starter for inboard

bigredsnapper

May seem like a dumb question but I have always run outboards. I need to replace a starter in a Volvo AQ205A inboard. It's a Chevy 4.3 liter V6 and the starter was seized. The replacement Volvo price is $470 and a Chevy starter is less than a hundred, WTF. Am i missing something here? Thanks in advance, BRS

for 1 thing the marine starter is sealed so as to not make a spark and blow up yer boat
i imagine its also made of materials a little more resistant to a marine environment.
If u installed a car starter and it caused an explosion, your insurance would be void.
one thing i've learned about boats is don't substitute marine parts for auto.
should be a jobber marine starter for that engine for cheaper.

a total MILF.Man I Love Fishing

Thanks KB, just got a marine rebuilt for $225.Didn't want to spend any money til I know what I got.(don't know if it runs)I'd rather just rip out that Volvo and put a pod and four stroke. Don't have $25 grand right now and my Honda 90 purrs like a kitten on my other boat....I must be nuts, what am I getting myself into?BRS

I would have put the automotive one in.

nootkalasttrip015.jpg

Is there a pro that can tell us if there is a difference between automotive and marine starters.

The difference only is there is a flame arrestor on a marine one and when they rebuild them they seal the end caps thats about it a real complete waste of money as they hose you on them, When I had my old boat I would go through a starter every 3 years or so as they seize up easy as when you take off any water in the bilge hits it flowing to the stern the best thing to do is grease every thing up and spray every couple of weeks with LPS,fluid film etc it will prolong the life quite a bit.

hope that helps Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

Thanks Wolf, so I guess that means no on the cheap one. Does the same apply for the alternator cause I'm probably gonna need one of them too.Thanks BRS

IF you buy anything from volvo, expect to pay top dollar. If you want a marine one, have a look at the electric outfits.. for example, Mel Penners here in Campbell River is where I buy 90% of the components for my customers for half of OEM. For anyone with an inboard gas engine, your blower clears the compartment of any fumes.

nootkalasttrip015.jpg

I think starters, fuel pumps and alternators fit between Mercruiser and Volvo in many cases. From what I understand, the Merc units cost significantly less.

I've found a place online for Merc/Volvo parts called marinepart***press.com -- good service and they have just about everything your boat could want. They are very responsive to emails and will give advice on which starter to use.

TenMile
<'((((><

You could call Fred at Colwood Lgngford Auto if you are in the area? He rebuilds some amazing alternators and starters for my powerstroke Diesels etc... over the years, not just a brush kit either, he does the entire rebuild. Most new over the counter remanufactured units are garbage, icluding the Bosch new rebuilts, they just get a new paint job and brushes most times.

895 Goldstream Avenue
Victoria, BC V9B 2Y1
(250) 478-5538ý

www.tailspincharters.com

talked to my mechanic today and the only diferance in starters is a paper gasket between the selinoid and the starter boddy.simnple solition is to seal with silicon around the selinoid and seal the two little holes on the starter body.

No issues with a spark being generated?
I always thought that the main difference was the sealing of the marine starter - in some way that I, and probably most people, don't understand - so that stray vapours in the motor compartment of an i/o couldn't be ignited.

Yes the requirement is that the starters run in a potentially explosive environment and they have to be intrinsically safe. In our words unable to initiate an explosion.:D

IMG_1445.jpg

keep this in mind, some marine manufacturers will use a different ring gear in a marime application... For example, the merc. 470, which is a ford engine, half of a 460 v8. The starters are virtually identical, but fall short of teeth on the bendex gear.

nootkalasttrip015.jpg

don't forget the insurance part of it. and the liability. You go ahead and save a couple bucks by putting in a auto starter. Not worth the risk to me. Safe boating for me and my geusts and family.

a total MILF.Man I Love Fishing

I have used WESTERN STARTER in Richmond a few times over the years for factory rebuilds and they work fine. I paid about $180 last year for a starter for my 350 Merc. A few of the Vancouver marine repair companies also purchase from them so it must be OK right?

Back