Sunglasses -Costa Del Mar

Charter Tofino

Have never really been a fan of wearing sunglasses but i know i fry my eyes on sunny days fishing so I'm gonna bite the bullet. Does anyone here wear Costa Del Mars? Are they worth it?

Never heard of them. How Much???

I wear Maui Jims and love them. But,,, would not be happy losing them for sure. Have thought about looking for a more reasonable costing pair, but good UV protection is paramount and of course being on the water, also have to be polarized, and this I know is something to watch out for in cheaper glasses. One can actually do more harm to their eyes by wearing cheapo sunglasses by letting in more unfiltered light into the eye.

A little bit cheaper than Maui Jims but still to much $$$. Im also worried that ill trash/loose them and i hate babying gear. I will certainly have them in a case when not on my head and will likely wear one of those dorky lanyards when they are on my head.

Costa's are a great glasses and ton's of anglers wear them. Cheaper than Maui Jim's to boot. I used to wear Oakley's but their style got out of hand. Kaenon makes good glasses as well.

Yeah as sensible as the lanyards may be, I am not a fan of them.

I'll have to check these Costa's out. Every time I go to look at new Sun Glassses, I always seem to convince myself that the couple hundred for the glasses could be better used for other things, as I already have one great pair.

steepandcheap.com has screaming deals on costa's (60-80%) off, you just have to catch the deal. The regularily have oakleys as well...i usually see a pair daily in my regular deal searches lol

Thanks finished business thats a killer deal! Is the site reputable? If the sites good to go ill just hold off to see if the type i want pop up.

My thoughts on this are that most sunglasses are way overpriced for what you get. I used to work at both a snowboard shop then a surf shop and sold lots of sunglasses. I saw what you got for $100-$200 and it's more about the style and branding then the actual quality of the frame and lens. I have had $200 polarized sunnies from big brands. I say had because lossed or scratched them, it happens. I now buy the sunglasses that are reasonably priced. You can get a lens that is 100% uv protection and polarized, spring hinges, solid frames for under $50. Just grabbed a pair from Sports Traders in Victoria and they are great. $30. Find something that is comfortable, fits you face and nose, and is uv protected and polarized. Sometimes can't see digital displays of electronics with polarized, but it's a must for the water. Should also say that not all glasses fit the same, so I'd really recommend trying before buying....no online. Some of those online deals could be frames that don't fit right. We used to return lots of sunglasses to the manufacturer because of fit issues.

Oh, most sunglasses are all made in the same factories with the same materials. Some retail for $30 some for $300.

Last edited by a moderator:
Further to what Sculpin said.....Kaenon's are outstanding; I bought some on Kauai this past winter and don't regret the money spent at all.

They've got all sorts of great styles and I am likely going to get a second pair.

I was an Oakley guy but they are not in the same league.

Further to what Dave said......make sure you know the fit or have tried the glasses on before ordering online.

Costas are as good as Maui Jim's or any other big name brand. They are very popular with serious fishermen down south. However, all the big name brands are expensive. Whatever you buy, make sure they are polorized. For years I wore non polarized glasses, and would come off the water with burning eyes. Did some research and now wear polarized glasses from various manufacturers, including; Maui, Costa, and Native. There is an easy way to test to see if you are getting polarized glasses- just hold one pair vertical and one pair horizontal, (lense over lense),if both pairs are polarized, virtually no light comes through.
Stosh

Costas are as good as Maui Jim's or any other big name brand. They are very popular with serious fishermen down south. However, all the big name brands are expensive. Whatever you buy, make sure they are polorized. For years I wore non polarized glasses, and would come off the water with burning eyes. Did some research and now wear polarized glasses from various manufacturers, including; Maui, Costa, and Native. There is an easy way to test to see if you are getting polarized glasses- just hold one pair vertical and one pair horizontal, (lense over lense),if both pairs are polarized, virtually no light comes through.Stosh

When you are looking for deals on glasses be carefull as China is pumping out knockoffs and they are half the price for a lesser product. I found that good sunglasses relax your eyes in the sun and worth every penny.

Thanks finished business thats a killer deal! Is the site reputable? If the sites good to go ill just hold off to see if the type i want pop up.

It is a reputable site. I believe the products come from backcountryoutlet.com and this is there fire sale website, so to speak...I have bought through that website before, you can catch crazy deals if you are on to of it. Every 25 mins it changes though so it's abit of internetting but worht it in the end. We are on here enough as it is!

And if you read the comments on certain products, people who have bought and used make very detailed descriptions, detailing how things fit (a large isn't always a large), looks, feels ect. If you are unhappy with any product, from what I read its one of the easiest sites to make exchanges with. If I had more expendable cash I would use the site more because its deadly for camping/hiking gear. God help me if they start slangin' tackle and rods!

Costa's pop up all the time. And if you're sharp and on top of it, so do Maui Jims.

-FB-

Dave S from Victoria just realized I know you, let's fish this summer. and for sunglasses I like the Dragon Calavera got a pair of polarized this summer. hooked my grandpa up with my old pair. They stick to your face have great optics, made in the same factory as oakley but i like the frames alot better.

On sunny days I ALWAYS wear sunglasses.

But....was wondering.......Do U/V rays bounce off the water at an angle?...e.g. Full sun at 4 p.m. in the afternoon etc.

For my druthers i'd wear 'wrap-arounds'... But I wear glasses so custom prescription jobs are hard to find.

I wear a baseball cap to keep the rays from coming in over top of my clip-on sunglasses......they are polarized and U/V resistant...but they don't wrap around my eyes. So I get rays coming in from sides and top.

Maui Jim's with the bifocals built in and a "dorky lanyard" so that they stay on me or they are in the case. The one time I took the lanyard off of my Ray Bans, they fell out of my pocket and the frame split.

Pricey but good optics and being able to see up close without changing glasses is "priceless".

I wore Costas for 5 years religiously then the arm fell off. When I called Costa for info they have a (limited lifetime warranty) they said that model wasn't produced anymore but for $15 I could have any other model in the lineup. That is killer service. They have since been destroyed (accident) and I now wear Revo Bearing.

Just make sure you get polarized and I like the mirrored lenses as I find I have less eye fatigue at the end of a long day on the water.

[0mxkPyQuPBM] http://youtu.be/0mxkPyQuPBM

I am not promoting cheap sunglasses by any means I just thought I would spice up the thread LOL. Kind of associated if you know what I mean.

Back