Sooke Reports - Spring and Summer 2011

Tubber you nailed it . This one guy sets up so close i could talk to him in a loud voice and day after day he watches me catch fish and i have yet to see him get one ,but yet he's rite there the next day, Maybe fishing is a spectator sport! hehehehe

Ya haliHunter i know you know the feeling. Sucks but i guess all good things must come to an end.

Once i find my new hole i'll post the #'s of the old spot so those losers won't have it all to themselves.

I agree with you, Bananas. I sucks......... i've always wished for that Romulan cloaking device when Hali fshing

Hey Bannana's When I got back to the Dock I was in the middle of a conversation with a friend and a guy comes up to me and goes is this you boat? And I was like yes and he goes " I know who im going to look for out there next time I go for Hali" ......Really? Is this really what its coming down to? I mean come find me if you want but I am going to be honest Its not always about location. Its everything you know combines into being sucessfull. My grandfather has a spot he gets 1 or 2 almost everytime but ive fished it 6-7 times and never had a hit. So good luck to all who want to catch my Halis!

-STeve
YOUR Halis?

I can remember 20 years ago when, Bob Weeks, Terry Cirrelli, Benny Smith and myself were about the only ones really fishing Halibut out of Pedder Bay. We would sometimes have people waiting in thier boats well before daylight to follow us out. It is really a **** off after a guy spends so much time and money, finding the spots, to have some butt come and anchor on top of you. So it sounds like nothing has changed in that area.

Sounds like its time for the Anchoring Hall of shame to start up again ! http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum...halibut-fishing!!!!&highlight=anchoring+shame
If they anchor up to close, start snapping pictures and post them on this link so every one can see who the idiots are out there !!

here's a couple classics from previous years..
page 8 http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum...t-fishing!!!!/page8&highlight=anchoring+shame

page 14 http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum...-fishing!!!!/page14&highlight=anchoring+shame

Last edited by a moderator:
I know what you mean Bananas, I've talked to Benny about his problems with the group of boats following him out in the old days. Also heard about the whoas from Sea Ghost as well. Benny gave me some spots that I'm gratefull to have but have not been to them as there seems to be boats around the spot but never right on it. So I just motor past and look for new places. I've been taught the old way of drifting to find the right spots before anchoring on them, but it seems like the fisherman these days are to lazy to do so and just anchor up thinking its good but really are just hoping it is. Found a nice spot last year on the drift and had a big sucker on only to lose it, but marked the spot and came back to get one off the bat. Went out with a good friend and anchored up and were there for 1 hour and had our limit. Once again it was a spot no one goes or knows about. God I love drift fishing! Guess I've spent to much time up North.

I've been halibut fishing a few years in other people's boats, to their known spots, but I'm fairly new to halibut fishing in my own boat, having to find my own spots. I have a sense of the "hali newbie psychology" that happens here ... you have maybe 1 or 2 spots that you know, but they have someone on them. You could try to find a new spot, but not really knowing what to look for, you figure you'll be wasting your time. You may have tried this a half dozen times and come home empty handed and frustrated. So ... you anchor up on the spot you know, even if someone there. And through not thinking through the scope and current, you end up right on top of them. Bad decision, and now too late! [NOT saying this has ever happened to me! But I suspect this is what goes on with these hall of shame folks]

Here's a suggestion for positive change ... Poseidon and Bananas, you both give some hints about how you go about finding new spots. Throw a bone to the halibut newbies -- and by doing so, empower them to go search out their own spots effectively. Meaning help them to search for new spots on their own with some confidence that they are on the right track and not just wasting their time. Because if they figure they have no hope, then that's when they'll start ghosting you ... figuring it is better to be an a***ole that comes home with fish, then have the wife figure you're a hopeless goof! (and then the gas and boat money fund starts to get questioned....that I have seen first hand...doh!)

I started a new thread for "Finding new halibut spots", with some suggestions for tips that might help.

If you give some tips, then you can feel confident you tried to be nice and did what you could -- before you get out the slingshot or start hucking 2lb balls. ;-)

Two cents for the pile...

