Sooke Reports - Spring and Summer 2012

Sad day out there for me today. I left Pedder Bay at 545am ran up to the head and put my gear in and trolled towards the trap . Something didn't seem rite then it hit me it's the end of May a time when in the past I would have past at least 50 boats on my way to beachy hd and I past no one and to the west of me there was one boat off the trap and one off the island . Thanks fisheries and oceans for looking after us so well!!!!

Fishing was alright , I hit one off the head at 90ft and had to let it go, then hit another off the trap reef at 85 ft another catch and release . Then heard there was a pod of whales coming from otter heading east so I pulled my gear and ran back to whirl where I hit my best fish of the day at 120 ft another release fish . Then headed home. Thais again dfo

Sad day out there for me today. I left Pedder Bay at 545am ran up to the head and put my gear in and trolled towards the trap . Something didn't seem rite then it hit me it's the end of May a time when in the past I would have past at least 50 boats on my way to beachy hd and I past no one and to the west of me there was one boat off the trap and one off the island . Thanks fisheries and oceans for looking after us so well!!!!

Fishing was alright , I hit one off the head at 90ft and had to let it go, then hit another off the trap reef at 85 ft another catch and release . Then heard there was a pod of whales coming from otter heading east so I pulled my gear and ran back to whirl where I hit my best fish of the day at 120 ft another release fish . Then headed home. Thais again dfo

Hey Trev, Just wonder what your customers think ?
are they ok with it ?

Hey Scott it was a day off so thought I'd just go do my once a year Sooke fish. If I had customers I would have gone to the bank where there almost all hatchery fish.

Trev,speaking of customers,would you offer them a discount for catch n release.. just putting it out there from a purely conservation perspective

Wish I could Sammy, but my costs are still my costs wether they let the fish go or not.

Guess I'm one of the lucky ones that's leavin in a week for the summer.

I think your going to find that most of the boats your looking for are going to be up there with you Trev. I will welcome any guests who want to catch and release this summer. You know the hot spots inside the restricted area are going to be vacant. We will have my favorite spots all to ourselves. The fish will be there but not the boats....I will enjoy that part of it!!!

Put in an 8 hour shift today, Whale show first thing , whales from Otter to Sheringham and all points in between. Water was good , fishing Slow. Good Day Driller. Lots of Bait fom Sheringham to Muir.

Poked around by my self with only one rod out. Started at secritary and possession point, trolled around for a bit, then trolled across the bluffs to the trailor park. Not a sniff.....Not a hit! Couldnt even catch any seaweed! But I did spend more time playing around with the plotter/sounder than watching my rod... :rolleyes:
I started shallow at possession point and secretary, then stayed on the bottom for the rest of my day. Fished from 1-4:30pm
purple hoochie.

O yea, Like someone on here had mentioned a couple days ago, Finally got some keeper male crabs in the trap in the sooke basin on the way back in.

Last edited by a moderator:
We were out from 930-130. We fished Otter, Muir Creek and Sheringham .....nothing. Hope it picks up soon.

Cloud

Out again from 3-7, fished Secretary, 5 fish, Bait from 70-110 ft. off the Rigger. mix of hatchery and wilds, water was flatter than %^&* on a Platter, Good Night Driller

Out Thursday evening off trailer courts/Otter. One hit, otherwise quiet. Little bait. Out Friday off Secretary. Lots of bait early but no keepers. Eventually beaten back by wind.

we were out from 8-11 this am. We started at Church then did a couple of tacks in Whirl bay--nothing--so we
went over to the west side of Becher bay--one hit and that was it. Heard of 2 fish taken at 45 feet in the water
column, so maybe they're starting to move up a bit.
T2

Couple for us today first off the bluffs 85ft same as last time, the other one was taken by a seal at possession but managed to get my gear back. Windy and rough w fast moving tides.

Better than garden work I guess.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not a great day out there. Fished the Head 0700-1330, not a whiff. Lots of wind and no fish. Marked some bait, but, whats up??

I think this is the calm before the storm.
Get that gear ready,for unless I miss my guess, It's going to be gangbusters in a couple of weeks

Saturday am was lumpy, but ran west got 1 small really small hali and trolled at the light and pickup up 1 nice spring. Otter Point was dead. The first saturday in June less than 10 boats of Sooke. Thanks DFO

SAD isnt it!!!! kinda scary too hardly any boats in the marina......And worst part Sooke and its council doesnt seem to mind as its all about construction go ahead and build vacation rentals but if there is no tourists whos going to fill them????? I said this to them 2 years ago when I had to go infront of the chambers. and then in private meetings sorry to say to no avail.... sad really sad I see it going the way of the old mill that USED to be here its heading down the same path. unless they the ones with political power step up.

As for fishing was able to get 1 out of three to keep a nice 18lber white????? which river is he from???? and a hatchery COHO WTH???? yes thats what I wrote a coho LOL LOL making a run for fishflys coho stats now....LOL LOL.

Get out there and enjoy it boys wont be long when we wont be able too.....

good luck Wolf

Was out from 9am -1pm, had two nice strikes, no fish to the boat, lots of bait on the sounder, both hits at 90feet on chovies, got really lumpy out around 11 and hid behind secretary. Finally getting some action, hopfully next time the hooks will stick!!!

Thanks for a great day yesterday, tigerprawn. First slab of the season - just shy of 24 lbs. But very sad to see the empty sea on a saturday off Sooke. I think we are seeing the end of the Sooke sportfishery. Look at Brentwood Bay, Cowichan Bay and other formerly hustling and booming sportfishing centers - that's going to be Sooke soon. Very sad!

23.5 lbs.jpg

Doom & Glooms brutal on this site.:eek:

Was busy out there today! saw some nice fish hit the deck too! Yesterday was better fishing but really blowing I think most stayed home due to weather. 14.8 hatch was all we could keep but it was nice to be out.

Back