Tales From The Tyee Pool...........2016....

Alas, no Tyee for my boat tonight but not the same story for Fred Gerl, who rowed a 31 1/2 pounder.

That made three Tyee today and the fish looked fresh in, which is a good sign.

Spoons seem to be the winning choice today as all three Tyee came on spoons and my old rower CC had an epic battle with a good fish today which came off after better than a half hour scrap, also hooked on a spoon.

He was both elated with the fight and disappointed with the loss at the end, but what a day here after such a long dry spell.

Hopefully the weather will improve over the weekend and we'll get one ourselves. I'm due.

I'm switching to spoons for a bit, but it's hard to leave my proven plugs.

Ah, the quandary. LOL

Take care.

Last edited:
Sunday night about 9:20 or so as I type this and it was one of those nights fishing when the lack of success doesn't matter one iota, given all that transpired in a short two hour period.

We arrived, turned the boat out to start rowing and a large Chinook rolled about 20' away from us, then another and another.

"You're right on them Dave," someone called. "Get 'em."

It was too shallow to start fishing but we eventually got going and made a few passes in the general area we'd seen the fish then worked our way south, towards the other group of boats.

Upon arriving I saw Fred Gerl rowing solo who advised me there was a pod of Chinook rolling and showing around there too.

We rowed on then swung about to retrace our tack when there was a commotion about 50' away as first one, then two then three big sea-lions surfaced and gave us the once-over look before heading off north.

A short time later someone yelled: "Look at the whales."

There was a small pod of Orcas a couple hundred feet outside the pool heading north so we all had a good look as did the people on the beach, a considerable number tonight despite the dark and ominous cloud that hung off to the west the whole evening.

With the campfire/ beach-fire ban off there were a number of fires along the beach and lots of people enjoying both the action in the pool and the colorful sunset.

We saw one boat hook a fish and pull out of the pool but they lost it about five minutes later and we saw no other action nor did the bell ring.

But gee it was a nice night.

Take care.

I'm blessed with two sisters, both of whom I love dearly and here's why.

Sister Lola sent me this pic from the Tyee Club website with the admonition that I needed to learn how to pose myself when I row a Tyee, like this guy.

Shamra-final-115K-300x225.jpg

Apparently someone is claiming an 84 1/2 pounder. :D:D

Take care.

After tonight I think I should just pack it in. (grumble grumble)

Despite having two excellent rod-holders and the best bite of the season happening all around us with people hooking up in all areas of the pool we didn't get a sniff.

Oh sure, we saw fish rolling all over, we saw a whale passing by and to add to the excitement big George Sawatsky fell out of his boat while admiring the 27 1/2 pounder they'd caught, requiring the assistance of two or three rowboats as well as a larger commercial boat to get him back onboard.

I didn't see them use a winch or anything but George is not a small man. LOL

So, no Tyee but at least five or six fish weighed in and several more hooked but lost.

All in all an eventful night in the Tyee Pool.

Wish you were here.

Take care.

Dave
Always great reading your reports. Wish I was back in the pool.
Thank you,
Stosh

Last edited:
Finally, another Tyee and another new and happy member of the Tyee Club of BC.

Meet Karen Hutton, the happy new member, Peter Wipper, the rower, and the ever-lovely Bob the Weighmaster who is still pining for a 40 pounder.

Karen-Hutton-new-member-33.5-lb-Tyee-on-a-plug-rowed-by-Pete-Wipper-Sep-7-2016-@-810-pm.jpg

Last night we switched things a bit and fished two spoons and an elderly Tomic that I had to try, given it had the word GOOD penned on it as well as a few good teeth markings.

Nothing worked and we saw but two unders and the one Tyee weighed in so it was a lot slower than the previous evening.

A 26 was weighed in this morning but nothing else I'm aware of.

Maybe tonight............

Take care.

Well we had a roller-coaster of a night tonight with one new Tyee, a 30 1/2 pounder rowed by Randy Killoran with his gal pal Connie Kretz on the rod.

We're thinking Randy is stuck in a rut now, what with all three of his Tyee this year at 30 1/2 pounds.

I had my lawyer and friend out for the fourth or fifth year in a row and with the weird water tonight we tried a spoon first, then one of my new Tomics and then finally my tried and true Lucky Louie, passed from Elmer Davis to Linnea Antonelli then to me.

It still works as we managed a small one tonight, 22 1/2 pounds, wild, 36" long and a bit colored.

We got it after moving into where I'd seen fish all evening and where someone else had just hooked a fish and was fighting it inside the flotilla just north of us.

Knowing it's shallower there we shortened up about 10', kept clear of the other boat and bingo, there was a good strike and a solid hook-up so with a clear path out of the pool we moved outside and Stewart played it to boat-side where I netted it.

