Surge brakes - Drum brakes

J

Jaws3D

I have a 2003 EZ loader 3500/4000 lb trailer, and was doing my annual maintenance yesterday. After inspection I think it is time to replace the brakes, as the pins for the hold down springs are completely coroded away on one brake. I think I was able to get away with it this long as I am about two minutes to the boat launch. Today I stopped at some auto parts stores and it was suggested that I replace the whole backing plate assembly as supposed to just the brake lining's, as when the brakes go usually everything else goes as well.

I thought I would check with the masses and see what everyone else does. Do most change the who backing plate assembly, or just the brake linings? For the price it seems like the whole assembly is a much better idea.

Also is there any good online places to order these parts, as my locals auto parts / marine stores were of very little help, as they had very little knowledge of boat trailers or braking systems. At first I was just after a spring kit for the hold down springs, and no one had any idea what that was.

Any responses are appreciated.

try ezloader.com , and you will find the parts you need.maybe find out who sells that brand locally.

Jaws, I did the same thing to my trailer. It's an older roadrunner so I went to there shop and bought the complete backing plate for $80.00 a side. 4 bolts and their on. Connect the hydraulic hose line for the new wheel cylinders, bleed the brakes, which is always a good thing and away you go. Roadrunner is on Mitchell Island if your in the lower mainland. I was going to replace the wheel cylinders, but at 30 bucks a wheel cylinder well... it only made sense to replace everything. New shoes,springs etc. Repack the bearings and she is good to go for the season. I've got 14" five bolt tires just for comparison sake.

I would go disc brakes if I have to change anything at least you can wash the disc offf the proble, with the drums is they get salt water in there and then rust and seize. its worth the extra cost

Yeah, it was cheaper to replace the whole backing plate assembly than just the few parts I needed. Then everything is new. You should probably check/replace the flex lines while you're at it.

Thanks for the responses. I was thinking about the brake flex lines as well. You gotta love the marine/salt environment on gear!

Back