Swordfish seen off the Brooks Peninsula

We are hyper-aware of the fact that the ocean is warming and therefore relate even the most insignificant sign of such as a dramatic indicator of what the future holds or of the impact the changing sea is having on its inhabitants. Swordfish have been spotted by commercial tuna fisherman dating back at least a few decades, Striped Marlin have also been spotted by rec fishermen and caught by commercial fisherman in BC waters. Swordfish have the highest tolerance for cold water of all billfish as they spend the majority of daylight hours well below the thermocline. Swordfish have also been harvested commercially (albeit bycatch) just south of the border in JDF canyon. We will see sport caught Swords off Vancouver Island soon, but all that indicates to me is that some crazy fisherman have the persistence to make it happen, it could have come 20-30 years ago if someone had put forth enough effort. The popularity of blue water fishing and deep dropping is going to change the face of fishing in BC IMO, and that has little to do with ocean warming.

Caught a Pomfret with some other members here in the shootout a couple years back leaving a small swim bait dangling overboard while floating at night. About 5 pounds or so.

Didn't know what it was and threw it back... oops!

Also, I agree with Harper ... I think this is just new news to the masses not an actual new development (coming from someone very concerned with the impacts of global warming on our salmon and steelhead stocks!).

I think if you talk to some of the guys fishing Tuna some will say they have hooked but never landed something big! Likely swordfish but no evidence yet that I’m aware of. As the ocean changes it will bring other interesting opportunities if we are prepared to think outside the box.

Yup. Something took our bait and 800 yards of line straight down one day. Who no's what it might have been?

there are also allot of different types of Sharks out there...that will rip your gear to shreads.
i commercially trolled for 35 plus years and spent many a seasons at Cape Cook and saw Great Whites a few times , lots of Blues ,Turtles,
some huge sunfish....brought a small one aboard to try to eat it and see what it taste like.... and dont advise anyone to try that. YUCK!

Had a beauty Thresher in our spread last year.
Only a matter of time as Harper says...

I think if you talk to some of the guys fishing Tuna some will say they have hooked but never landed something big! Likely swordfish but no evidence yet that I’m aware of. As the ocean changes it will bring other interesting opportunities if we are prepared to think outside the box.
Bigeye and bluefin tuna can handle about the same temps as swords and would also rock albacore gear. If I were running the spread I'd have a bigger lure on a 50w reel with a fluorocarbon windon leader WAY back..

In the early 1970’s I gillnetted with my dad up in Milbanke Sound each August. The place was alive with sharks. Salmon and blues were the most common but if you ventured out past Cape Mark you were into them pretty regularly. At the same time we were seeing Basking sharks in Barkley Sound. Nature runs some interesting cycles.

Back