Sooke Reports - Spring and Summer 2012

I have just bought the new Scotty H.P.'s with braided line, I have the Scotty retieval pieces and looks like they score pretty badly as well. Do you guys run these ?

Do you have the tag lines too tight?

Anyone tried west of Sherringham lately. No slots but are there any fish?

Fished the trailer park 10:30- 1:30my hubby got two, released first, hatchery - met the slot,but a bit small. waited until almost 1:30 to get the One, 8 pounder, a real knuckle wrapper, fresh and very healthy wild one just under 67 cms. Both at 150 ft, purple onion flasher and pink and white hootchie. It was getting bumpy out there so we called it a day. Only one female in the three traps around the sooke harbour. what's up with the crabbing? It was great to finally get back on the water...............too long~!

Fished Otter from 10 to 1.30, one hit wonder , caught and released a Wild over 20Lbs, pearl krippled head with a red glow Flasher 90ft. off the Rigger, at the height of the flood almost stationary right at the Point,east wind came up and was bumpy on the way home ... Good Day Driller

Fished Otter on sunday - great porpoise show for a few hours around noon - pretty cool. Had 4 bites , kept two wild in the slot, and had one spit the hook right at the boat that looked quite a bit better.

Off trailer court today for about 4 hours. 1 street legal wild into boat. Couple hits but did not take lure. Pretty windy.

Hi, New to the forum, this is my first post so i will start by saying HI....I just bought a boat recently (trophy 1802) and have taken it out the last two nights, havent had any luck, first night i was out by secretary for a few hours and last night was up by Otter Point. Both nights out i was basically the only boat out there, and didnt see much bait on the sounder. Hopfully things will start to heat up soon!!!

Troll around 2.2 mph,glow green flasher, chovie or glow green hoochies in 140 to 180 ft water. Quite good down by trailer court this side of Otter. Tends to have a good back eddy there. Next month try fishing diagonally possession to Secretary. Lots of bait should be showing. The race off Secretary can be really hit, especially in the evening.

Thanks for the tips, il definetly try those depths out next time i head out! Was fishing 90-120 with chivie, green glow flasher one side, and glow hootchie on the other, wasnt out for long, just making sure everythings working on the boat!

How deepmis the water your fishing in if your down 140-180?

Off Sooke I start at 140 feet in the winter and try to keep the lure within 10 feet of bottom. At this time and when bigger fish move through it gets trickier. Start @ 55 feet. Lots of bait move higher. If no luck go gown. Try 10 foot increments. My son hooked a 21.5 lb coho at 120 feet deep, in 400 feet of water a few yrs back. It makes no sense.

Aye' such a fiesty fish they is. I remember the days mooching for Coho off Salmon Rock in the Gap off Gibsons back in the 70's. 1-oz weight and a live herring; reels smokin'... sun shining... beers flowin'.

Those were the days for me. Looking forward to my introduction to the Ho' fishery over here.

Off Sooke I start at 140 feet in the winter and try to keep the lure within 10 feet of bottom. At this time and when bigger fish move through it gets trickier. Start @ 55 feet. Lots of bait move higher. If no luck go gown. Try 10 foot increments. My son hooked a 21.5 lb coho at 120 feet deep, in 400 feet of water a few yrs back. It makes no sense.

Yep Coho do go deeper now. As High Five said, the year before last (2010) the fish were a lot bigger than 2011. We had a 13lb coho at 180 feet on the rigger. I remember the date - 6th October as we got an 11lb chinook at the same depth within a few minutes. Mixed shoals???

Yep Coho do go deeper now. As High Five said, the year before last (2010) the fish were a lot bigger than 2011. We had a 13lb coho at 180 feet on the rigger. I remember the date - 6th October as we got an 11lb chinook at the same depth within a few minutes. Mixed shoals???

2010 was a great Sooke Coho year. There were a lot that went well over 17lb's and I have some pictures on my cell phone.

There out there boys. And for me there have been over a dozen wild over the slot released now. 4 in the low to mid 20's.

Been pretty consistent bite on the changes.

Just gotta search for the pockets of fish and be on them when it counts.

-Steve

???? That blows away my theory that coho can only swim between 30-35ft.....

Most of the Coho I catch incidentally off Qualicum are down about 90ft.

When I was a diver years back I would often see them about 45ft around Mistaken island.

Since then we've gotten them 15lbs.+ at 180 to 200ft while trolling for salmon as well.

They could be any depth at a given time, although generally,very generally, they are up shallower.

Coho roam around a lot looking for baitfish and food and they don't mind intermingling with Chinooks.

Small Coho seem to frequent surface depths a lot.....but the bigger ones often go deeper.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cant wait for that slot limit to lift. Had a few big hitters, release 1 wild over 15lb. But landed a nice wild king just inside the limit, thick as a fist in the mid-section. Outside Pedder Bay near Race in bout 60ft while drifting, she had a belly full of squid, full like a kielbasa. Pretty quiet just the way I like it.

???? That blows away my theory that coho can only swim between 30-35ft.....
i hit one last year off the head at 240 on the rigger....seen a big bait ball on the sounder at about 200 ft and dropped it down and whamo! it popped off the clip, thought it was a small spring, but it wasnt. got it to the boat and ended up releasing a 6-7lbs coho..deepest coho i have ever caught.. The last couple years ive noticed they have been running alot deeper average depth of 120-180. Im sure other guys have noticed this too........

Back