Stamp - store pool access closed???

Hyde-N-Seek

My buddy was up at the Stamp and mentioned there was a gate and no trespass sign to the entrance of store pool. Anyone know when the access was denied?

It's too bad to lose another access point.

The fishing report was not very good with still lots water on the system. You never know though, it could change any time. The early runs, and the entire system, seemed to be really taken a hit the last couple years :(

Ya its locked up, but you can still walk into it from above it. It's a crappy trail, but doable. It was locked last year as well, open the year before last. My buddy went on a guided trip a couple days ago, they got quite a few.

Cheers, Scott

My buddy was up at the Stamp and mentioned there was a gate and no trespass sign to the entrance of store pool. Anyone know when the access was denied?

It's too bad to lose another access point.

The fishing report was not very good with still lots water on the system. You never know though, it could change any time. The early runs, and the entire system, seemed to be really taken a hit the last couple years :(

then fish somewhere else
Ken Meyers has guided for me a couple of times
Great Guide and great fisherman and definitely knows more has donated more of his time to the Stamp than you 2 clowns
Just a guy trying to eek out a living

then fish somewhere else
Ken Meyers has guided for me a couple of times
Great Guide and great fisherman and definitely knows more has donated more of his time to the Stamp than you 2 clowns
Just a guy trying to eek out a living

I do dish elsewhere. After being waked off my feet and feeling the December water flood my waders several years ago, I no longer fish that gong show. Should have phoned the police I guess. Who are the Clown's?

There are so many systems on the Island to walk and wade, people should seek out those instead of complaining about the Stamp, one of a very few that are allowed jet boats. The Stamp is a factory system, a fun one to fish from a pump, it is what it is.

Great to see the jet boat bashing has started again this year, can't wait for it to get going, very entertaining.

Not really. It's got pretty stale, and as noted the stamp is a factory season. Those that are into cookie cutter wind-ups probably don't care anyways. Lets hope it stays unique to that system.

Hi all. Im in port alberni for a few days and im determined to hook my girlfriend into her first steelhead. I've familiarized myself with the bucket, and falls pool and put a few hours in on each today without a sniff. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. If anyone local to here wants to pm me we could swap some info for the courtenay area and maybe even see one of ya on the river. Thanks all, happy fishing.

Mike.

Take a drive to Lowerly Lk /scout beach turn, walk 2km west at gate to where river flows to GCL.framiliar with the bucket .fish between flume and river, might be coho in the road east creek at lowerly lk.hand peeled shimp with staight backs keep them out of the bucket and for lunch orange wool knottted to the leader.your friend will love them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stamp

Good Tips there, but a little hard to understand. I personally would go to the anglers trail at the end of beaver creek rd. Its actually off Barker Rd. Any vehicle with a little clearance will make it in. If your in a very low car, I would suggest walking in, most normal cars would be okay if you take it easy.

1. A few steelies around below the bridge at great central.

2. Parking at the hatchery and hitting the trail is a good bet as well. Those hatchery fish will be near by.

Cheers, Scott

Take a drive to Lowerly Lk /scout beach turn, walk 2km west at gate to where river flows to GCL.framiliar with the bucket .fish between flume and river, might be coho in the road east creek at lowerly lk.hand peeled shimp with staight backs keep them out of the bucket and for lunch orange wool knottted to the leader.your friend will love them.

Last edited by a moderator:
i suppose the jet boats have led to the demise of the river ?the spots i've fished from a boat on the Stamp,you can't access by wading..
Are you compianers Fly Fishermen? usually they are the biggest whiners and least educated ...try it, you may like it

Are you compianers Fly Fishermen? usually they are the biggest whiners and least educated ...try it, you may like it

I enjoy fishing all methods. Why the hate on for people that fly fish. They are not any different, better or worse than you and I. Quite an ignorant statement actually.

I enjoy fishing all methods. Why the hate on for people that fly fish. They are not any different, better or worse than you and I. Quite an ignorant statement actually.

I agree but there are some folks, pretty high profile ones, who fly fish exclusively there and you do hear them express their displeasure with the pumps.

i suppose the jet boats have led to the demise of the river ?the spots i've fished from a boat on the Stamp,you can't access by wading..

I have seen exactly ONE guy fly fishing for winter steelhead on the Stamp in all my years on that system. Seems probable that the complainers are not likely to be flea flickers, just people fed up with jet boats, combined with the continual decline in access to the river. As far as being least educated.................. when you learn to spell (not sure what a compianer is) your point may be taken with some level of seriousness.

when you see a wake comming to shore . Get your camera and record the small fish getting tossed up on shore by the wave .Did this in elk bay when cruse ship past,should be the same on the stamp river when jet boat wakes toss small fish on shore.If the waters calm near the edge the little ones will be right there .

Back