.
They also caught a 28 1/2 pounder this morning I'm told. By the way, their 37 was caught on a spoon.

John-Barker-37-lbs-Sep-7th-540-a.m.-on-a-spoon-rowed-by-Joe-Painter-300x225.jpg

This brings us to tonight when I saw Jeremy Maynard tow a fish out of the pool earlier, watched as they fought it and heard the whoops of joy when Jeremy netted it and declared it a Tyee simply by looking at it.

And it was, and is now the newest Tyee registered as at an hour ago. No pic yet but I think the new member is named Blair Howell and his fish weighed 37 pounds.

Here's the pic.

Blair-Howell-new-member-37-lbs-Sep-8th-720-p.m.-on-a-plug-rowed-by-Jeremy-Maynard-300x225.jpg

And now for the sob story.

You'll recall I rowed an old pal named Dano to a 29 1/2 pounder a while back, after four or five years of nothing, so when I had need of a rodman tonight I called and asked if he'd like another try.

He was available so we arranged to meet at my boat and I got busy setting up three rods. I put my ancient The Stewart spoon on one rod, a severely scarred up with teeth marks plug called The Silver Horde on another and a brand new Rex Field Shovel-nose plug on the third.

Getting out just before high tide with little water movement we started with the spoon, figuring I could vary speeds until we got it to beat properly until the ebb flow picked up a bit.

Turning inside around the big red mooring buoy at the south end of the pool we got a solid whack but didn't hook up. That was encouraging for sure but I wanted to try both plugs also, so after giving the spoon a good swim we switched to the old Silver Horde. It twitched and wiggled ok but I wasn't impressed by its action so after two trips we quickly switched to the Rex Field.
Having fished it once before I knew it had a quick action, being much slimmer in the tail section, but I recognized the flow conditions were such that I should be able to fish it deep and slow, which is what you want for big fish usually, and there were a lot of big fish showing in a certain area of the pool so I concentrated on that area and found myself in a really good spot with the plug working well and reacting well to my speed changes too.

And then the rod dipped and I yelled "Hit it!"

Dano didn't hit it right away but did react quickly when I repeated myself.

Again, it didn't seem like much of anything and I actually feared for an instant I'd fooled another Dogfish, but a short strong run changed my mind so I found my opening and towed whatever we'd hooked outside of the pack where I reminded Dano of a couple of things whilst maneuvering around to get the fish downstream of us.

It wasn't anywhere near being an exciting battle but once again we realized we had a strong and stubborn fish hooked up so we took our time and Dano traded line back and forth with the fish as best he could.

Ten minutes later and I was still trying to row away from the fish as it sounded, came half way back then made several more short runs before showing itself some 40' or so away from us.

It looked big. Actually quite big, having both length and a huge tail.

It was definitely a Tyee, judging by what we could see of it, but I didn't allow myself to say it quite yet.
I was afraid to.
Didn't want to jinx things.

Five minutes later and we had the fish closer but still stubborn and strong, which it demonstrated by making the longest run of the fight and back towards the pool too.

I rowed madly to haul the darn thing back outside as someone else rowed out south of us with a fish in tow also.

Dano stayed right tight on the fish and remarked it seemed to be weakening a bit after the long run it had made. I knew I was.

But it would not come near the boat for what seemed like an increasingly worrisome time, worrisome in that the longer they are hooked the easier it can be for the hook to come free.

And that's exactly what happened moments after Dano had the fish near the boat for the first time where it thrashed wildly before making another short run away.

He turned it easily so I picked up the net and waited for him to bring it within range.

Literally two feet short of the net it made a mad flip and the plug flew up in the air as the hook came loose.

I had three good looks at that fish and it was every inch a Tyee, looking to be mid-thirties or better.

I wanted to weep and wail but Dano took it really well and was stoked to have actually hooked another fish in the pool this year.

Perhaps he summed it up best when he said, "At least we don't have to get all messy cleaning a fish now, and that was fun."

Sure................................sure........................................and it WAS fun.........................................but damn.

I so wanted to see him ring the bell.

Take care.

Last edited:
Dave
Great story! Sad to hear the fish got away - but that's not all bad. Sounds like you both did a great job.
Sometimes fish win. Chances are this one will be on its way up stream very soon.
Keep up the great work. We all look forward to hearing more.
Adios Amigo
Stosh

Many thanks,Dave for your great tales. We all know the instant heartbreak of losing a beauty at the boat. And as has been said "yes, sometimes the fish wins". Again , thanks for your thread!!

How do you keep the line beed chain /snap ring on a plug to the single hook thraveling upright at slow speeds ? what is inline from snap ring at plug to the hook that allows the thump,thump on the rod and knowing the hook is traveling corectly?These plugs you are using are made for 3x3 and rules of club state 1 .thanks for the updates been a pleasure visting everyday .fc

How do you keep the line beed chain /snap ring on a plug to the single hook thraveling upright at slow speeds ? what is inline from snap ring at plug to the hook that allows the thump,thump on the rod and knowing the hook is traveling corectly?These plugs you are using are made for 3x3 and rules of club state 1 .thanks for the updates been a pleasure visting everyday .fc

The hook is attached to a swivel so rotates as influenced by the water-flow past the plug and essentially acts like a keel below the plug. My older plugs all have significant wear marks near the tail where the hook has scraped across the plug as it works.

When the fish hits the plug the hook is essentially knocked from the "keel" position so is able to hook the fish.

Hope that's clear and glad you enjoy the thread.

Take care.

Back