Stainless Disc vs Regular Drum

fishwish

I would love to hear about any experiences regarding trailer brakes.

I am sick of replacing drums in my trailer, eventough I diligently rinse/flush my brakes with fresh water after every use.

Has anyone used stainless discs for a long period of time? Are they worth the extra money?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

FishWish

I have not used them myself but would have to feel that they would work better..
I thought that there was an outfit in Sidney producing brass disk brake systems... might be something to investigate

I have disc brakes on my 5 year old Shorlandr, brakes still working as new. You don't need stainless when using disc brakes. I flush mine after every submersing...because they completely open you can flush them off well and they dry completely afterwards as well. Will never go back to drums again.

Yup-- what Profisher said. The disc brakes on my Rogue trailer are two years old and as good as new. I know guys with drums that have had to replace the whole brake assembly after 2 yrs.

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

Thanks for the feedback. Better news than I expected. I am definitely in the "replace the drums" every two years group.

Makes sense about properly being able to rinse/dry the normal discs. They are a whole lot cheaper than the stainless.

Thanks again,

FishWish

What's involved in changing a trailer with drums over to discs. Can it be done or are we talking new axles etc etc. Are the discs hydraulic or electric or a combination of both? Any websites or personal experience would be welcome.

quote:Originally posted by profisher

I have disc brakes on my 5 year old Shorlandr, brakes still working as new. You don't need stainless when using disc brakes. I flush mine after every submersing...because they completely open you can flush them off well and they dry completely afterwards as well. Will never go back to drums again.

Is your rig surge or electric over hydro? I like the idea of discs, but I'm also hooked on electric brakes. I'm about ready to switch over, so I'd like some input.

Last Chance Fishing Adventures

www.lastchancefishingadventures.com
www.swiftsurebank.com

I went with the Tie Down Engineering Discs, could have spent more money on Stainless rotors, however i am more than pleased with the performance and reliability the past year. Got it all from Trotac. Calipers are aluminum, pads are from a generic cavalier, rotors sre set to go with new bearings all pre packed. They are simple to instal and come with a anti reverse solinoid in the kit that works like a charm, simply wires into your reverse light circuit on the truck. No more grabby brakes, adjusting siezed starwheel adjusters in the mud.... no more locking up and burning tires to the cords towing an empty trailer. Well worth the conversion.

www.tailspincharters.com

Mine are surge, its a 5800lb trailer. The only maintenance in 5 years has been bearing cleaning and re-packing (once) and lubing up the caliper slides. (once) That was done last fall. Sounds like Trotac has some good parts for conversions. I may be looking into the cost of a new trailer soon and selling this one while it is still like new. I'll be getting the exact same unit.

Back