SOOKE REPORTS spring/summer 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
It has been pretty slow on the Slamon Salmon front. It is that transition time, when the US Hatchery fish move on and the Migratory Mutts are not quite there in any large numbers yet. Just my oppinion, but I have a feeling things are running late this year. Those in the Know that I know, in the Commercial fleet are having the same findings early on, but got some good fish near the end of the trip.

I have not seem much feed around my last Hali/salmon trips either? I did see the whales out off the Head milling around for a fair bit, looked to be feeding on something worth while. Last week of May is always good for a biggie size or two, may be a C&R show if the slot is not lifted though???

Nice job on the Double, MMCL

www.tailspincharters.com

thanks Tailspin and juandesuca. I went out this morning and got skunked, but man was it a nice day out there near whirl bay. I heard a lot of radio chatter about action off the Head around noon, but time was out for me and I had to head home.

Hit the Trap today not much happening for me.. Saw a couple of fish taken and heard of a couple of hatch jobs around 15#.. It's early but a nice day on the pond.

Slot limit continued...

FN0352-RECREATIONAL - Fraser River Chinook - Areas 19 and 20 - Recreational Management Actions Continued

Category(s):
RECREATIONAL - Salmon

Fishery Notice - Fisheries and Oceans Canada

Subject: FN0352-RECREATIONAL - Fraser River Chinook - Areas 19 and 20 - Recreational Management Actions Continued

The Department is continuing to implement the measures as outlined in Fishery
Notice FN0092. The Department has been in consultations with representatives
of the Sport Fishing Advisory Board to develop new management measures to
further protect Fraser River Chinook populations as they move past the Victoria
area. Details of those measures are still being finalized.

Effective 00:01 hours Saturday May 22, 2010 and until further notice the daily
limit is two (2) chinook salmon per day which may be wild or hatchery marked
between the size limit of 45 cm and 67 cm or hatchery marked only chinook over
67 cm in length. These restrictions on chinook salmon will be in effect in
Subareas 19-1 to 19-4 and Subarea 20-5 (those waters near Victoria between
Cadboro Pt to Sheringham Pt.).

An update will be provided on the duration of these management measures in a
subsequent fishery notice by the end of May.

Notes:

Sport anglers are encouraged to participate in the voluntary Salmon Sport Head
Recovery program by labelling and submitting heads from adipose fin-clipped
chinook and coho salmon. Recovery of coded-wire tags provides critical
information for coast-wide stock assessment. Contact the Salmon Sport Head
Recovery Program at (866) 483-9994 for further information.

Barbless hooks are required when fishing for salmon in tidal and non-tidal
waters of British Columbia. This includes all species of fish in the Fraser
River.

Anglers are requested to release any hatchery marked sockeye. These fish are
hatchery raised sockeye and part of a recovery program designed to increase the
numbers of Cultus Lake sockeye.

The term "hatchery marked" means a fish that has a healed scar in place of the
adipose fin.

Rockfish Conservation Areas that are currently in effect and are closed to all
fin fishing. Descriptions of these closures, and other recreational fishing
information, can be found on the Internet at:

www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/recfish

Did you witness suspicious fishing activity or a violation? If so, please call
the Fisheries and Ocean Canada 24-hour toll-free Observe, Record, Report line
at (800) 465-4336.

For the 24 hour recorded opening and closure line, call toll-free at
(866) 431-FISH.

Variation Order No. 2010-233 dated May 19, 2010.

FOR MORE INFORMATION:

Contact the local DFO office in your area for further information.

Fisheries and Oceans Canada Operations Center - FN0352
Sent May 19, 2010 at 11:51
Visit us on the Web at http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca

Ive been waiting to see this post! God Danm it! I knew it was coming. I love how they dont put an ending date! Who knows maybe we will be catching only hatchery fish in august!

Oh well good hali tides this weekend, Gonna hit the flatties!

Out friday for a boat ride and tied into this with my little one and the Lab. What a day, always will remember that fish. Just set the gear down, then had my head burried in the fridge getting some water for the dog, little one starts calling out Dadda, Dadda Oohhhh, Ohhh... I look over and the rod is pinned. Now every time we go out she says fish, fish. She's hooked, lol
IMG_4120.jpg

A 74 and a 35 yesterday on a short fish and then one 9 lb Hatch job in four hours, 2 other hits, all off the Head. Some good swells, felt like Uci! Saw a few Hali at the dock around the fifty mark.
IMG_4132.jpg

www.tailspincharters.com

Sweet fish justin! I will be out there today! Giving it a go. Nice to see the little one involved at a young age!!!

-Steve

Out with Bigmeal at 6 this am ,seemed slow , lots of bait around and showing a few fish . Got one near Alderidge over the slot . Beauty fresh fish , you can tell by the burn mark on my hand .. Went out in the afternoon with the family nothin ,,,but a few more crabs .

kids had a blast

fricken Slot

tubbed

very nice TP, love seeing little ones out with Dads, get them hooked while young, Had grand daughter out last year with the pnks and she had a blast, she is now HOOKED 7YRS OLD.
Not the place but maybe a forum for kids that fish with Dad and some Pics as well:):) JDR

fised 730-10 yesterday morning at the trap, hit two, 12 and 16, both hatch. 120 on Large herring in a chovy set up...

mmcl

fised 730-10 yesterday morning at the trap, hit two, 12 and 16, both hatch. 120 on Large herring in a chovy set up...

mmcl

Fished 3-8:15 tonight hit 14 ling all about 3-7 pounds. Purple Haze flasher Purple Haze squirt. 150 ft Bedfords. No salmon.

-Steve

otter this morning for me, only boat there. 6 fish in the 5-8 pound range, one about ten, wild one in the around 15-16lb and lost a hatch about 11-12lb beside the boat, lost a few others too. There was a lot of good eaters around, they kept me pretty busy being solo... all released, majority were hatch jobs too...

mmcl

Lots of smaller chinook almost like fishing for pinks, non stop action great for the kids, kept two for the BBQ. Spoons and hootchies 30 ft down to 55 ft. lots jumping or swirling at the surface. Mostly hatch. :D

I have heard some more similar report to BB ... lots of small springs around. And a lot of smaller coho too, all hatchery keepers. Maybe not trophy hunting material, but lots of fun, and good for dinner and the smoker.

Interesting how few Sooke reports there are this year, compared to prior years -- slot limit seems to have really dampened the enthusiasm... [xx(]

Well i can tell you it is slow out there did a trip the other day before the hammer came down 5 charter boats off of sheringham not one big spring caught,
I personally dont even want to go out there as i know ill catch a big one and if its fowl hooked what a waste it will be and i just dont want to do that but i will be out in about a week looking for some because im at the point now with DFO im frustrated and if they dont care why should I. From what a few of the charters have said they are moving people around as they dont want to do it either.

So im almost at the point now if/when i do get one and cut the leader as ill never touch the fish ill leave the hook in its mouth and leave it in the water and its gill hooked and floats upside down???what am i supposed to do my hands are tied im damned if I do and damned if I dont just plain stupid. ill post when i do really start but until then there not too many out chatted to one guy today(jimbob) said he seen 2 fish caught so far.

Good luck Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back