Start of a electronic's upgrade to the Sculpin

In all honesty with the purchase of this boat almost 4 years ago and the upgrades recently I have come to the realization that I just had my mid life crisis! I turned 41 yesterday so it all makes sense now:D.

Just did the same last year, so I know where your coming from. LOL. Be Interested in what you think of the fuel flow sensor.

Just did the same last year, so I know where your coming from. LOL. Be Interested in what you think of the fuel flow sensor.

I'll let you know for sure once I run it. What did you just turn 41 or did you have your mid life crisis last year?:)

The new HDS7 Gen2 installed (6th one from the Chandler so far).

IMG_1942.jpg

The new Standard Horizon Matrix 2150 AIS+ radio installed.

IMG_1947.jpg

The new RAM 3 mic installed. Replacing the RAM+ mic.

IMG_1948.jpg

My original VHF that came with the boat that I will keep as a back up.

IMG_1950.jpg

No just the mid life thing.

Thats funny my wife calls my boat "the last One"

Great post Sculpin I was wonder'n what happened to the BCFR site, it was not on there anymore, was it not enough following in the reply's???
I opened both sites to get different views, I guess I'll just follow this one

KH

Great post Sculpin I was wonder'n what happened to the BCFR site, it was not on there anymore, was it not enough following in the reply's???
I opened both sites to get different views, I guess I'll just follow this one

KH

Thanks kh. Glad your still following it and appreciate your input when you post up. I have a WHOLE bunch more to do to her in the coming weeks. PM sent.

Last edited by a moderator:

I have the fuel flow sensor and love it. I have found it accurate right out of the box to a couple of liters with a 325 liter tank. Nice to know when I go north.

So Sculpin I see you have the brand new 2nd generation Lowrance HDS unit - very nice!

If you have the time it would be great if you could post some screenshots from the great new digital toys you have like the side scan sonar, the broadband radar and the brand new structure map recording. It would be nice to see some real life, westcoast, saltwater, screenshots from of this new stuff than all the boring shallow water, lake screenshots they show on the Lowrance website.

So Sculpin I see you have the brand new 2nd generation Lowrance HDS unit - very nice!

If you have the time it would be great if you could post some screenshots from the great new digital toys you have like the side scan sonar, the broadband radar and the brand new structure map recording. It would be nice to see some real life, westcoast, saltwater, screenshots from of this new stuff than all the boring shallow water, lake screenshots they show on the Lowrance website.

Thanks Whole in the Water. The new Gen2's are just faster (map refresh rates, zoom in and out, etc.). No other real difference.

I hear you on the screen shot stuff. I will be taking some screen shots of various real life WC type fishing. Mike's going to help me get everything dialed in with some on the water demo's etc. I can't wait to try out the radar.

Albernifisher told me he was coming out of Newcastle Channel and turned on the structure scan. He saw a beverage can on the bottom and could almost read the label!!!! It will be interesting to see how it works out on the banks for seeing bait and structure in deeper water.

Thanks Whole in the Water. The new Gen2's are just faster (map refresh rates, zoom in and out, etc.). No other real difference.
I have the HDS 10 and that is the only thing i do not like about it and that is it's refresh rate. It is slow at times.
If you don't mind what does mike charge to come out on your boat to dail everything in ( or does he even have to come out on you boat to do it ) You can PM me if you want. Thanks Sculpin keep up the good work.

I have the HDS 10 and that is the only thing i do not like about it and that is it's refresh rate. It is slow at times.
If you don't mind what does mike charge to come out on your boat to dail everything in ( or does he even have to come out on you boat to do it ) You can PM me if you want. Thanks Sculpin keep up the good work.

I don't know but I should be getting a bill soon. I will PM you with the details. I think he can do alot of it on land but the sea trial is always nice and everyone likes to go for a boat ride:).

I hope everything is done by early afternoon tomorrow and then take her for a spin!

Would be interested in hearing your options on all the new stuff. You have the same package as I went with last year. Was there much of a price different from the HDS to the Gen2'?. I think you'll like the AIS. i need to learn how the MMSI stuff shows on your plotter, thats why I'd like to have Mike show me a few things and to make sure things are all set-up right. I lot easier that way then in the store.

