Southeast Alaska is shutting down their chinook fisheries...gulp

The fish belong to the people of Canada, not the people of British Columbia.

People in all of Canada pay for DFO.

Do your homework, please.

Also, the SFAB has asked for an increase in licensing for years.
The governments have not done anything about this yet. Both party's have been in power but neither has done anything.

By the way, who is going to control and decide what to do with all this money you want raised?

Thank you I was going to say exact same thing. Who manages money? All the federal government will do is shovel it to Ontario and east coast. The only way that would work is for a non-government to control the disbursement of funds. So until then I would say no. Its better for everyone just to support their local enhancement groups and organizations.

Last edited:
Before any more money is collected & spent, I'd like to see much greater accountability from the various governing bodies (US/BC) involved in Salmon.
OldBlackDog; SpringVelocity; Try & be better about reading & comprehending what others say before you criticize; I'm sure a much more positive conversation will result.

Just out of curiosity if all in Canada pay for DFO, and the fish belong to everyone in Canada, why must you buy a license?

Like it or not, money makes the world go around, even volunteer work has costs.

Giving more money away in license fees is like giving a crackhead money to go and buy food.

Time for the local Angling groups to start doing some leg work on here to recruit some new paying members, not everyone can attend meetings but if they start making their presence more known and make it "easy" to join, pay fees, provide transparency for money spent and opportunities to get people to help in habitat rejuvenation, we may just see a difference in years to come.

I've got major problems with people looking to Mummy Government to solve any problems, they usually have the opposite effect, it's really uncanny. Always remember, a politicians ONLY real skill is getting elected, other than that, they are no smarter than anyone else. They sure as hell couldnt give a rats butt about wild salmon.

OldBlackDog; SpringVelocity; Try & be better about reading & comprehending what others say before you criticize; I'm sure a much more positive conversation will result.

Just out of curiosity if all in Canada pay for DFO, and the fish belong to everyone in Canada, why must you buy a license?

And another thread goes south again. Have a good day! Disengaging.

The fish belong to the people of Canada, not the people of British Columbia.

People in all of Canada pay for DFO.

Do your homework, please.

Also, the SFAB has asked for an increase in licensing for years.
The governments have not done anything about this yet. Both party's have been in power but neither has done anything.

By the way, who is going to control and decide what to do with all this money you want raised?

you will be see a increase ..coming your way shortly

That is fine as long as the terms are agreed to.

By the way who will be controlling the money and what written guarantees are in place to ensure regardless of government they will be kept?
Because we know governments and beurocrats never lie or go back on their words

you will be see a increase ..coming your way shortly

As far as I know there are two components to fishing license revenue:

1) licence fee (around $20 annually for residents of BC) - around 300K-350K anglers purchase this each year so around $6M give or take. This money goes to general revenue.
2) salmon conservation stamp ($6 annually per person) - around 250K-300K anglers buy the stamp so around $1.5M give or take. This money is collected by the Feds but goes to PSF's Community Salmon Program which then disperses it to streamkeepers and enhancement groups across BC who apply for funding.

Therefore, at the current state of affairs we should all be encouraging increasing the stamp value if we want to ensure the money will stay in BC and go directly to salmon conservation efforts.

Thank you I was going to say exact same thing. Who manages money? All the federal government will do is shovel it to Ontario and east coast. The only way that would work is for a non-government to control the disbursement of funds. So until then I would say no. Its better for everyone just to support their local enhancement groups and organizations.

Does that include freshwater licenses too? Or does that money go somewhere else? $37 for my freshy this year as opposed to $27(?) for my salty.

Does that include freshwater licenses too? Or does that money go somewhere else? $37 for my freshy this year as opposed to $27(?) for my salty.

Freshwater license fees are directed to the Freshwater Fisheries Society of BC, which is an arms length (non profit) entity from the Provincial Ministry, set up to manage the fish stocking and management programs throughout the Province. As far as I know, there is no working relationship between FFSBC and DFO and it's saltwater licensing program.

Thanks. Too bad really, the freshwater sector seems to be doing ok and there's probably some good information that could be shared.

Guys where can a guy donate money to where it actually will go to salmon enhancement & where can a guy donate where it will go towards lobbyists supporting the req sector. We have so many battles on different fronts, we need to focus resources to win one at a time.

What I pay a year to fish, I can put some money back into keeping salmon swimming up our rivers. It's a resource I utilize for both enjoyment & feeding my family. The only resource I truly put back into the system is my fishing license & that's peanuts.

Sitting here on the land locked prairies I feel useless in what I can do to help. This discussion has been a good one because it has me thinking a lot. Even looking in the mirror at what I can do differently. Life with out a healthy west coast fishery would take away the best parts of my life. I know that may sound ridiculous but it's 100 true. It's in my blood &!there is nothing I am more passionate about. I remember 2 years ago when I brought my family to Haida Gwaii. It was the best family trip we have ever done. It left a bigger impression on my wife and kids then Diseney Land. Now we are planning for next year to do Rennal Sound for a few weeks & bring up my own boat.

Seeing what's happening right now is making me sick. Seeing our Chinooks struggling in all parts of the coast is scary...
Pacific Salmon Foundation psf.ca Skeena Wild or Watershed Watch are all doing good work and worth supporting.

Lots of springs on West Side Gwaii right now, thicker than the coho. They're coming. :p

That's good to hear. To have that in Mid August is crazy

Hi tincan - thanks for the info. I will try & keep my money local. I have been paying for a non-resident annual thinking it would make a difference but will be buying the 3 days going forward.

I think a great place for us to start is a non-resident salmon stamp that should be in the $20 range.
My guests are always surprised at how inexpensive licensing is here when they are from another country

In the last article posted by agent ,at the beggining of the paragraph,stated a chinook must be of 40 pounds,hence the problem with commertial hi- grading their limited pieces of catch for larger average pounds per fish.The smaller fish are releaced for a larger fish to make the average size better for more profit.

Back