Tales From The Tyee Pool.....2013...

Dave H

Opening day of the 2013 Tyee season and I've launched the boat so I can row about getting in shape before the fish show up.
I'll be contacting my faithful rodholders when we get some action happening so be prepared you guys and gals.

Here she is, couple new coats of varnish and she's sparkling in the sunlight.

At her new berth and ready to rock and row.

Take care.

Looking forward to reading and hopefully participating this year Dave :) That boat is sexy ;)

Checking last years thread, things ramped up in the middle of August. Any predictions for this year?

PM Sent...

That is such a cool thing to do, and what a gorgeous boat to do it in!

I have a similar thing with springs---I have to use these giant old pre-War Hardy reels when I fish for them---they weigh a ton but it sure is exciting getting a fish on them and hearing the ratchet of those old reels roar. Maybe in the same neighborhood as getting a tyee on paddle power in a wooden boat

Yep.

It lives with me there.

Take care.

I'm looking forward also.

Just a heads up as there have been a couple of changes this year.

A new couple, Bob and Judy are living in and running the Tyee Clubhouse this season, replacing Bing and Fran, a tough act to follow.
Say hello when you drop in.

The bad news is the Tyee Club has raised the fee to register from 10 bucks to 20 bucks, starting this year.

Three boats out last night as a symbolic start to the season and our first offender breaking the no motor rule plowed through the pool this morning.

A seiner.

Take care.

Needed to bump the thread with nothing to report yet so here's a pic of Larry the lovesick Swan.

I'll start calling people when some fish show up so hang in there faithful rodholders.

Take care.

Nothing to report as yet although unreliable sources claim to have seen one roll today in the pool and an equally spurious report of a fish hooked and lost today has surfaced but the reporter is known to take a drink before noon so one must be careful what one believes.

Should be several caught tomorrow morning though, as I turned down an opportunity to be a rod-holder for RK at 5:00 AM in the morning.

I must be crazy.

Take care.

Hi Dave
Not sure if you want this here or if you want another thread started but I think I will post it here for now. I have read all your reports on the tyee pool from the last couple of years and it seems like a lot of fun up there. I have a 9’ clinker style fiberglass row boat that I was looking to put a small 2.5 hp motor on and start trolling for salmon. I looked around for a cheap used but good motor but never came across an offering that I could afford or that would be good. On a recent trip to Kye bay I started rowing for salmon off cape Lazo. I headed out from Kye bay to the buoys each night I was there and had some successes each night. None that hit the 62cm mark but there were some that came close. I really enjoyed the exercise and the challenge. I was using an old deep six diver I found in my grandpa’s shed with a coyote spoon. I have started rowing for salmon here on the south coast a little and I have had to change to a slip weight and a flasher to even get the pinks but so far no springs. I am wondering if you have any advice on gear that is good to use while rowing and any other advice that would be helpful for chasing springs in a rowboat. I lost a couple of good ones in the beginning especially when rowing into the wind. A fish would hit and I would grab the rod to set the hook, by the time I had the rod in my hand the line was completely slack. I now see the hit and take a couple more hard strokes to set the hook and then grab the rod.
I would like to try plugs but I think the plugs are designed to be trolled at a faster pace. Any advice would be great. I am going to continue rowing here on the south coast and will be staying up in Kye bay again near the end of august so wind permitting I would like to go out there each night or morning.
Thanks
Angus

Hi Angus,

First, good on ya for fishing via rowboat as a change of pace and good luck with it.

I'm afraid the type of rowboat trolling we do here is totally different from what you are doing insofar as you're fishing for feeding fish generally and we aren't. Here it's a terminal fishery for non-feeding fish so we are looking to incite a reaction strike to an annoyance (plug or spoon) rather than imitating whatever the primary feed is wherever you are.
Plugs are normally trolled slightly faster as you noted but methinks with the style of fishing nowadays that there are more effective imitative lures available in either "hootchies" or spoons you should be using more than plugs.
As to missing strikes........stick with the basics......very sharp hooks and a slightly tighter drag help when fishing alone and I've watched my buddy hook and boat a few fish from the Tyee Pool when rowing himself and holding the rod under his leg. With 20 lb test line you can get away with a pretty tight drag which can quickly be slackened after the strike normally.
As to sharp hooks, well, last year the second Tyee I rowed was boated by an angler who completely blew the strike but the super-sharp hook stuck in the jaw long enough that a second strike managed to set the hook deep enough we managed to subdue a 30 1/2 pounder.

Experiment a bit but be aware of what the fish are feeding on and imitate that.......pretty basic stuff.

Good luck and all the best.

Take care.

Hot off the press and fresh from the Tyee Pool not more than 40 minutes ago, the first Tyee of the season weighed in at 34 1/2 lbs.

Rowed by Randy Killoran with faithful rodholder Fred Gerl being the angler of record, the fish fell for a spoon, fished ever so seductively at just the right place and during daytime primetime, something ever changing with the tides.

I'm claiming RK basically called this fish to me last nite as we discussed my reticence to get up at 4:00 AM even for him, as I'd taken a rain check on his offer of the day before and felt compelled to explain why so, given the respect I have for his knowledge and experience.
Anyway, he said he'd seen a few thousand Pinks move into the lower river the past couple of days and that there were always a Chinook or two with them. He then allowed as to how he was off home for a good night's sleep and that he was going too be on the dayshift too.

I think he just might know what he's talking about eh what??

Well done Randy and Fred.

Take care.

Thanks Dave
Glad to hear the tyee season has officially kicked off there now. Look forward to hearing about the happenings in the pool.
Angus

Update for today....... still only one Tyee, one undersize at 27 lbs just weighed in, a sinking, a rescue plus a sunken rowboat retrieval.

Nothing exciting I'm afraid.

Take care.

Here's the documentation celebrating the first Tyee of this season.
Kudos to Randy and Fred for getting it.

Hopefully more to come.

Take care.

Hot off the press........... local newsboy rows second Tyee of season.

Yep, Neil Cameron enticed another 34 1/2 pounder to bite and trusty rodholder Brent did the rest.

Didn't even have to change the board numbers.

Well done.

Take care.

Update:

No new Tyee but slightly improving evening tides coming up.

I've called a few of my trusty rodholders but there is nothing to get too excited about as yet.

Couple of buddies visiting this weekend and will pound the pool so we should get some feedback from that.

I'll be contacting some of you next week or as soon as some number of fish show up.

Hang in there.

Take care.

Update:

One new one last nite and two this morning.

I'm out with Randy Killoran later today and hope to improve my knowledge considerably.

Got friends here all weekend then good to go with my local rodholders so standby for alerts.

Take care.

Back