Stick with the Double Eagle or go bigger?

cracked_ribs

Okay, here is the question that's been on my mind recently; hopefully people here will have some insight.

Right now I have an old Double Eagle 206. Good boat and my wife's become emotionally invested in it which happens with her. For me it's just a boat but it does do what I ask which is frequent runs from Steveston to another place near Nanaimo.

But it's got old I/O power and I won't trust it forever. Plus once stuff starts to break down, parts will be a pain since it's one of the rare Ford 302 + 280 leg combos Volvo did for a bit. And being a 280 it's bulletproof but trim adjustments are tabs and tabs alone.

It's also about the smallest boat I'd want to run out of the Fraser on a regular basis. We've done it in 25kt winds and it's a fairly slow, moderately stressful experience as of course the waves pick up and the river mouth gets nasty. But it's doable and we do it a lot. Running into waves at even 15 knots though would be bone-jarring at cruising speed and so if we're running into head winds I cut it back to 13-14 knots and slowly grind through it and it takes forever.

I'd like to extend my comfort zone around the 20-30 knot wind range and also to have a smoother ride heading into the chop. Everybody knows how steep and sloppy the Strait gets and while the 206 is a great hull, I don't want to just beat it to death (nor my wife etc) trying to run quickly across the strait when it gets churned up.

So I have a couple of options in front of me:

OPTION 1: pod the Double Eagle and put on modern outboard power.

Upsides:
a) this is the cheapest solution - probably no more than $20k
b) it would extend the effective length of the 206 a bit and might improve the ride a little
c) I get to keep the boat my wife likes
d) I doubt the boat will ever capsize so the main safety factor is the modern power, not the hull anyway
e) smaller boats are cheaper to store and operate

Downsides:
a) I'm spending money on a boat which I consider the minimum for my application
b) I'm committed to the boat for a few years because I've upgraded it
c) I'm not sure if I'll get the ride I want on a podded 206.

OPTION 2: locate a project hull, likely a Hourston 26, and start a serious build.

Upsides:
a) the money is going into a boat that will probably last me as long as I would ever want
b) it's as good a ride as I'll ever be able to afford
c) I'm doing the Strait run in a boat that doesn't seem like the minimum for bad weather Strait crossings

Downsides:
a) a lot more money - probably more like $50k
b) my wife would be sad to see the end of the DE and all the work I've put in refoaming it etc.
c) any money that gets tied up in boats limits my ability to do other stuff like move out of Vancouver which is what I really want to do
d) even a longer boat won't necessarily make it possible to run fast into rough weather in the strait
e) more expensive to store and to operate a larger boat

There's probably other stuff which is why I'm asking. I've never run a podded boat before and after the conversion so I don't know what to expect. I've never spent much time running boats bigger than my Double Eagle and never in rough weather so I don't really have a good sense of how much things will improve going from a 20' to a 25'. I'm sure that something like the podded 25 Bertram in Salt Water fishing would handle anything I could throw at it though at that would really be great.

So I guess I'm looking for inputs on the size and safety factors, as well as the effects of podding a boat. I'm really torn on how best to approach this but I feel like the clock is ticking on my I/O setup and if I get through another season without a significant failure I'll really be starting to get nervous, not so much about the engine and leg per se but accessories like the cooling system, say, on which the raw water pump alone would cost me as much as a replacement 302.

So anyone with ideas, fire away.

JMHO....
If your D.E hull is sound, I would pod it and hang a 225 4 stroke on it.
If you like the boat , good reliable power will make you like it that much more.
losing the dog house will also give you a ton of extra room on the back deck.

Well if your up for the work you can go either way. Podding would be a lot easier then a complete build from the ground up. A pod and outboard will be slot cheaper and faster. Are you doing this yourself ? Or having a company do it? That will be a big factor in $$$. I don't think your ever gonna get a nice ride in a 30knot wind cruising at 25 knots unless your in the 30' + size boat minimum and that still won't be that comfortable lol

The podding I'd be as likely to do myself as hand it off; if I go for a full build on a larger boat I'd probably be looking at Quinn from this forum. That'd be more expensive but the work would be better!

Truthfully I'd even take a soft ride at 15kt as an improvement. I'd just like to feel secure at 30 knots! The 206 is a little stressful in big seas even though it's always performed well. It just feels pretty small once the waves get past 4-5 feet since the ones in the strait can be so steep and short-period.

I am just not sure if the combination of "it'd be cool to have a bigger boat" and "I'd FEEL more seaworthy even though I might not be any safer" is worth the money.

If the 206 had a full bulkhead and a raised cockpit deck though, it could be made pretty seriously offshore capable, I guess.

Do you own property in the Richmond/Vancouver area?
Why do you need to go to the Nanaimo area when the weather only allows 13 knots in a decent sized boat?
Do you need to sell your boat to help finance the next build?
Do you ever fish on the west coast?

You should talk to albernifisher he will have a realistic cost etc on pros and cons. He has done a few boats from the bottom up and often sells them and starts a new one..... he's an addict lol

Last edited:
Do you own property in the Richmond/Vancouver area?
Why do you need to go to the Nanaimo area when the weather only allows 13 knots in a decent sized boat?
Do you need to sell your boat to help finance the next build?
Do you ever fish on the west coast?
1) Yes
2) I commute back and forth to an unserviced island that's relatively close to Nanaimo where I also live some of the time
3) No
4) Not at this time...too much Vancouver Island in the way

You should talk to albernifisher he will have a realistic cost etc on pros and cons. He has done a few boats from the bottom up and often sells them and starts a new one

Sounds like good advice, thanks

Pod it, you'll be amazed at the difference it makes and how much room it frees up

They tell me you're the guy to talk to...

So you've found a significant handling difference going to a podded boat? Would you say you've found it changes seakeeping ability a bit? Does the extra length just give you enough to bridge chop, or is it more of a floatation bracket offsetting the engine weight that gives it an easier time?

I've heard lots of people love a podded classic for handling but I'm just trying to figure out what it'll buy me aside from modern reliable outboard power and no doghouse. I mean those things are great but I'm trying to get a sense of the handling improvements as well. Any thoughts?

Who do you like for pods? Got to be a few outfits around that have the Double Eagle transom on file.
don't use streamline boats they are a joke I ended up selling the one they built for my boat while I was away for work and built my own when I got back.... if it were me I would go and talk to the guys at ironwood and try and get on the waiting list now .... otherwise get it built on the island don't waste your time with anybody else in lower mainland you wont be happy with the end result

I've had pods built by Kamma&Blake, Lifetimer, Prodigy and a guy named "Rich" in sooke. The one built by Rich is the best one so far. 2600 installed

My 185 DE had a 305/280 leg combo and it's a different boat with the pod and 225. It definitely pounds less in chop but crossing the straight in nasty weather I'm still plowing at 14 mph. I'd imagine your bigger hull can do better.

Back