Sturgeon - false media report & false advertising

Status
Not open for further replies.

GOFISHING

I have tried to keep this information out from under the public microscope, but I have not received a response from Dean Werk regarding the following two emails, as well as online website text communications where I asked that this false information be corrected and removed from his website.

The emails I sent are as follows:

Sent - December 21, 2012

Hi Dean,

I received your email as part of the notification group you have on your web site. To be very honest with you, I am both shocked and saddened to see that you are using "tail length" rather than "fork length" within your advertising to promote your business. While this may be of benefit to your business, there are other very serious implications to consider.

The financial supporters of public sponsored organizations, that are heavily involved within the sturgeon recovery program, have inquired about both your reported 11'6" and 12'4" catch's only to find that they are NOT what you are publicly advertising them as due to the way they are measured. The problem this causes has to do with the credibility of those organizations and what is being reported to them. Some have even threatened to withdraw their support due to, what they consider, false or misleading information.

I would hope that you would correct this on your site immediately to avoid any further need to address this in a more public venue.

Stewart

Sent - December 27, 2012

Hi Dean,

I sent you this email earlier and have no response from you regarding this matter.

If you do not respond to me and correct this matter before 5:00 on Monday I will have no choice but to go public with the correct measurement information as I believe your false advertising does nothing but be harmful to both the industry and the sturgeon recovery programs.

Stewart

What is at stake here is far beyond what most consider just false advertising.

For the record, let me clarify that the Sturgeon caught and reported by Dean Werk to public media as being 12' 4" long was in reality only 10' 8" long. (That is the difference between the proper "fork length" measurement of a fish and the wrongful "tip measurement" used by Dean Werk to exagerate this catch).

This false information not only brings into question the validity of information being recorded and provided by guides, who are a key element in providing both catch and tagging information, but also raisies concern and questions as to the accuracy of the other data collected and made public within the entire sturgeon recovery program.

Although, as noted correctly by Sarah Schreier, Executive Director of the Fraser River Sturgeon Conservation Society, within the news paper article "River Sturgeon Number Decline" (Vancouver Sun dated December 24, 2012) .....

Two sturgeon measuring 3.25 m and 3.21 m were caught and released earlier in the year.

A sturgeon weighing 500 kilos and 3.40 m in length was landed by a sport fisherman near Chilliwack in September. It was the fourth largest sturgeon recorded in the 12-year study period

..... Dean Werk continues to use this false information today in his advertising and for the sole benefit of his business. Yes, it may be hard for him to explain to these customers that their 12'4" sturgeon was in fact only 10'8" long. There may be a little back pedaling involved. Maybe a bit of explaining to do. But ...........

The BIGGEST QUESTION remains unanswered and that is ................... WHY DEAN, WHY?

Stewart

Get a Life!

I know Dean of old and my guess is that the reason he hasn't responded is because he doesn't have time for jealous small minded internet wankers like you.

The day you put 10% of the time effort and money that Dean has into not just of Sturgeon but countless conservation concerns in and around the Fraser Valley is the day you can criticise.

In other words shut your ignorant pie hole and keep it shut.

You weren't there you don't know what happened and it has nothing to do with you.

Of course you can keep braying like a lonely jackass thus showing everyone on the net how ridiculous you are (some people are like that and actually enjoy doing it).

Carl Z
Vancouver BC-Long time friend of Dean Werk

Is this for real? I'm going with Dogbreath on this one. The guy is a fisherman, I expect no less than a little exaggeration.

Stewert + 11th post rant = Get a life x2

You are correct, I am not an active member of this site but I am on BCFR. I have thousands of posts on that site. My choosing where I spend my time.

Just so you know, I serve on two sturgeon conservation boards, the same ones as Dean does. I am, and always have been, very concerned about sturgeon conservation.

Until this came to light I also had the same respect you do for Dean Werk and can understand how hard it would be for you to have an open mind about this. I know I sure felt betrayed once I became aware of the truth. Look up the facts for yourself. Here are the links ........... 3.25 meter is NOT 12' 4" ......... but it is 10' 8" a very note worthy catch. So why push the envelope? Maybe that is something you should call and ask Dean yourself?