Nothing spectacular but a nice change from our previous unsuccessful attempts so big grins all around.

I'll post a pic tomorrow.

Stewart and his "boot", and it only took five years/attempts to get it too. Seems happy enough and it was fun.

There was another under at 26 pounds and a couple fish lost so all in all not a bad night.

Take care.

Last edited:
And here's Randy and Connie with their 30 1/2 pounder which made Connie a new member of the club.

DSCF0112-243x300.jpg

Note that of the nine Tyee registered Randy has three and all on a spoon.

That's a big well done from here as it's harder to boat them on a spoon than it is with a plug normally.

Take care.

That sure is a beaute... err... boot. Had a blast Dave! Here's to another five years. I'll bring down some smoked boot later in the Fall. :)

It's raining steadily here as I type this and I still smell a bit fishy as my hot plug scored again tonight.

I had big Bud out for the umpteenth time and we finally managed to put a fish in the boat, albeit a small one, when we had a strike and even without me netting it managed to bring to hand the biggest Bullhead I've ever rowed. I should have taken a pic of it but a quick release was in order as it definitely wasn't a Tyee.

Not long after on perhaps our third tack along a very inside route and with a shortened set-up we had a strike and soon had the smallest Chinook I've ever boated sharing space in the boat.
It weighed only 17 1/2 pounds but boating two fish in two nights is pretty heady stuff for me so I'm stoked.

As well, it's good to have a plug you know catches fish.

Here's Bud, 6'4" and 280 or so showing off his tiddler. LOL

And here's the fish fresh in the boat.

Seems like I'm weeding out the little ones this year as they are getting smaller all the time.

Gone from a 25 to a 22 1/2 to this little guy at 17 1/2. Still fun from a rowboat though so I'm not giving up yet.

Take care.

Lots of hard rowing against a persistent wind tonight with nothing caught from the Tyee Pool although a couple of guys showed up at dark with a nice clean fish they'd caught rowing way down by the government wharf.

It looked like a 25 pounder and weighed in at 24 1/2, so not a bad guess at all.

Hoping to get Owen the Fish Assassin and his daughter out tomorrow for another shot at it.

Hope it's not windy.

Take care.

BIG NEWS!!

Walking my dog earlier and at about a distance of 100 meters from the Tyee clubhouse we heard the bell being rung signifying a Tyee had been registered.

Upon arriving we saw the fish hanging below the Tyee Club sign and the numbers next to it read: 36 1/2 pounds.

So we have a new leader on the board replacing Bruce Aikman's 34 1/2 which started us off this year.

The lucky angler is Drews Driessen, rowed by Jeremy Maynard, one of the better rowers around for sure.

The interesting tidbit is that this fish was caught way south of the Tyee Pool, down by the government wharf where so many fish have been holding this year.

It was female, wild and quite a clean fish too.

I'll have pics up later, but in the meantime, a big WELL DONE to the new leaders on the board from here.

Take care.

Last edited:
Well it was deja vu all over again this morning as Buddy and I were a mere 100 meters away from the clubhouse when the bell pealed out three strong bongs.

My pace quickened, much to the chagrin of Buddy who was more interested in sniffing the cute female dog he'd just met, and we hustled into the parking lot just in time to encounter Norm Lee, heading out.

"That yours?" I asked.

"Nope," he replied. "Fred Gerl and a 31 1/2 pounder. Nice clean fish too."

Norm mentioned he'd been helping Fred a bit as Fred had a slightly dislocated shoulder.

With that I wandered into the front yard just in time to see Fred carrying his fish to the cleaning table just as I realized I didn't have my camera on me.

After congratulating him on his success and finding out what he caught it on and where he hooked it at I asked about his shoulder.

"Had a heckuva time holding the rod under my arm on the one side and trying to row with the other arm and the fish was crazy and jumped several times which really torqued my shoulder," he explained.

"I'd sculled into position, hooked the fish then managed to pull out where I got caught in the first push of the ebb, all the while holding the rod on the dislocated shoulder side," he went on.

"That fish was aerial several times then ran right at me and banged right into the boat," he said. "Couldn't believe it stayed on."

So we have another Tyee and a nice clean fish too.

Well done Fred and particularly so given he did it solo and with a bad shoulder.

Hoping still.

Take care.

What can I say?

Tonight I rowed FishAssassin again and after a short tow of one of my new Tomics we switched to the tried and true Lucky Louie that has accounted for the three unders I've rowed earlier this season.

We favored the north end of the pool as fish were showing there and the small ebb current made it an easy row. As magic time arrived we were in a good place so slowly worked our way down the line I like, flirting with the shallow water along the bar because a lot of fish were showing in that area.

