T-bolt replacement

bigredsnapper

I have a 17.5' with sliding windows and it's starting to get loose on the sides. Someone told me to replace the t-bolts all around. Any idea how big and difficult this job is? Thanks in advance BRS

You should be able to tighten the t bolts if they are loose .If they are rusted it could be a problem. Thanks Willyd

You should be able to tighten the t bolts if they are loose .If they are rusted it could be a problem. Thanks Willyd

Hey WillyD, they are all rusted real bad and the side windows are loose and it's starting to leak at the front and drip on my wiring. I obviously must remove the glass, replace the bolts and reseal. Has anyone ever done this themselves?

Hey WillyD, they are all rusted real bad and the side windows are loose and it's starting to leak at the front and drip on my wiring. I obviously must remove the glass, replace the bolts and reseal. Has anyone ever done this themselves?

My boat was in a accident a few years ago. The roof and windows ripped off. I had new glass and the aluminum redone. The t bolts came from hourston glascraft. They were hard to find. The water seal I got in nanaimo. It was not that big of a deal.

My boat was in a accident a few years ago. The roof and windows ripped off. I had new glass and the aluminum redone. The t bolts came from hourston glascraft. They were hard to find. The water seal I got in nanaimo. It was not that big of a deal.

I HAVE HAD TO MAKE SOME FOR A CUSTOMER OUT OF SS. JUST GRIND THE HEADS DOWN TO THE RIGHT THICKNESS AND THEN GRIND THE SIDES TO THE RIGHT WIDTH. SHOULD DO THE JOB.PUT A COAT OF LIGHT OIL ON THE BOLTS BEFORE THE NUTS GO ON AND THAT HELPS STOP THE BALLING UP WHEN TIGHTENING THE NUTS.

I HAVE HAD TO MAKE SOME FOR A CUSTOMER OUT OF SS. JUST GRIND THE HEADS DOWN TO THE RIGHT THICKNESS AND THEN GRIND THE SIDES TO THE RIGHT WIDTH. SHOULD DO THE JOB.PUT A COAT OF LIGHT OIL ON THE BOLTS BEFORE THE NUTS GO ON AND THAT HELPS STOP THE BALLING UP WHEN TIGHTENING THE NUTS.

I ordered some a couple years ago> Google up the Taylor A. Nelson company, they still make 'em. They were $0.50 each from some marine supply place on the web. I just used Lordco sealer under the windows, and to properly seal the glass, you need to have a glass guy dig the windows out, clean the frames, and re-bed them. I had two out of three of my windows done like that, the other one that wasn't done leaks.

Last Chance Fishing Adventures

www.lastchancefishingadventures.com
www.swiftsurebank.com

brs. Am I right in saying that the bottom seal is leaking and not the windows. It is not a big job to do yourself . The key is to find the t bolts. Measure the ones you have. I tried the grinding of bolts. It took a while but I finally found T bolts. They slide into the tracking . The seal was a foam tape like the stuff used for canopies.The place that I got the tape is gone. Ask at a glass or marine place. Did it about 5 years ago and no leaks.The key on any job that you do yourself is proper tools and replacement parts. Thanks Willyd

How do you get the old rusty bolts out? They are hard to get at and I dont think I can reach them with a saw or grinder maybe try to clamp on with visegrips and try to snap them off.BRS

quote:Originally posted by bigredsnapper

How do you get the old rusty bolts out? They are hard to get at and I dont think I can reach them with a saw or grinder maybe try to clamp on with visegrips and try to snap them off.BRS

They snap off easy if you just wiggle the vice grips back and forth

Last Chance Fishing Adventures

www.lastchancefishingadventures.com
www.swiftsurebank.com

Put a socket on them.They will either break or come undone.

Back