SOOKE REPORTS spring/summer 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Rick, I'll call you.

IMG_3764.jpg

Recognize those two faces Addicted, wind kicked us off Saturday before we finished, great day though:D.

www.tailspincharters.com

Hey tailspin ya thats what I was worried about - the reel itself or the handles contacting the holder and binding. I just got rid of these old school holders from when my gramps owned my boat - they look like big claws and they are hard on the cork, which is why I got rid of them, but they come out easy and just strait up. I ended up with the Orca II's that I'll use for salmon and hali, though I'm worried they'll break with hali - time will tell.

Profisher how do you get around the binging issue? Are you using center pins?

Ya Islanders, LA-4's, MR2 & MR3's. I've never had an issue. I'll have to go put one in the holder and see if I can make mine do what you guys are saying. I used to use the tubes on the booms, but now I'm using some real light weight Trophy bucktail rods and the butt section is quite short. I knew that there wouldn't be enough rod in the tube and the butt section could snap from the torque. The Orca's work great with my setup. I almost lost a rod hali fishing off Estavan last summer using the Orca's. The line grabbed the bottom and we were drifting in some big swells. I had the drag done up fairly tight and the downward torque on the end of the rod (which will put upward force on the butt end) started to open the Orca up. It opened about 3/4 of an inch, another 1/2 inch and the rod would pop out. I noticed it just in time and grabbed the rod before it went over.

i use the orcas as well love them for salmon and i realy liked them for haly but had the same prob wasnt paying attention had a haly hit and popped the back of the holder open i don't think the front will open but don't want to chance it

Hey guy's, don't the Orca's have a lock on them? Are they the new ones that open up, made by Scotty? I use these for salmon & halibut, allthough I did have a hell of a time getting that lock to slide off with a hali hammering the rod, just got to ready & watching I guess.

... Are fishermen all liars?
Or do only liars fish?

Was out just off west of Peddar Sunday and managed a nice 20lb hatchery in the first 5 minutes. Nothing for the rest of the day...

nice fish tailspin. Got out today from 10-2, fishing the trap by myself released a wild one in the high teens, then about 1 oclock double header, got one small within the slot limit. Never really got a good feel of the other...

mmcl

Has any one been fishing Sooke lately? I haven't seen any posts lately. I'm going out tomorrow at the crack of dawn to see if I can't get me some salmon. Looks like it's going to be great out there tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back