Sooke Reports - Spring/Summer 09

Columbians don't come through the JDF Straight. Those are the fish you catch on the "highway" offshore along the VI West Coast. Port Renfrew would probably the most southern Canadian port to target the Columbians. Don't fall for the local term "Columbians" here on Southern VI which usually describes an early run of springs through the JDF Straight (April-June). Recent researches have shown those so called "Columbians" are actually Early Time (ET) Fraser springs which are largely depleted and the main stock of concern that triggered all those slot sizes and closures we have now in the spring.

Thats a pig hatch. Its pretty hard to say exactly where its from, when its going to hit the river or how big its going to get.It would be interesting if he got the info from the head back.I read of a 40lb hatch columbian already this year caught in the flow and have heard of columbians running on the inside of the straight although its prob not the norm.

Glad I snuck out from work this afternoon and gave it a try for a couple of hours. With the rumours of some large fish in and the wilds open now I put one rod shallow and wouldn't you know it - a 25 lbs was the reward! Man, over the winter you kinda forget how hard they can fight! Awesome battle! Anchovie and Wirl Bay. One more hit on the deep rod but that didn't stick.

Wow! If so than congrats to the lucky catcher! Would love to hear where this fish is from - maybe someone knows the catcher and if he turned the head in and hears back - could you please post here?

quote:Originally posted by chris73

Columbians don't come through the JDF Straight. Those are the fish you catch on the "highway" offshore along the VI West Coast. Port Renfrew would probably the most southern Canadian port to target the Columbians. Don't fall for the local term "Columbians" here on Southern VI which usually describes an early run of springs through the JDF Straight (April-June). Recent researches have shown those so called "Columbians" are actually Early Time (ET) Fraser springs which are largely depleted and the main stock of concern that triggered all those slot sizes and closures we have now in the spring.

Here's the route for Columbians... yep, they come in the Strait! :)
ColumbiaConnection.jpg

It sounds like a Columbian? But, a lot a people confuse Columbian and Fraser.

If it was short, stubby, and muscular = Columbian
If it was long, slender, and muscular = Fraser (I believe they have started clipping some? I know they clip sockeye.)
The Fraser's are a lot longer than the Columbian's!

The Columbians of Juan de Fuca are usually the biggest, some are 40 pounds, and with the occasional fish over 60. They actually start running the end of March, but start coming in very strong the month of May. June and the beginning of July is the best time however, these fish do run through the end of August.

They swim down the WCVI, in from the Pacific on the Canadian side of Juan de Fuca Strait then turn at the San Juan’s, crossing Hein Bank and exit the Washington State side for a run down to the Columbia River. Why? The Department of Fisheries and Oceans says it's anyone's guess, and as far as I'm concerned it doesn't matter. What matters is catching them.

The Columbians (which are not a myth) migrate along the British Columbian shore exactly the same way every year. These fish are huge and lumbering and use the tides to move from hole to hole, usually along the 80 foot contour line. They like the nooks and crannies that form back eddies within 50 yards of shore and this is where they rest over night. The crack of dawn (5:00 am) is the best, but there are plenty of these fish taken later and a surprising number are taken at 9:00 am tide changes and later in the afternoon, particularly high tides an hour before dinner. And, are surprisingly shallow. At dawn, they will be 20 feet deep and as the sun rises they descend, but will seldom be found deeper than 50 feet. They are also a solitary fish. They prefer a slow, slow action on the bait.

The Columbians run down the entire WCVI and are usually close to shore</u>, not off shore. The Fraser's are usually caught farther off shore.

These and the Conuma 4 year olds are my favorite fish and my main target. I know the habits of both quite well. :D

Where did you get this info? Averaging 40lbs? They all take the same route and dont go offshore? Kind of skeptical on some of this. There is short and stubby, long and slender from thousands of rivers.

I was going to say that Charlie was starting to sound a little too much like DC Reid. I was starting to think that there was some embellishments in Charlies post, prior to his last post that explains it all. LOL Mason

[www.savebcsalmon.ca]

UMMMMMM where does it matter where it came from ??? its fishing guys who really cares!!!!!!!!!!!!! it is a beutiful fish and very impressive and we should be giving it kudos instead of being all jealous!!!!!!He sent me a pic of it and MAN great fish
Thats like catching a fish of a life time!!!!!!!!

Wolf

Charlie; from talking to up-to-speed marine biologists I have heard that this once assumed Columbian Chinook migration route does actually not exist. Those fish were found to be Fraser springs and the Columbians travel offshore along the WCVI and were threrfore a major target of WCVI commercial fishing. Can't prove it myself - can only believe what I have heard but it makes sense to me. Since the Columbia River chinook run is expected to be good this year we would have the fishing of a lifetime right now if all those Columbians were to come by here...Sadly, it's not.

And only the very few wire tagged Canadian hatchery chinooks are clipped - including the Fraser fish. Therefore 95% of the time you catch a clipped chinook it would be an US fish...

well back to the topic of sooke reports
out today, late start out but we got the first of the year into the boat, about 18lbs hatchery, and one good sun burn[8D]

Awesome fish Cal. It is sure getting everyone pumped for the season. See you at the dock. Finished touching up the bottom paint, the boat is going in tomorrow. Can't wait! Fishing Monday.

Back