True to form, just after we left the top of the line a bite went off with two cries of: "Fish on!" ringing out at nearly identical times followed by another and then three rowers pulled hard for the outside.
We were quite a distance away and had our line pulled in when one of the anglers fighting a fish yelled that the fish had run inside from him and was now near us. We saw it on the surface south of us but moved away a bit more to accommodate the fellow and they moved away with fish in tow thereafter.

Once the boats with fish on moved outside we moved quickly to establish a good position, got set-up and headed through the productive spot, the plug working its magic behind us.

And nothing happened.

We repeated our circuit two or three times and were on my favored inside track amongst others when whammo, we got bit and Owen set the hook while I made a couple of strong pulls on the oars.

Being hooked up and on the inside means one must find an expedient path outside asap, so I took a quick look while alerting the two boats I needed to get around and set my course, rowing all the while to keep tension on the line.

The one boat pulled strongly northward and quickly was out of the way but the other seemed slightly uncertain which way to go even though my path was fairly obvious but after completing a 360 he managed to scoot away and outside we went, the fish in hot pursuit as Owen reeled like mad as I pulled hard on the oars.

In the end this may have been the act that allowed the fish to escape boat-side as it twisted off just prior to any netting attempt.

I suspect that by running to us and then being close on a short line we got fooled into thinking it was ready so when Owen tried to bring it to the net it was still feisty enough to spin quickly and get off.

Or perhaps the moonlight reflecting off the water made it hard to see and I should have had it.

Regardless, it was a lost fish and most likely not a Tyee, judging by what we saw of it.

So in three trips with me we've hooked up twice and managed one boated albeit at only 25 pounds. Not bad though.

There WAS another Tyee this evening and it weighed 32 1/2 pounds, rowed by master rower Ross Speirs and brought to the net by a ladie whose last name is Davies but I can't recall her first name as I type this. Laura perhaps?? Darn this aging stuff. LOL

Her name is Paula, not Laura. Duh! I checked, and here she and Ross are.

Paula-Davies-32.5-lb-Tyee-on-a-plug-rowed-by-Ross-Spiers-Sep-13th-2016-@-810-pm-arch-300x225.jpg

As well, there were at least six more undersize fish weighed with one at a heart-breaking 29 1/2 pounds boated by a Junior angler.

So close.

All in all a good night in the Tyee Pool was had by all and there appear to be new fish in for the last two nights too.

Maybe tomorrow............................

Take care.

Last edited:
You're very welcome and it turned out well for another intrepid rower this morning as a 31 1/2 pounder made the grade, rowed by Tim Samuels with a rod-holder whose name I do not know right now.

(It was Roy Grant)

Here's their fish this morning.

I also had a chat with an old friend earlier and he gave me a couple of tidbits of advice regarding the best way to get a fish out of the pool after hooking it and what to watch out for under certain circumstances. He'd watched us last night with our hook-up.

Everything he shared was received with gratitude from me because there are often certain things one may not think of until they happen and if you are aware of the best action to take rather than fumbling around at those times you'll have a much better chance at boating that fish.

I am often amazed at how little I really know about the most simple and common sense things relative to this Tyee fishing and really feel better now having learned a couple of new things thanks to a sharing friend.

Now I just need a few more hook-ups to put my new knowledge to good use.

Here fishy fishy............

Take care.

Last edited:
It's 4:00 PM and in two hours I'll be picking up one of the two cute blondes that will grace my boat tonight.

One of them along with her friend were my intrepid rod-holders last night, perhaps the loveliest night of the season, and even though we covered the area where all the action had been the night before, nothing happened and there was very little in the way of action seen by us.

In fact, it was a very quiet night fish-wise with but two unders weighed in but oh my, was it ever lovely fishing under the nearly full moon. I wanted to howl.

It was equally lovely first thing this morning and once again there was a Humpback whale blowing spume high into the bright morning sunlight mid-channel as Buddy and I took our walk.

I saw a 25 pounder from this morning weighed in and it was a nice clean fish, which always raises the hope that new fish have arrived, so tonight, the last night of the season could be intense......or not.

Just an hour ago as I enjoyed my last pre-rowing meal at Jiggers I watched as an intrepid fly fisherman worked the area around the big red mooring buoy just south of the Tyee Pool, from his stand-up paddleboard. He'd set up then cast as the flood carried him toward the wharf, whereupon he'd stash his rod, grab his paddle and re-position himself for another drift.

I hope he finds a Coho, 'cause there are a few around as one was caught in the pool a couple of days ago, and I'd love to see someone who tries weird things have success.

Anyway, a wee nap is in order then off we go again.

Wish me luck.

Take care.

Back