stern flat steering wheel??

Discussion in 'Boats, Motors, Trailers and Towing Rigs Forum' started by AndrewH, Jan 26, 2018.

1. AndrewH

AndrewH New Member

My aluminum will be ready in April and I am wanting to look into a flat steering wheel for the stern. I fish alone a lot and it would help me a great deal...

Anyone know where I should be looking?

2. wildthing

wildthing Well-Known Member

you can get the flat foundry small wheels
    but there quite pricey $250 +
    on the island

i have only found dished wheels in stainless else where

3. trophywife

trophywife Well-Known Member

harbour chandler had a couple.. 11" small, speed wheel built in, not too much dish.so almost flat.. i bought one at the boat show..

4. Brian Reiber

Brian Reiber Active Member

This is what we are running. We picked it up from the harbour chandler for a little over $100. We originally wanted aluminum or stainless but bought this to match the look of our main wheel. We are glad we did as it is very comfortable and keeping it clean hasn't been a problem. Having the rear steer station on the boat and plumbed to our hydraulic steering is the cat's ass. We'll never go back.

myknoo likes this.
  5. tubber

tubber Well-Known Member

6. Brian Reiber

Brian Reiber Active Member

Thank you tubber. Not sure why I have so many problems with pictures on this site. It's a constant battle with resolution and orientation. Obviously something I'm doing wrong.

7. SteelyDan

SteelyDan Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
  8. wolf

wolf Well-Known Member

I have a rebuilt seastar helm(seal)if you need it i have it as a spare been on my shelf for a few years pm me if you need one?

Wolf

9. sly_karma

sly_karma Well-Known Member

I'm thinking of going this route. EZ steer hasn't really worked well for me because of awkward transom design forcing kicker to have little separation from main. I don't have hydraulic steering though. I guess I could just get a short cable setup, right? Kicker is a non-tiller 2000 Merc 9.9 4 stroke with electric start and manual tilt.

10. bigbruce

bigbruce Well-Known Member

I have a Python system on my 9'9 4 stroke kicker. Works great with either wired or wireless control.

https://powrtran.com/shop/python-wireless/

11. Fish Camp

Fish Camp Well-Known Member

There is a flat chrome 8 spoke to 8 inch ring , wooden 8 spoke handles extend 3 inches further than the 8 inch ring stearing wheel for a boat at Merville second hand across from the old stardust drive-in . was there couple days ago .I'll go and take a look again soon ,and get some pictures.