Sooke2015

Buddy had posted 2 today on Faceplant;17 & 22 lbs...yahoo,they're out there,timing is everything ;)

The salmon weren't out there for me in the hour or two I spent trolling and I didn't see any nets out. Lots of bait below 100ft, some of the jellies fouling up the lines, and not many big targets. Fished for salmon (when the current was too strong to anchor) but focused on halibut today. My buddy kept one of the sharks caught and we filleted it, interesting to see the anatomy. HUGE eggs. He's going to let me know how the flesh tastes. I'm a snob and I'll stick to halibut for now, but I'm curious enough to try it sometime, as long as I don't have to waste two litres of milk soaking the fillets to rid them of urea.

After picking my way through the biblical fog this morning did a few runs from secretary to and from the trap with zero action except a rockfish which became an eagle's brunch. reeled in, and ran up to otter. after a few hours there landed a pink and later a hatchery spring (8 lbs) both between 120 and 150 on the bottom on a #3 gibbs tri-colour spoon (white, pink and green) and on the slack. bait produced nothing. did not see another net out, despite the numbers, although a charter group went home smiling with their 3 good sized smileys. Was not expecting a pink this early but there was no mistaking its identity upon closer examination (and once filleted).

Last edited by a moderator:
There is fish there went out last 2 days first day hit 4 only landed 1 yesterday hit 5 got 2 so odds are increasing LOL found them in deeper water today im out again for 2 days ill post what i see . we have stronger floods coming in good in 4 days im sure it will pick up...

Good luck Wolf

Out west 6-10 today. 2 wild, 2 hatch springs. 7-12lbs deep. 3 out of 4 came off the bottom using a small squirt and 22" short leader. Had a double header at one point of bigger summer fish on bait but lost both- guessing they were in the high teens. Decent action for 4 hrs of fishing.

Set out with two new batteries today following last week’s escapade. Fished 7:00 until 1:00pm. Possession point, Bluffs, down to trailer park and back. Had one big hit at 8:30 am at 56’ on anchovy off the Bluffs. Felt a decent fish, pulled for 30 seconds and then was gone. That was it for the day. Not been a lucky spell for us – 4 blanks out of the last 5 trips including two “no hitters” to use the baseball terminology. LOL:) (From HF's post above looks like we gotta go west!!)

Cannot complain about the weather though. Felt like a late July day – amazing stuff for early June - , until wind picked up in late morning. However, even that seemed to be declining as we came in.

I was out last weekend, 8am - 5pm, trolled from otter point to just past Sherringham, had 2 REALLY GOOD hits, one likely in the 30's and the other high teens to low 20's. both at 80', long leader green glow teaser, green flasher. lost them both :( then had another one (same gear) landed it, and it was a small pink. Also had 2 other little springs (like 12") we reeled in and let go.
Mid week last week, went out in the afternoon for a few hours, was kinda snotty there so only went around secretary. Dropped the gear on one side (again green gear listed above) and before I had a chance to go drop the second line the first was going off. Had a REALLY BIG hit, was likely high 30's if not bigger, played for about 10mins, and then lost him :( Put the gear back down and within 10mins had another hit, got it up right beside the boat, played the 3 stooges game by myself, just about to net him and lost him. Guess I am a little rusty as this is the first real fishing I have done in over 10 years. was pretty exciting though!

I was out last weekend, 8am - 5pm, trolled from otter point to just past Sherringham, had 2 REALLY GOOD hits, one likely in the 30's and the other high teens to low 20's. both at 80', long leader green glow teaser, green flasher. lost them both :( then had another one (same gear) landed it, and it was a small pink. Also had 2 other little springs (like 12") we reeled in and let go.
Mid week last week, went out in the afternoon for a few hours, was kinda snotty there so only went around secretary. Dropped the gear on one side (again green gear listed above) and before I had a chance to go drop the second line the first was going off. Had a REALLY BIG hit, was likely high 30's if not bigger, played for about 10mins, and then lost him :( Put the gear back down and within 10mins had another hit, got it up right beside the boat, played the 3 stooges game by myself, just about to net him and lost him. Guess I am a little rusty as this is the first real fishing I have done in over 10 years. was pretty exciting though!

Sounds like good fun but I'm not sure I have the highly developed skill you have to estimate the size of the fish from the hit. ;-)

There is still a slot isn't there? If so, 30+ lbs would be well into release so you were probably doing yourself and the fish a good deed by not handling it.

You mean you have no idea how big a fish is as it peels out line and your playing it for 10mins? Maybe I am out to lunch, but I can tell the difference between how a 30+ fights from a 15lb er. But what do I know?

We are going to be Zone 2 guys. Not sure if it begins this weekend or Father's Day weekend, but confirmed today!!!

You will be able to retain I wild with no upper slot size in areas 19 & 20

Back