Starting work at fishing lodge - any tips?

H

halibut22

I just got hired at a fishing lodge at the top of Vancouver Island. Anything I need to know before I head up? What are the must have items while working on the water all day? I know about hand cream and just wondering if I'm forgetting anything.

Good luck Halibut22, did it for years and loved every minute of it!!

Some things that I liked to have is Zinc for your a nose and ears, a touque for the ears on the runs in and out and a good rain hat.

Thanks for the tip totally tyee. I'm so excited I'm shakin'!!!!!

You lucky guy. I want to become a guide so badly it must be the best job in the world! Im 14 but i know a ton about fishing its what i so so i have some time still. I might start helping a guy that runs charters. Ps if anyone if looking for someone to help send me a shout!
Have fun and i would suggest bringing a good pair of sunglasses they are a huge help!

beachcomber NANOOSE

hey butt 22,
i been workin at a lodge for the last 2 seasons, mostly as a dock man, occaisoanly guiding when they need someone right now in the whaler. if u had told us what u were doin at this fishing lodge(dock boy, guiding, outhouse cleaner....) we could help ya a bit more.
Bring a GOOD seat of raingear, ul need it, basic first aid stuff(and a knowledge of how to use it), good knife and sharpener, rubber boots, good warm clothes, and clothes to wear when its cookin out.
hope it helps, and rememeber these guys at this lodge are working for a living, dont be a pain in the butt and show a lot of respect, be as helpfull as u can, keep ur eyes and ears open, etc etc....just be smart about it all..
good luck,
cody

hey!...wheres my float?
uh oh...

profish bc has the nicest boats ever they also had lots of nice fish and good prices! do you work there bite me?

beachcomber NANOOSE

Well said Wolf. Newbie 22 not making too many friends here, maybe you will have more luck at the lodge?????

Tournament Proven !

Well said Wolf. Newbie 22 not making too many friends here, maybe you will have more luck at the lodge?????

Tournament Proven !

hey kelly,
no i dont work with pro fish. i know the owner and head guide Dave Chard very well, he lives right accross the street from me. pro fish isnt a fishing lodge, just a guiding organization, Dave and his dad Bruce though im pretty sure they could arrange accomidations for u here in Cr. Dave is an awesome fisherman, both salmon and an amazing steelhead fisher. i work at silver king lodge out on tyee spit, second season there...i dont do guiding for them, just dock work.

cody

hey!...wheres my float?
uh oh...

hey kelly,
no i dont work with pro fish. i know the owner and head guide Dave Chard very well, he lives right accross the street from me. pro fish isnt a fishing lodge, just a guiding organization, Dave and his dad Bruce though im pretty sure they could arrange accomidations for u here in Cr. Dave is an awesome fisherman, both salmon and an amazing steelhead fisher. i work at silver king lodge out on tyee spit, second season there...i dont do guiding for them, just dock work.

cody

hey!...wheres my float?
uh oh...

Heh there Bite ME, Congrats on Your new Job at Silver King. When You get there say Hello to my good friend Mark Dobus. He'll be there guiding until I need Him back here to guide a few Hunts in the Fall. If You need some advice on how to deal with the clients or You need a pointer or two on technique's talk to Mark He'll help You out.
Good Luck & Good Fishin!:)

Heh there Bite ME, Congrats on Your new Job at Silver King. When You get there say Hello to my good friend Mark Dobus. He'll be there guiding until I need Him back here to guide a few Hunts in the Fall. If You need some advice on how to deal with the clients or You need a pointer or two on technique's talk to Mark He'll help You out.
Good Luck & Good Fishin!:)

Back