Sooke2015

Hey Guys. I have fished Sooke for a week each summer for a number of years and have learned a few things about tides and currents there. However I am wondering how tides with small changes affect fishing. It seems with smaller tides changes there is less bait balled up and in my limited experience the fishing is not as good. I am planning a trip to Sooke June 22nd to 25th and these are the tides on those dates.
Would appreciate any comments on the affect they may have on fishing those days.

Attachments

• Sooke tides.JPG
    Sooke tides.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 1,225
Easier to fish halibut. Certainly, except last year, the fishing is always great in August when we have the big tides.

ill be out a few days prior when your getting close give me a shout ill give you the goods...chat soon Wolf

Fished this morning for 3 hours, bluffs to otter point and back. Decent water and weather conditions, first fish 15 min in - oversize Wild, then a 8-10 hatchery and one lost. Couple other hits. All hits on green/glow hootchies around 100 ft on rigger, 110-140 water depth.

otter point for a few hours this morning - one barely legal which was released ... moved secretary and trap with no results but a great view of the swiftsure. bait, hootchies and coho killer from 60 to 250 feet.

whirl bay 530am till 200pm 11lbs clipped 8lbs wild 10 lbs clipped 110 and 120 in 120 feet of water,all fish caught in front of the big pile of scotch brooom on land.lost 2 around 10lbs at side of boat .red hot spot with 3inch cop car spoon and moon glow flasher with 6 foot castle point teaser head from rhys davis.11lb er good enough for 4th place in plumbers union derby- first class /fantastic prizes!!! winner was a 29 lber from sherringham! great day on the water with some great buddies!!!

3 in boat today nothing huge up to 11lbs....Kept 2 and released one... two hatchery one wild all out east deep 120-160.. Wind was a little annoying today but fish able... Nice day to be out...

Last edited by a moderator:
Found this in our teenager spring today....perch/shiner or ? Never thought this was in their diet.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 1,432
Found this in our teenager spring today....perch/shiner or ? Never thought this was in their diet.

eb1c7f11e8bb3414377664be910098e8.jpg

Strange. I found this rockfish in the belly of a coho last year on the west coast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lawlu, that looks similar to the fish a friend found in his halibut stomach this weekend. I've seen them in salmon before too. I think they are pompano, but I'm not sure. His was in better shape and it fit the description of iridescent and no pelvic fin.

pompano.jpg

Here's one from last summer.

Fishing report: Headed west this weekend and caught two small halibut at about 100ft depth. One of them had a fist sized piece of rubbery flesh with a beak embedded in it, I'm guessing octopus but I don't know how to tell the difference between squid and octopus beaks. Put in a short attempt for salmon but came up empty.

Out today, started at Otter and did a one way troll to LightHouse and then back to Muir. Hit 4 springs, landed 2 (14 and 12 pounds) and a 4 pound PINK!!! Earliest I have ever caught a pink in the season. The 12 was wild and came from Sheringham and the 14 was a hatchery from Muir....it hit with last rod in the water as we were pulling gear and leaving for home.

View attachment 18327

Here's one from last summer.

Fishing report: Headed west this weekend and caught two small halibut at about 100ft depth. One of them had a fist sized piece of rubbery flesh with a beak embedded in it, I'm guessing octopus but I don't know how to tell the difference between squid and octopus beaks. Put in a short attempt for salmon but came up empty.

I was just asked about these - turns out they are pacific butterfish - typically show up during El Nino.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup, butterfish is another name for them. Apparently get to 11" and are edible. I wonder what a good imitation spoon would be?

Went out today from 9:00am until 12:30pm in hopes of breaking the recent string of blanks. At first it looked like it was not going to happen as we trolled from the harbour mouth past the bluffs all the way to trailer park, bouncing against the flood tide and through the cold fog and breeze, without a touch.

Finally at trailer park, as we turned out and went a little deeper got a very decent hit and boated a 6lb hatch. Got another almost identical fish 10 minutes later in the same area – 7lb hatchery this time. Both fish came to anchovy at 66’ in 110 feet of water. Not big fish but a reasonable start to the summer.

Called it a day as some breaks finally appeared in fog and trolled back with the flood to the harbour with no further hits at all. Still fog in the harbour mouth, well after noon. Bar-B-Q salmon with my visiting daughter tonight!!

Went out today from 9:00am until 12:30pm in hopes of breaking the recent string of blanks. At first it looked like it was not going to happen as we trolled from the harbour mouth past the bluffs all the way to trailer park, bouncing against the flood tide and through the cold fog and breeze, without a touch.

Finally at trailer park, as we turned out and went a little deeper got a very decent hit and boated a 6lb hatch. Got another almost identical fish 10 minutes later in the same area – 7lb hatchery this time. Both fish came to anchovy at 66’ in 110 feet of water. Not big fish but a reasonable start to the summer.

Called it a day as some breaks finally appeared in fog and trolled back with the flood to the harbour with no further hits at all. Still fog in the harbour mouth, well after noon. Bar-B-Q salmon with my visiting daughter tonight!!

Good going English. Watched you launch and pull out. Sounds like you were catching fish and had a lot more fun than us. We spent that time among other things changing zincs, cleaning up an ugly dirty bilge and fixing a small drip fuel leak which turned out to be the fitting on one of the Racors. Removed it and put some gas/fuel rated plumbers tape (the yellow stuff) on the threads and reinstalled the fitting. Hopefully there are no other leaks. Got a list of other things to fix before the boat goes back in the water for the summer and we can join you out there having fun.

Back