Stamp/Cowichan Steelhead

Dennis.t

Where are the Fish reports for the Stamp and Cowie???Nobody is reporting fack all on any of the sites. I cant find anything? Is it as bad on the island as it is on the mainland? We are having a poor year so far on the Vedd. So bad in fact, that I see only a few anglers on any given day fishing the areas where I frequent. Some of the more popular runs are even deserted. I cannot ever remember in my 30 plus yrs of fishing the Vedd for winter Steelhead, seeing so few anglers and so few fish. It is rare so far to even see a fish caught on any given day.

Well, at least there can be no blames on either jet or drift boats causing the lack of fish on the veddar ;) maybe it's the hatchery's fault ;)

There was an early push of fish on the cowie but was really slow in the weekend. A big O skunk O la on a drift on Sunday. We could use some rain water everywhere.

HS.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, at least there can be no blames on either jet or drift boats causing the lack of fish on the veddar ;) maybe it's the hatchery's fault ;)

There was an early push of fish on the cowie but was really slow in the weekend. A big O skunk O la on a drift on Sunday. We could use some rain water everywhere.

HS.
There has been no early push of fish this yr on the Vedd. Just a trickle here and there. The hatchery has received its 25 pairs of breeders the last couple of yrs. I think something is going terribly wrong with the ocean survival of these fish, with so few returning this yr so far. We had a lot of rain here a week ago and the river was in primo shape for days,its till in nice shape now. Hope this is a blip, and not a downward trend happening...

There has been no early push of fish this yr on the Vedd. Just a trickle here and there. The hatchery has received its 25 pairs of breeders the last couple of yrs. I think something is going terribly wrong with the ocean survival of these fish, with so few returning this yr so far. We had a lot of rain here a week ago and the river was in primo shape for days,its till in nice shape now. Hope this is a blip, and not a downward trend happening...

http://www.steelheadsociety.org/news/january-newsletter

Last edited by a moderator:
I think something is going terribly wrong with the ocean survival of these fish, with so few returning this yr so far. ..

Epic Fail
http://www.steelheadsociety.org/news/epic-fail-canadas-fishery-dilemma

PART VIII: IN TAKING THAT FIRST STEP
Human populations cycle, as do fish populations. One can only hope that the next human cycle is creative and productive, bringing benefits to humanity without bringing enduring harm to other life forms. A questionable outcome, however, given climate change, ocean acidification and the disruptions that likely will be endemic and eventually may set off panicky and irrational responses by governments that finally come to realize that the ‘no problem’ approach to climate change is taking nations in the wrong direction.

Hey GLG, please don't turn this thread into a "political" debate with mounds of essays,documents and papers to read. My intent here is to ask my fellow steelhead anglers first hand accounts as to what there seeing on the rivers we love to fish. Thank you

the steelhead fishing on the Stamp is non existent for the most part. and the cowie has had its moments but its still brutal. Need water.

the steelhead fishing on the Stamp is non existent for the most part. and the cowie has had its moments but its still brutal. Need water.
Nothing on the Stamp? Wow, I heard last yr was brutal as well. The Murphys and the other guides must be really hurting?

Was out on the Cowie on the weekend along with Hyde.. We were one of the lucky boats with a couple of fish. Heard of a few around but really slow.. Rumour has it the seals picked off a lot with the low water but who knows.. Rains coming but it might be to late. It was a nice day on the water though..

Its more than the Stamp/Cowichan, almost every river on the island has had weak returns of winter fish the last 3 years. Ocean survival is a likely factor but then why have summer runs and salmon returns been better than winter steelhead returns? Seals are part of the factor when we are talking about a few hundred fish no question. I guess salmon have numbers to offset seal predation unlike steelhead. Low water conditions don't help things either. Let's hope they are late.

"Kill A Seal, save a steelhead", should be our new moto.

Yes, there is in my mind a strong connection between seal predation and our steelhead woes.

More than that is the lack of a real recovery plan that does more than just manage anglers to keep them away from steelhead. We need a robust plan that is well funded that includes:

1. Habitat Enhancement
2. Hatchery Augmentation
3. Stream Fertilization
4. Predator Management

There's my list of the holly grail of steelhead recovery. The current status quo bs we are constantly being fed by MOE or rather the Ministry of Do Nothing "MDN" certainly isn't doing anything except chase anglers away.

Some places WORSE. The Stamp system is DEADER than I've EVER seen it :(

SUCKS!!!
Nog
Been wondering why u haven't been posting any fishing reports from the Stamp. Enjoy reading them. I rowed a boat down the Stamp/Somass for 5yrs in the 90s when I lived in Parksville. Those were such good times. I can remember multiple fish days that I thought would never end. Hard to swallow what has been happening there now.

Yes, there is in my mind a strong connection between seal predation and our steelhead woes.

More than that is the lack of a real recovery plan that does more than just manage anglers to keep them away from steelhead. We need a robust plan that is well funded that includes:

1. Habitat Enhancement
2. Hatchery Augmentation
3. Stream Fertilization
4. Predator Management

There's my list of the holly grail of steelhead recovery. The current status quo bs we are constantly being fed by MOE or rather the Ministry of Do Nothing "MDN" certainly isn't doing anything except chase anglers away.

You know what? Everyone was shouting and chanting "downsizing government". That's the result of that. A government that is rendered unfunctional and notoriously underfunded and understaffed to do anything.

Well said Searun.
I also wonder about netting in the lower Cowichan.
In the old days before the big log jam (could also have been a problem), I used to be amazed at the amount of nets and dead fish on the beach when we used to drift from The silver bridge to the old stonehouse church in a 8 ft. Livingston tri-hull.

Usually this time of year you can smell the steelhead on the river. Beautiful day it was on The river this past weekend. More than a few boats. We decided to arrive late and work really hard on the settled slots that would have already been hit. We did ok. Worked hard but saw some fresh fish. Consensus was that boats were hitting a fish or two if lucky. We need water levels to go up and a little more colour would be nice.

As far as the Stamp goes....... It's been brutal the past few years in comparison to how it used to be.

Back