Would be interested in hearing your options on all the new stuff. You have the same package as I went with last year. Was there much of a price different from the HDS to the Gen2'?. I think you'll like the AIS. i need to learn how the MMSI stuff shows on your plotter, thats why I'd like to have Mike show me a few things and to make sure things are all set-up right. I lot easier that way then in the store.

I think they are similarly priced. The only reason I ended up with the second 7" head unit in the Gen2 was because they were out of the "old" lol HDS 7's. I was credited the power cable and transducer and didn't need a chip so it was pretty reasonable. The Harbour Chandler with break open a box to do this kind of thing for folks that are upgrading and just need the head unit.

Sculpin PM sent

Well we are all hooked up (mostly) ha ha.

Here is the new Lowrance Sonic hub recepticle installed in the front bulkhead.

IMG_2012.jpg

It comes with different "cartridges" for plugging in various "i" products like iphones, ipod's, nano's etc.. Basically any apple portable media product. The cartridge is the white thing in the middle of the unit.

IMG_2013.jpg

The Lowrance Sonic Hub Server all hooked up.

IMG_2014.jpg

I scrapped the speaker box project and bought some waterproof bracket mounted speakers for the rear. I sold the boxes to a buddy of mine who is going to use them in his JEEP.

IMG_2026.jpg

continued........

The two new head units up front. HDS7 on the left for radar and sonar and the even newer HDS7 Gen2 for mostly GPS/chartplotting or anything really.

IMG_2023.jpg

I fired up the radar but it doesn't perform much under the shed. Just showing the display for photo purposes.

IMG_2017.jpg

The HDS7 Gen2 with the Navionic's Gold chip in it all fired up. You can see the Sonic Hub menu strip on the bottom of the screen for the music.

IMG_2019.jpg

The HDS10 outside on the fish deck running the Navionic's Platinum chip. It can run anything really that is on the system. Radar, sounder, structure scan, gps, chartplotter, etc. Notice the Sonic Hub music strip on the bottom. It appears on every screen and can be accessed on any screen. I'll post up a vid once it is all working properly (we ran into a little bug in that my ipod touch Gen2's software is not picked up by the Sonic Hub server. Just need to upgrade via USB stick).

IMG_2016.jpg

continued....

This is the new "brain box" so to speak that ties all the network stuff together and powers it all as well in one handy spot under the starboard side passenger seating. We ran out of network outlets on the Structure Scan server so I had to buy another network server to finalize everything. The upside is a still have a couple of outlets for expansion in the future.

IMG_2015.jpg

Easy to get at and it eliminated a bunch of stuff under the dash.

I just have to hook up the fuel flow sensor and we are golden. I have read alot about the Lowrance fuel sensor online and apparently you have to mount it vertically for the best performance. I had to re and re my fuel system to do this. This is where I am at for right now. I hope to have it all together by the end of this evening.

IMG_2025.jpg

Once this is all hooked up I have to fill the tank to calibrate it. I can then try to find my best fuel burn at a certain speed etc.

We are going for a test drive tomorrow to set up the auto pilot, Lowrance Structure Scan transducer, and the fuel flow sensor. Looks like a nice day out there on the water tomorrow! I'll post up the results and some other things once they are tweeked.

I think your going to love that set up. If you get stuck let me know. I have the same set up with dual hds 10 heads, structure scan, dual 1KW transducers, Radar, heading compass, sonic hub, ap28 auto pilot etc. A view trying moments over the years but I think I have it completely dialed in.
These systems seem very common in the east coast market but in the west it has taken a bit to get off the ground. Lots of good info on the Hull truth if you ever get stuck.
I had many units in my boat over the years and I can say that the broadband lowrance with a 1kw transducer is by far the best sonar out there. You should be able to see everything that moves under your boat and with a bit a practice with upper and lower limits you will be able to see most the springs on the screen before they hit your gear. This is big advantage when you are fishing in new areas as you don't need to rely on others to know how the fishing is or is going to be at tide. You know because you can see them. It will save you a lot in gas running and chasing boats.
For others that have stock transducers, I would suggest the best money spent is on your transducer. Airmar has a ton of transducers that are compatible with Lowrance units and you just need to pick the one that suits your style and budget. The crew at Harbor Chandler are very good at this stuff and I would suggest any one going through the process getting multi functional units to buy where the customer support is best. Believe me, you will need it and the cheapest price doesn't always offer the needed support.
I look for ward to seeing some of your screen shots down the road

Cheers!

Back