Staying in Port Renfrew

gungadin

We are taking a little vacation in Port Renfrew, just a weekend, next month and I would like to try a bit of river fishing while we are there. I do very little fresh water fishing so this will be new to me. I have been practicing my level wind casting for a few weeks and I will use an Ambassador, on a 9 ft rod.
I have no idea what to use, or what other equipment I will need. I have chest waders and will wear my inflatable life jacket.
What kind of fishing can I expect, steelhead, trout, salmon or? A few hints would be much appreciated. Thank you.

You'll find some coho and chum around. Try walking the San Juan sandbar. Climb under the Gordon River bridge try there. Bright heavier marabou jigs work well in the high water conditions. Spinners work well too. Likely spotty for fresh fish, but if you look down off the bridge over the San Juan, you might see a few coming up the river. Not really fun fishing, but.. try Fairy lake, there's a hatchery there, might be some coho in the nearby creeks. Lots of folks fish the point at near the ocean at the mouth of the SJ. Not the most productive time of the year to go (early to mid September was great.) At least you know the fish are in the river by now. Don't harass the spawners. You certainly could target trout with single eggs or clusters drifted behind the spawners. Good Luck

Thank you, we are heading on the weekend, so your advice is most timely, I will hit River Sportsman today :)

Enjoyed our stay, had no idea it was such a lovely place. Next time will bring a boat. Managed to hook and release 2 nice cohoe.

Back