Vancouver Sun (December 24, 2012) Sarah Schrier - note: sturgeon is actually 3.25 meters in lenth .........

http://www.vancouversun.com/technology/River+sturgeon+numbers+decline/7740125/story.html

The Vancouver Sun (July 20, 2012) ...... original false 12' 4" news paper report .........

http://www.vancouversun.com/foot+sturgeon+caught+near+Chilliwack+weighed+pounds/6966172/story.html

Maybe you need to ask yourself ............ is Sarah Schreier, the Executive Director of the Fraser River Sturgeon Conservation Society lying as well? Go ahead and phone her. Ask her. Find out the TRUTH!!

Then come back with an appology ..........

IMO, Dean Werk has shown a total disregard for the fish, the sport, the guiding industry, and the sturgeon recovery program by doing this.

Stewart

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess I'm not seeing where for this purpose (e.g. a newspaper story or some guiding publicity) this really matters. Does anyone who actually knows anything about sturgeon really believe that a couple of large fish being caught and released (whether they are a bit over 3m or a bit under 3m) is really a "good sign" that sturgeon are doing well, better etc? I think not. Sturgeon numbers are down, breeding numbers are down, there's a problem. Period. This story is irrelevant to anyone who really knows anything so why get your underwear in a bunch about it?

I totally agree with you seadna. The reason I referred to that story was for the reference by Sarah Schreier indicating that the sturgeon caught by Dean Werk was only 3.25 meters long and not 12' 4" long as he told the newspapers. He told the newspapers one length but reported the same fish as 10' 8" to the Fraser River Sturgeon Conservation Society. HE LIED!!

And you are also right CobraDriver. But the papers usually get their information from someone.

How do you feel when people provide the newspapers false information? How do you feel when they then use it as false advertising to drum up their business? How do you feel when they blatently do so and ignore how it affects the sport, the industry, the sturgeon recovery program?

Personally, I'm not impressed.

How do you guys know it was 10'8? There was only a handfull of people there to see it before he released it. I Look at the photos and its looks 12ft...Too bad guys on this forum cant focus on the catching, instead of trying to disprove and discredit a guy who loves fishing! ......not trying to stir the pot, but if u werent there then how can u prove it was only 10'8?

You are correct, I am not an active member of this site but I am on BCFR. I have thousands of posts on that site. My choosing where I spend my time.

Just so you know, I serve on two sturgeon conservation boards, the same ones as Dean does. I am, and always have been, very concerned about sturgeon conservation.

Until this came to light I also had the same respect you do for Dean Werk and can understand how hard it would be for you to have an open mind about this. I know I sure felt betrayed once I became aware of the truth. Look up the facts for yourself. Here are the links ........... 3.25 meter is NOT 12' 4" ......... but it is 10' 8" a very note worthy catch. So why push the envelope? Maybe that is something you should call and ask Dean yourself?

Vancouver Sun (December 24, 2012) Sarah Schrier - note: sturgeon is actually 3.25 meters in lenth .........

http://www.vancouversun.com/technology/River+sturgeon+numbers+decline/7740125/story.html

The Vancouver Sun (July 20, 2012) ...... original false 12' 4" news paper report .........

http://www.vancouversun.com/foot+sturgeon+caught+near+Chilliwack+weighed+pounds/6966172/story.html

Maybe you need to ask yourself ............ is Sarah Schreier, the Executive Director of the Fraser River Sturgeon Conservation Society lying as well? Go ahead and phone her. Ask her. Find out the TRUTH!!

Then come back with an appology ..........

IMO, Dean Werk has shown a total disregard for the fish, the sport, the guiding industry, and the sturgeon recovery program by doing this.

Stewart

Salmonboy,

The sturgeon tagging report ticket that Dean Werk submitted to the Fraser River Sturgeon Conservation Society stated that it was 3.25 meters (10' 8").

We discussed this and the problem it caused at our last Sturgeon Conservation meeting.

Sarah Schrier the Executive Director of the Fraser River Sturgeon Conservation Society stated in the December 24, 2012 Vancouver Sun article that it was 3.25 meters.

Until it became clear that Dean was going to use his false measurments to promote his business as false advertising the issue would probably have died. Is not a 10' 8" sturgeon big enough to do that? Why push the envelope? Why Lie?

I don't think any more proof is needed. It was 10' 8" and not 12' 4" long.

Last edited by a moderator:
like i said not trying to stir the pot, but the fish in the pictures look bigger that 10 feet......why would he lie about the length to the public, and then report it different to the sturgeon society, knowing hes gonna get caught and risk his reputation? Is it possible that there was a mistake made ? The fish looks bigger than 10 ft....

