Stamp Steelhead

Thanx guy's, couple of days off mid week. Hope to give er a go-cheers dirty

landed 6 between 2 of us for an afternoon, only 2 winters though, missed a couple more. small fish too.

adda-way "scallop"! Stir 'em up...and folks wonder why so many people zip up this time of year. There is lot's of river, why would everyone want to focus in on just one hole in such a prolific system is absolutly and totally beyond me anyway.

Send them all to the pool party, I agree with you and then - that way there will be alot of other places for folks who hate crowds and would like to walk can go for a quality experience.

...and many of you wonder why I like going out in boats so much. Boats or floating is one of the easiest ways to avoid the crowds - this method for chasing steel however can be at times coined in away that is as bad in some anglers mind as being a hole hog and camping out in some of the more popular trail accessed shore spots.

There is alot that can be said for fellow anglers who love walk or float while searching for fresh steel and whom do move out of holes after a few casts.

It's all about learning to share the flow or any other piece of water that holds fish - times are a changing folks, enjoy your free fishing time while you can - treat your precious experiences like gold and by keeping them holding them close to you.

Share your precious times and experiences with other anglers thru stories of your trials and tribulations, simply omitt the data that is nessesary to keep things the way you would like to see them for the next time or any time in the future...

Most importently - help direct these transitional times on your own home waters, also in other areas that are also near and dear to you...places that you really care about are also the places to be concerned about!

Cheers,
RVP. ;)

quote:Originally posted by scallop

Anybody want to go to the falls pool this week. Il be there with my 8 and a half foot zebco with 10 of my friends.

The famous early morning Stamp River sitting in the black waiting till the sun comes up. Isn't and always has been a first come first serve up there? What's will the Hole Hawgs? I think of it like many things in this world, the one whom tries and works the hardest, shall be rewarded for there efforts.:D

Nog
That's not being a good sport, is it?
locals have and will always believe they owe thier home river, granted, however with the ever dimishing chrome on the rock, that flow is just going to get busier and busier!
I might be mistaken, but wasn't it not more than five years ago you had campers sitting in one of the more favorable spots, waiting in the dark for days to get that special spot??
And now guess what, they come over with their buddies, and thier buddies bring their buddies and before you know it, that one slick is covered in line and weights from their lack of knowing the flow, and ruined for the season.
just my thoughts
Slabby out

RVP i've known u for years, with the high water there isn't much to choose from. I need a 12 foot center pin rod, i'l b in this week.

Too many people forget or don't realise that we fish PUBLIC water...that means for everyone and as such should be shared. Rotational angling gives everyone a shot at the hole. With appropriate water conditions new fish will move through all day long meaning opportunities, potentially, for all. Most of my fishing is done drifting to avoid the crowds and I am careful to respect other's rights...like not floating over their hole where ever possible by providing a wide berth or drifting at their boot tips...I ask to see the shore angler's preference. If I want to fish the same hole, I park the boat and get into the rotation...when in Rome. But, this is rare as the boat presents so many more opportunities, I usually avoid the fray and look for 'roads less traveled' or fished. The thing to remember is we all have the right to fish, not just the guy(s) who got there first and a little courtesy will ensure we all enjoy our experience on the flow. Growing up in Onterrible and learning to share shoulder to shoulder on Great Lakes tribs. has me avoiding 'social therapy' on the river banks as much as possible these days. That being said, I can't deny the shortened learning curve from watching successful anglers in the social therapy context. So get out there, and learn what you can, maybe make a few friends. Then take that knowledge and try to find some flows less fished...if social therapy isn't for you.

quote:Originally posted by cowieslabslayer

Nog
That's not being a good sport, is it?
I might be mistaken, but wasn't it not more than five years ago you had campers sitting in one of the more favorable spots, waiting in the dark for days to get that special spot??
And now guess what, they come over with their buddies, and thier buddies bring their buddies and before you know it, that one slick is covered in line and weights from their lack of knowing the flow, and ruined for the season.
just my thoughts
Slabby out

LOL! Ummm... Nope. While I did know those folks, and did fish a fair bit with them while they were over, in no way was I in on the decision as to where they parked their campers. As for them bringing back their buddies and so on, again, wrong. That particular crew has only been back once since then, and didn't fish the hole in question.
I do agree that the area gets littered with abandoned gear by those who really don't know how to fish it. But find that is more a result of visiting anglers from much closer to home, ie: chiefly Islanders.

My rant was focused on another area entirely, and a couple of out-of-town ladz (small case intentional) that have decided they "own" it. And while this does happen on a semi-regular basis here, making it a daily event is just a tad disturbing. There is a lot of river here, a lot to explore, but permanently parking on one of the better spots, to the exclusion of all others (not simply locals) is indeed "Not being a Good Sport" in any sense of the word.

Sign of the times methinks. With opportunities becoming more and more limited everywhere, pressure is developing every and anywhere the possibility of hooking something exists. Just wish I didn't have to witness the results in my own back yard I guess. And one of the reasons I have, over the past couple of years, begun frequenting other, lesser known systems far more than the overly crowded Stamp.

Regards,
Nog

Matt,
Nicely written
However,I have not fished the system for a number of years, now have the Bulkley in my backyard, which has way more traffic than the Stamp ever did, and I never run into the maddness that occurs on the Stamp.
Those Fish bc people from the mainland were in my opinion total idiots on the flow. I have never seen campers at popular holes on the Bulkley.
That's my Rant.
Slabby

LOL - hehe...I know where you want go. I'm with ya Chev.

Cheers,
RVP. ;)

quote:Originally posted by chevyshaulass

Anyone have a spare quad?....

Rumor has it a couple top rods are getting together for a 2 day pounding. Jet boat and all the bait one could dream of including fresh bugs from parksville. Have fun boys!! Tell the fishmyster I said hi and I'll be seeing him real soon.. Got herar?;)

...I was up for a meeting in PA and had a chance to talk to Fishmyster and Fish-Rite tonight - the boys are havin' fun.

...maybe see you sunday Bags.

Cheers,
RVP. ;)

Hey Steeliehead,

I'm not absolutley certain but their website went down with a flood in PA awhile back. Might have something to do with that. Prior to that, they had a report every 2 weeks or so.

Sounds like you have some personal issues with them however.[B)] They've always been pretty good whenever I've frequented their store though.[^]

Sounds good just was wondering what happened with that, thats all. I've had pretty good service from them as well, but could be better.

Im glad to hear somebody has had good service there...

Anyone in the PA area interested in showing a couple of members around the stamp?
Yote and myself would like to come up for a day. We would camp in my trailer overnight to fish the next day. We would bring our own everything except knowledge of the river.

Sometime in the New Year.

Tips

Back