Sturgeon in Sooke River

Saxe Point

My son was out fishing in the Sooke River for chums and came across a 6-7foot long sturgeon making his way up the river. See picture. Must be a Fraser fish that got lost. Or are there native sturgeon in the Sooke? Does anyone know?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 5,690
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 5,737
insane!

I think Lippy posted some pics I was amazed by a few years ago from a river a few hundred clicks away, on the island.

I remember one being caught back in the 80's in the salt around Sooke

Must have been your son with his wife in the little aluminum boat I was talking to. Pretty historical. At least recent history.

Amazing. Outside of the dead Salmon can't think of much for them to snack on the rest of the time in this little River?? Its not like the Fraser or Columbia.

Must have been your son with his wife in the little aluminum boat I was talking to. Pretty historical. At least recent history.

No, my boy's only 16, so it wasn't him you ran into. He told me some other people he ran into said they saw it in the river a few days ago near the campground. Even the 2 seals feasting on chums near the bridge can't chow down on that monster. My son's 8 weight fly rod wouldn't have survived had he hooked into that sturgeon.

Last edited by a moderator:
The fellow I was talking to did not hook it, only took pics. That means at least a couple people got pics of that historic occurrence.

The fellow I was talking to did not hook it, only took pics. That means at least a couple people got pics of that historic occurrence.

My son couldn't believe it and was super excited when he phoned me. I told him to take a picture and he did!!!

insane!

I think Lippy posted some pics I was amazed by a few years ago from a river a few hundred clicks away, on the island.

That was Juan...

IMG_1672.jpg

They can happen in any river.. Your kid has a story that he wont forget Saxe..

That's awesome. I've read a few years back that a lil white sturgeon was found dead in Sooke river. Apparently sturgeon have been known to make the odd appearance in the river every decade or so. Wished I was there to see it.

Sturgeon go into the salt and can and will poke their nose into any river they choose. I remember reading about a halibut caught near Jordan river that had small sturgeon in its stomach. Next time your son goes fly fishing send a halibut rod along with him.

I remember some tagging results from a program that Rick Hansen was involved in. Fish caught in Fraser river but had been tagged in the Sacramento river! That's a long swim!
Other fish were found with Columbia river tags, so the population can move around

My son was out fishing in the Sooke River for chums and came across a 6-7foot long sturgeon making his way up the river. See picture. Must be a Fraser fish that got lost. Or are there native sturgeon in the Sooke? Does anyone know?

saxe point - would you mind contacting Steve McAdam of the Ministry of Environment? He works with sturgeon in BC and would like to discuss the observation. His number is 604 222 6760.

Thanks in advance.

saxe point - would you mind contacting Steve McAdam of the Ministry of Environment? He works with sturgeon in BC and would like to discuss the observation. His number is 604 222 6760.

Thanks in advance.

You bet. Will call him tomorrow.

Hi Theb55 - it was me with my wife in the aluminum boat. We passed on info about our sighting to DFO and the Ministry of Environment (Steve McAdam).Sturgeon3.jpg

90% of sturgeon spend 10% of their time in salt water, I read this years ago and discussed with a biologist later and he concurred the thought.
I remember reading as well about a large fish being netted by the natives in the Somass that was a Fraser fish....

Back