Suzuki Shadow Black Colour Match Paint

Franko Manini

Folks,

If you are looking for some paint to touch up your black Suzuki motor, grab some if you see it on a shelf. Due to recent changes in Canadian law regarding the volatile organic compound (VOC) composition in paints and other materials, a lot of paint manufacturers are not shipping into Canada, UNLESS they have a paint formulation that already meets the new(ish) standard.

Nearly every supplier has compliant paints for Yamaha, OMC, Honda, Merc,etc. but all of the Suzuki Shadow Black has been dropped. The suppliers even carry the charcoal metallic for the older Suzukis, but there isn't a compliant paint for the Shadow Black at this time. Sceptre was planning on reformulating this colour to be compliant but then Moeller bought them and they changed the plan. ColorRite has a part number for the paint (MA4650-01 according to the Brown's Point Marina website) but neither BPM nor Suzuki (through their dealer network) will ship it to Canada. ColorRite has it's own website as well, but I could not confirm that I could get it shipped to Canada.

Luckily, I found a decent solution. I went down to my local autoparts store and found that they could match the paint and put it into an aerosol can for me. I brought the cowling down and they threw it on the machine and had me out the door in short order, albeit somewhat skeptical of the match accuracy. I was also able to buy the right primer and other items needed to do the job.

After having done my touch-ups I can say that the paint match was perfect. This might be an option for anyone else looking to do some repainting until the suppliers get their new paints on the market. In Victoria, I used JB's Auto. They were excellent to deal with and the match was outstanding. I hope this helps someone out.

Back