Speaking of Prawns

R

Red Herring

Hi All,

Thinking of heading out into Mill Bay for some prawning, and was wondering if anyone had ever prawned off the Victoria shore line? I have seen some commercial guys out there (last year), and hear that the prawns are bigger, but not as plentiful as the inlet. Just ondering if one of ya'all have had some experience out there? Any worry about the commercial guys pinching your traps?

Thanks!!

Red

Yes i have done it!!!!!!!! damn the secret is out all you have to do is really watch your tides and put about 10 lbs of lead in your trap to get it down guick the thing you dont realise is the current is rather strong.
also use the foam floats at least 2 of them if you use the air filled ones they will burst if you dont watch the currents they accually go under water with the combination of the weight of the trap and the lead in it, we used just one foam float and went back to look for them none were around waited for slack tide poof they came back up,the foam looked like it was heated it shriveled up like a prune from the water pressure. good luck wolf bye the way they poen up for commercial guys may 1.

Aw geez!! It was a secret?!? What find of a fisherman am I - LOL! I had heard that alot of weight was needed - and thanks for the tide tip - won't panic If I cannot find them when its ripping!! Have you been out there this year so far?

Red

Back