spooling up a new MR3????

Randy waugh

So islander says you don't need backing but I was going to load it up with some anyway
And I wanted to try something new I always use the hiviz 30#big game green
What's new out there?

The new Berkeley ProSpec is awesome and is my new favourite. 30 lb ProSpec is the same diameter as 25 lb Ultragreen / Big Game, but way more supple and less memory. I usually go 25 lb in Big Game / Ultragreen but have switched to 30 lb ProSpec. Note that Berkeley has more colours than they show on their website - I went with a light blue that they don't show. Also comes in hi viz if that's you jam.

Just spooled up an Abel with it and have been very happy so far. Can't comment on the abrasion resistance yet, the only time I notice that being as issue is in the spring when the algae blooms and that sticky snot fouls up the line and I haven't found any difference between Big Game and Ultragreen in that situation. I have noticed the ProSpec is way more slippery (have had to bury the line in the clip quite a bit further), so hopefully it will help the snot build up and/or make it easier to get off.

I'd also go with the backing - I think it looks better and it is nice to have that extra cushion for the mono to sit on and for a "warning" when you're getting spooled. No downside in my view.

I don't have nice reels, but I like using 50lb braid with about 60 feet of 30lb mono on top (to clip to) on mooching reels. Seems to telegraph the hits and fight a bit better than stretchy mono.

This has been covered in many threads but, just because mooching reels are made strong enough that the spool won't warp if loaded w/ straight mono, like a lighter fly reel will, doesn't mean you have to or should. Two primary reasons for backing are cost - cheaper to spool the bottom half w/ cheaper and thicker backing, and as pointed out above the transition let's you know if you have a ton of line out. With a 500 yard capacity, filling the bottom half w/ backing still means 200 to 225 yards of mono without crowding the rim of the spool. That's 600-750 feet of mono, which is still a ton!

Cheers!

Ukee

Reactions: Fox
like to go with 100-150 yds 30lb flyline backing then load up with 300 yds 60 lb braid then two rods lengths of 25lb mono top shot
works well for me for the last 10+ years ...
but try and see what works for yourself it all comes down to personal use and what your happy with

Wild thing, assuming with the short mono top shot you run your gear really close to your clip? Or do you clip braid?

Cheers!

Ukee

clip into the last few inches of the mono as the braid wont stick in the clip
but i have a rod length to play with
just tend to fish howe sound and out in the straight so
dont run plug's which would need to be further back
so it covers most not all

even dont run snubbers on the cannon balls
as i run bells on the outside pair to let me know when hitting bottom

maybe with shorter rods it may not work as well but with 10-6's and longer no issues

use the one you have most faith in .
as there are lots of good ones out there some more tricky to tie than others
but most should not fail you unless your tying it wrong....
i still use an oldie

two passes through on an over hand in the mono makes a figure of eight
thread the braid through both loops and on the mono leader side
use a nail knot for the braid using a tapestry needle ..
i pull knots tight using needle nose piles and trim with clippers and scissors its not let me down yet after
many years using it ...

Back