Salmonboy,

The sturgeon tagging report ticket that Dean Werk submitted to the Fraser River Sturgeon Conservation Society stated that it was 3.25 meters (10' 8").

We discussed it at our last Sturgeon Conservation meeting.

Sarah Schrier the Executive Director of the Fraser River Sturgeon Conservation Society stated in the December 24, 2012 Vancouver Sun article that it was 3.25 meters.

Pure faggory as far as I can tell.

Get a life. You are making an issue of this seriously?? With all the rest of the **** involved in the fishery? The idiots at the lodge down the path always exagerate their guests fish size but do I run up a post about it? Holy **** man.

FISHERMAN EXAGERATE!!! Its a fairly well known fact.

Salmonboy,

We discussed this and the problem it caused at our last Sturgeon Conservation meeting.

Until it became clear that Dean was going to use his false measurments to promote his business as false advertising the issue would probably have died. Is not a 10' 8" sturgeon big enough to do that? Why push the envelope? Why Lie?

I have done only a hand full of sturgeon trips on the Fraser of which I was a guest so I am no expert. What I have learned from this thread is that for science sturgeon are measured from the tip of the head to the inside fork of the tail. I see that Mr. Werk reported the measurement correctly which I think it is important.
Outside of that if any one can say that that fish was not 12'4" long then giver. Seems to me that everyone who needs to be aware of the exact details was or is NOW aware so I do not think there is any reason for a reply from mr.werk. The Werk is done here. lol
I appreciate gf's passion for accuracy but I see no scientific injustices here. I see a guide who caught a fish that was 12'4" long and he said so all the while respecting the reporting process.
On a low note I am disappointed that all my 6 footers I caught have been reduced to 5 footers.lol Now I know better should I find myself measuring sturgeon for data collection purposes. TFT

Sorry....I feel obliged......

[MK6TXMsvgQg] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MK6TXMsvgQg

Hi salmonboy,

like i said not trying to stir the pot, but the fish in the pictures look bigger that 10 feet......why would he lie about the length to the public, and then report it different to the sturgeon society, knowing hes gonna get caught and risk his reputation? Is it possible that there was a mistake made ? The fish looks bigger than 10 ft....

That is a question only Dean can answer salmonboy.

That is precisely the issue here ......... that you don't measure sturgeon 2 different ways. One the correct way as it should be reported. Another to use for your own personal gain.

JFC - To the average person (most of the ones who read a news paper), the length of a fish is the length from the tip of the nose to the tip of the tail. The fork length is used for conservation/fisheries purposes since it's more correlated with weight/age of the fish than is the overall length. I don't see any lying, nefarious purpose etc. of saying the overall length in one context and the fork length in the context that requires it. It's not that long ago (at least in WA) that we switched from the overall length to the fork length when it comes to measuring fish to see if they're legal. To the average Joe, the fork length measure is not the length of the fish. What do you have against Dean?

So what are you saying Osama Bin Hopper? I don't now what "idiots at the lodge" you are referring to, nor do I care. Nor do I expect you to grasp the significance of this issue if you are not an active sturgeon fisher.

Let me ask a few questions ....

Is that lodge directly involved in reporting tagging information that includes the sturgeon length to the Fraser River Stugeon Conservation Society? Do their exagerated fish lengths almost cause serious issues with the FRSCS where sponsors threaten to withdraw funding? Without funding how long do you think the FRSCS would survive? Without the FRSCS how long do you think a C & R fishery for sturgeon would exist? Is it not true that the only reason there is a C & R fishery for sturgeon in the lower Fraser River is because of the ongoing conservation research and measures being taken?

When something happens to threaten the sport you say you love why do you sit back and do nothing about it? We aren't talking about Joe fisherman here that goes out and brags that his catch is bigger than it was by 4 inches. There is no financial reward for Joe fisherman in doing that is there?

Isn't the playing field a little different when we are talking about a guiding company, and a person who is supposedly a sturgeon conservationist, who intentionally lie about the proper measured length of a catch to receive national media attention? Isn't it different when that person/company continues to use that false information to promote their business for their own personal and financial gain?

Maybe you don't agree with me and this isn't important to you ........... that is your personal right.

But if you ask me if it is wrong my answer is ................ HELL YEAH!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back