Spooking

totally tyee

I have often had this argument over a few wobly pops after a long day of fishing: Does to many flashers to close together spook chinooks?

I take the side of the argument that 1 flasher per downrigger is plenty and that any more than that just spooks them.

OH T T now your really going to get me going arent you well if any body who has seen me knows i fish 4 rods 2 on each rigger both with flashers and i have no problem catching big springs funny thing is most of my really big ones i seem to catch on the top rods.

Ask ol vince gee about that a couple of years ago him and i went out off of trap we had a couple of 20 somethings when we were talking about those big slugs and how you get them up on the surface more, well then all hell broke loose he fought this fish for a good ten minutes then the sad part about this happened a seal came up ant took it into the reef I was throwing seal bombs at it and every thing else we could find as we could see the fish up in the seals mouth as he draged himself up on to the rocks to SHOW US how big the fish was needless to say im sure he fattened up on that fish because it was a a rather large fish bigger than what we had but i wont say it was a 40lber but im sure it was up there.

Now to go back to spooking the fish i really dont think so. the way I fish I think it probably looks like a big school of bait down there with the flashers spinning.I think it has to do more with speed I see guys out there alot trolling at mach 1 not getting much but the odd time they will catch teeners because those fish are aggresive any ways. i troll just fast enough to spin the flasher its a nice gentle flash not going around fast as a top.

One thing about catching big springs is you have to think like them there fat and lazy thats how they got big they dont like fast moving water they like it on the downside of a reef where they can just swim slowly till a piece of my bait comes by then well the rest is usually history.

Havent you ever noticed how many big springs get caught in front of second rock or the purple house at otter when the current is racing past otter hhhhhmmmmmmm Think like a wolf and you get your prey LOL
WOLF

Edited by - wolf on 05/07/2004 16:18:48

very true Mama, I have only seen a handfull of fish over 50 taken on a flash. Only one of my 50+ fish have come on a flasher, but it was a dummy flasher to boot.
Hillier catches all of his big fish with flash though also.

Yo mama question for you how many people use flashers up there?if 1 out of 50 fisherman use flashers then of course you are not going to get the numbers. im talking about sooke fishing for which i know best I used to cut plug 15 years ago up in renfrew when there was big herring up there then switch to trolling flashers for the numbers. Wolf

I'm not saying that they won't hit one but the majority of them I feel will shy away from the flashers compared to a naked bait. Alot of us use flashers and you can definatly see the hog numbers go down when trolling gear up there, but you will see the numbers of average size go up. Yes that might be the rule in Sooke, but they don't have a hell of alot of choice due to the fact that everybody and there dog is running flashers. By far the naked cutplug herring has acounted for the most 50+ pound chinook in the world.

quote:From what I have witnessed up north, It seems to scare them off more than attract them hogs. It is very rare to catch 50 and 60's on flashes up there.

The above statement means very very little considering that fish of 50 & 60 pounds are very rare anywhere in BC-what's your point anyway?

How many fish over 50 are caught throhout BC in a year?

15?

20?

Kirk,

Check your facts before ya start stirrin' the pot!

The Naden Harbor region alone gets up to 100+ fifties 15+ sixties and 2 70+ers in the last 3 years on average and thats only between 2 lodges. one of the lodges had 80 over 50 in one season. This is not even including Langara Island. So yes I have seen well over hundreds of chinook caught and yes mostly on cuts. Yes things might change once they hit Sooke but I'm speaking from first hand knowledge in the QCI's

Yo Mama is right on with his facts, atleast 100 50+ pound fish are caught in the Naden Harbour region alone each year over the past few years. It is a big fish area though, better known for its big fish than its numbers of fish.

Did Sooke not have a banner year last year? atleast a dozen?

Yer right.I have read the 67 also, and none have been informative, OR positive. ht.

Am I on the FishBC board???? This is starting to bring back bad memories of getting banned from the FishBC board because some people say the stupidist things and I can't keep my mouth shut. lol Come on, this was actually getting informative and I was learning a thing or two. Let's not let one rotten apple......
Ok I'll start another topic.

Yo mama what do you guys troll behind a flasher? herring or chovies?
what i was refering to earlier was I think those big fish are up on the surface more thats why cutpluging works so well your only down 10 to 20 feet also what i wrote about speed too as you know when you guys cutplug up there your barely moving so those big slugs hammer it, myself i troll at around 1.5 to 2.5 kts trolling flashers just enough speed to move the flasher, of course i would rather cutplug but it doesnt seem to work very well down here i think there is to much current and not a lot of bigger herring most of the herring i see around possesion and otter are very small maybe 4 inches at the most thats why chovies work so good down here.I have used cutplug up at knights also but it doesnt seem to catch as many fish as the flasher and chovie combo even with the big herring you find in the fishes guts go figure it.
when do you go up to the the lodge?soon i hope i hear its pretty good up there already from the people i know who live up there chat to you soon Wolf

Back