"Squirt" size hoochie

SteelyDan

Can you fellas in the know clarify for me just what exactly a "squirt" size hoochie is for me? I always read reports of the purple haze squirts working and I have always wondered if there is a size in between the two I have pictured here that is the squirt size, or is a squirt just another name for a mini sardine? And if there is, where d I get it? lol Thanks

Attachments

• fishing 032.jpg
    fishing 032.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 654
I think the smallest is the "plankton'' size of hoochie....but it looks close to your mini-sardine in size...

I've got plankton in 2 sizes, 2" and 4". The smallest looks just abit smaller than your mini sardines. I'm away from my tackle so I could be slightly off on this but pretty sure I got it

Thanks for the info guys. I suspected that there was more than 1 opinion of just what a squirt was.

99% of the time when guys say squirt they mean needlefish squirt like craven posted. I've got a few off the flats on that exact one he posted as well ;)

Scott knows his squirts :p

X2.......r.s.craven's pic is what we've always called a "squirt".

But I've often thought those "bait" size hoochies might be very effective at times when the prevailing bait is very small.

Last edited by a moderator:
Steelydan.......for the small bait-type hoochies you could try PacNet or Nikka....also Redden. PacNet particularly.

Most tackle shops don't seem to carry a huge selection of those......it's whatever you find when you get there in many cases.

CanTire has been carrying some made by Boone as of late.....at least here on the island. But I'm not up on whether Boone hoochies are good or not.

Gone Fishin' in Port Alb. has a few of 'em.....Wholesale Sports in Nanaimo had a handful.

Harbor Chandler in Nan had a few too last time I was there.

Where do you live?

hmmmm, if a Mini Plankton in a Yamashita is a squirt, why cant I find anything on the net of a MPOA12R? Sadly, I live on the mainland, so I'll probably pop into PNT next time I'm going through Richmond and ask...

Lollypop....you are correct, sir.

In the book "Bucktails and Hoochies" by Bruce Colgrave and Jack Gaunt (first printing 1971), on page 90
the Radiant Squirt is mentioned.

Quote:- " One of the hottest hoochies used in the last two years has been the "squirt". This is a hoochie which is small in diameter, about the size of a needle-fish type bait. The most productive method of rigging the squirt seems to be the double-hook setup. Two "up-eye" hooks, size 2/0 or 3/0 are best for this rig. These can be purchased in most sportingoods stores under the name "Radiant Squirt".

SteelyDan:- you could try Tyee Tackle in Campbell River for mail-order. They are on the net too. they carry Radiant hoochies and Radiant still sells the mini-plankton. One version is their mini-plankton with a spinner in front of it. It's called a "Slam Dunk". They sell them unrigged as well.

I think Squirt is just the term used for that size mini Plankton plastic, As far as i know terminology in plastic, largest to smallest would be Turd,Cuttle fish, Hootchie, needlefish hootchie, and then squirt (mini Plankton) so this MPOA12R is what your looking for correct? Try buying a needle fish Purple Haze and cutting off the ends a making it shorter the size of a mini plankton? If your having problems finding what your looking for. F21SR is that what your looking for? They call them mini sardines on this site, http://www.silverhorde.com/id155.html

Thank you Seafever for that info I guess 25 yrs ago when we were calling the mini plankton plastics "squirt" we were wrong good to know. Bruce and Jack got her down pat. For now on I will refer to the Needlefish as a Squirt. Man lifes exciting things you do when its blowin 30 knots. LOL I wish they could have clarified this in there Book though. "about the size of a needle-fish type bait"

lots of good info here, thanks fellas. I think for now I'm just going to stuff a mini sardine up another ones butt and space it out with a bead or 2. I actually tied one up and it should work, its the right size and thats what counts.

Back