Sooke Reports - Spring/Summer 09

Lots of reports of coho around 20 lbs. Please post some pictures of these biggies.
I have had lots in the teens but nothing pushing 20lbs.

Sounds like awesome fish!

Tips

Fished the 500 ft mark off secretary today. 3 good hatch around 12 - 15lbs. Had to pick through a bunch to get them though. Noticed that a local guide had NO trouble with catching the hatch fish. He put three in a row in the boat (two on a double header) in about five minutes..... I'm amazed at how fast he could I.D. them as hatch fish cause they didn't spend any time in the water before they were in the net.... I'm no Sh#T causer, but... GOOD FOR YOU BUDDY! :( Woulda loved to see you at the dock but my boat is at sunny shores not sooke marina...

Yeah was out off Sececretary this morning and saw a couple of guys that can identify them like that also.I Must be missing something....we lost a nice one up beside the boat maybe 12 pounds or so couldn't see if he was clipped or not he was going mental, and got a clipped one about 6 lbs.Both at 35 feet 6 inch chrome and blue wonder spoon.Dan

quote:Originally posted by addicted

Fished the 500 ft mark off secretary today. 3 good hatch around 12 - 15lbs. Had to pick through a bunch to get them though. Noticed that a local guide had NO trouble with catching the hatch fish. He put three in a row in the boat (two on a double header) in about five minutes..... I'm amazed at how fast he could I.D. them as hatch fish cause they didn't spend any time in the water before they were in the net.... I'm no Sh#T causer, but... GOOD FOR YOU BUDDY! :( Woulda loved to see you at the dock but my boat is at sunny shores not sooke marina...

I did just about the same thing on Monday.... Including a hatch double header. Some people especially guides develop a good eye for things.

It can be a trick sometimes. Especially when the fish is rolling like crazy at the side of the boat. To speed the process up, I have and always wear a pair of Oakley Polarized fishing glasses. You can see right through the surface glare. I wear black iridium lenses, but in most cases the amber would be stellar for seeing that adipose fin.

quote:Originally posted by highlights

It can be a trick sometimes. Especially when the fish is rolling like crazy at the side of the boat. To speed the process up, I have and always wear a pair of Oakley Polarized fishing glasses. You can see right through the surface glare. I wear black iridium lenses, but in most cases the amber would be stellar for seeing that adipose fin.

I use the amber and have no problem. If the fish is laying on its side on the surface it becomes very difficult so I always try to figure it out before that point while its under the water... it pretty easy

Yeah, i have no problem identifying them, aslong as they are not making white water [:p]

Was out with my grandpa for lings and hali's today. Hit 10 big rock cod. Dad was trolling for Cohos hit 5 only one hatch about 8 pounds.

-Steve

Every fish is different, sometimes you get a glimpse with the fish a bit further behind the boat..just a split second..but enough to see the fin is there...so i know early and way before the flasher get to the rod tip that its plyers not the net. Sometimes you have to wait and wait to get the right look at the fish...on occasion I have to put the net under it, lift it out for a second to see for sure...then either turn the net inside out of pull it in. I only do this is it is a biggy and I think we may loose it before confirming either way.

My moto is "Better to loose a hatchery, then kill a wild" And i can understand some peoples eyesight is not as good as others. I think Profishers idea is a great one. Especialy if its a large one.

-Steve

Fished briefly Friday night...wow, got windy pretty fast, ugly seas off Secretary.

Saturday morning calmed down quite a bit, now sheet glass out there...beautiful and sunny.

Out in the deep water, caught a half dozen shakers, and 3 pin poppers. 2 long distance releases, one nice 15 pound hatchery released at the boat. Bleeding pretty good, unfortunately...5 days from now it's a keeper. :(

Hookups were deep at first, 100-110 feet. Then later on at 50 feet. All on hootchies.

quote:Originally posted by juandesooka

Fished briefly Friday night...wow, got windy pretty fast, ugly seas off Secretary.

Saturday morning calmed down quite a bit, now sheet glass out there...beautiful and sunny.

Out in the deep water, caught a half dozen shakers, and 3 pin poppers. 2 long distance releases, one nice 15 pound hatchery released at the boat. Bleeding pretty good, unfortunately...5 days from now it's a keeper. :(

Hookups were deep at first, 100-110 feet. Then later on at 50 feet. All on hootchies.

......you mean wild right?????

You can keep a hatch right now.

Using the net is ok if only form a brief second to determine if its legal or not...on the real big ones say 16 plus I will keep the fish in the water (in the net) get the hooks out, lift the fish out briefly in the net with my digital scale...now you know if its legal or not and the weight of fish and net together. If you weigh your net ahead of time you can subtract that out and in my case the customer knows the true weight before release. Before release I get the camera ready, someone else on the camera, I lift/cradle the fish up under the belly get a quick pic with the fishermen and let it go. This really helps take away some of the sting felt by some infrequent fishermen...as they get the weight and a pic to use when bragging later with their friends.

Back