Sooke Reports - Spring and Summer 2011

good day today12lb at the trap and an 8lb at the head both on anchovie gold betsy green glow head 133ft down currents sure were rippin today

AMAZING Day today! Salmon fishing on crack is how im going to refer to it. fishing one rod. 5 to the boat in an hour and 45 mins. one hatchery in the box 10 pounds and 4 wilds released all between 12-18 pounds. Coyote spoon 160 ft on the rigger trap shack!

YUM Fresh fish !!!!

-Steve

AMAZING Day today! Salmon fishing on crack is how im going to refer to it. fishing one rod. 5 to the boat in an hour and 45 mins. one hatchery in the box 10 pounds and 4 wilds released all between 12-18 pounds. Coyote spoon 160 ft on the rigger trap shack!

YUM Fresh fish !!!!

-Steve

Noticed the same in there yesterday same spoon 90ft.... rough

IMG_0706.jpg

YUM Fresh fish !!!!

-Steve
Warning guys that sort of stuff can be addicting.Thanx for the heads up guys, me soon come mon!

The Downrigger thieves are at it again. Just got a call from Rick, that his got sawed off last night at Cheanuh, they even took the time to saw off the swivel base locks. Not sure who else got hit yet.

Keep an eye out as It may be one of the other Marina next again.

I've heard through the grapevine..... that its a crackhead from Sooke.... heard that he likes to go out at night in a row boat and do his deed. Time to gaff him, I'd say!

With the success of the Bait car against car theft in Victoria, I'm sure the police could figure out a way to catch these people.
Leave one boat with the downriggers on it, hide in a boat 3 down from it and wait. Doesn't sound like it would take long to catch them.

Hey Guys and Gals,

I am new to the site and have spent the past couple of days reading all I can about Hali fishing and the trials and tribulations of noobies poaching. It is disrespectful to say the least and I really like the idea of the wall of shame. As stated several times above, all of us new to hali fishing appreciate any tips we can get and really are thankful with any info shared.

I had a couple of questions hopefully you guys can answer for me. Drifting for spots out here in the Sidney area is the way to locate the best area's, I take it? Also what do I use for anchoring if I am fortunate enough to locate a good spot? I have a 16ft double eagle and was curious if its worth risking using the downrigger to anchor, as storage space is becoming an issue with all my other gear.
On my maps it shows the area's with an "S" for sand and was wondering if I should start in those spots, or is there a more productive location method? A few posts back one gentleman mentioned go out into the depths and locate spots that are only 150 to 200 ft deep, but the water I have been in around the sidney area is pretty shallow compared to that, and the bottom seems to be pretty flat in most area's.

Any simple starting out steps would be much appreciated.

Thanks again and best of luck this weekend, the weather is supposed to be great!

Hey Guys and Gals,
I have a 16ft double eagle and was curious if its worth risking using the downrigger to anchor, as storage space is becoming an issue with all my other gear.

I'll second that! Do not attempt to anchor using your downrigger! That's a very bad idea. If you are serious about halibut fishing then you'll have to spend the bucks to get a proper anchoring set-up. The guys are Trotac can show you what you need. It's important to know how to use it first though. Keep in mind that lots of guys catch halibut without anchoring.

Last edited by a moderator:
PLEASE PLEASE don't use your downriggers to anchor your are just asking for trouble. Like Craven said the current WILL rip them right off your boat if the cable holds tight and you don't need that I'm sure. Never ever anchor with anything other then a proper anchor set-up, and only with a safety set-up that runs to your bow eye. If any thing goes wrong you can cut away safety and go retrieve your anchor later. If your not going to do it that way just drift.

You can catch halibut in shallow water too over the years i've caught at least a doz. buts in 70'-90' all of them trolling too boot.Whole herring,lrg.hoochies & spoons work great.
Ask some of the older Sidney angler's members i'm sure they would offer advice. Maybe try Powder Warf(James Is.) ,Darcy Island hold halibut.Rock Piles & points of land with gravel & sand close by all hold halis.If there's bait fish present the halis won't be to far away when the dinner bell sounds.

Nice day out there. Managed a 66lber hali and a 12 lb hatch spring. Lots of boats everywhere, even a container ship anchored on conny today! He must of read the reports... Bumped into a forum member at the dock that did very well too. Nice rig you got there!

Thanks for the warnings, it seemed a little risky not using the proper set up. I will go get geared on Monday but I dont think I will use the pick till I learn alot more.

Caught a few little springs off of the powder warf today but they were only in the 5 to 6 pound range and all wilds. They seemed to be liking the purple haze 10 feet off bottom in 110 ft of water. The tides were ripping today but once that calms down I will try my hand at drift fishing some Hali. Thanks again all ;)

Fished bluffs to trailer park yesterday lost one got a 6 and 10 Lb hatch to the boat beautiful day glass calm till 1 then blew up a bit. One on uv squirt that we lost and other two on betsie chovie

Back