Last edited by a moderator:
There have been over 8500 views each of Sooke, Victoria spring summer reports to date. You guys who brag and post with pictures of halibut and salmon did you think nobody would notice. It's simple --if you do not like fishing in crowds do not post.

Well said Juandesooka, I am a totally newby to fishing for hali and will need all the help I can get. I would NOT shadow a guy to find his "special spot", but I would appreciate a little help like Juandesooka said on how to find my own "special spot". Thanks to all the guides and veteran fisherman for all your advice and help on this site, it does help. Just my two bits.

Hattrick: I don't agree. This is a forum to share fishing stories. Talking about what you caught helps to get everyone excited about fishing and gives a little info on where to start ... enjoying fishing is the whole point of this forum. But just because you say fishing has been good, doesn't mean people should expect to sit in your lap! There's a fine line and some people have no common sense about where that is.

Jackel: funny story.

Its par for the corse down here in Victoria. You cant really hide hali fishing and it definitely sucks for charter boys. The suggestion of the "Pros" teaching the "Joes" sounds good but again not going to correct the problem as there are always lazy fisherman that will take the easy route if they have the choice. The best way is to hire one of these charter guys for the day asking for there expertise and getting hands on instruction. They have spent there life perfecting these skills and it is a small price to pay to get a fraction of their vast knowledge. Help support there business and give one of them a call instead of corking them or looking for free info on here.

I am an avid fishermen and travel all over to fish. Ive paid over a dozen guides on the island to take me fishing and show me some spots to try. Non of them have ever had a problem with me paying them for some info. Most of them acctually enjoy having people on there boat that know how to fish. It makes there job alot easier!

Back to fishing reports, Fished out west today, Not even a bite, blew up at about 10am and ended up at the trapshack for a couple hours with nothing to show for it.

Cant catch them everyday!

-Steve

Hali fishing was pretty good today to the west went a little further then the others picked up 3 all chickens before the easterlies picked up

for looking for hally spots I have 50 at lest and will never fish them all in 5 years .look at a map ,look for deep water around 1mile or less around then look for hills 140 feet to 260 feet .thats it .It all about sick and stay some time you need to scent for awhile knot in o current, you need some current. there is hundred of spots out there.When pitching the ancor don;t bee in front of someone you are just scenting for them.For beginers try zero rock the bank, border bank ,french beach,and west, and willyam head. Stay away for racerocks and oakbay there are to tricky for beginners.Fish with oilly bait mack,salmon,herrie, octo, and my fav, hally skins, a small piece goes a long way. good luck boomer

Not many secrets anymore!

Out yesterday, colder than ****, blowin and a skunk for us. Addicted got a taste of the Race on a short window, ball 40 feet under...No boats around us though, lol. Seaghost and I both fish so deep that no one can get behind us, otherwise its a dogpile. Amazing how much gear you can collect in your anchor line from the knob who drops in front of you though. Only going to get worse with this slot limit.

As far as posting pics on here, **** off! Many of us have been on this site for ages. If you don`t want to see a picture or two and consider it bragging, think what you want! I enjoy the pics from others, and hope I supply the same.

Not many secrets anymore!

Out yesterday, colder than ****, blowin and a skunk for us. Addicted got a taste of the Race on a short window, ball 40 feet under...No boats around us though, lol. Seaghost and I both fish so deep that no one can get behind us, otherwise its a dogpile. Amazing how much gear you can collect in your anchor line from the knob who drops in front of you though. Only going to get worse with this slot limit.

As far as posting pics on here, **** off! Many of us have been on this site for ages. If you don`t want to see a picture or two and consider it bragging, think what you want! I enjoy the pics from others, and hope I supply the same.

I need the photo's, it's how I get through these lousy Hellberta Winters!
Keep em coming guy's.

X3, the pics keep me dreaming and motivated to get the heck out there and get some of my own.

Great morning fishing for Halibut Renfrew Style. Picked a spot in 70 ft of water out of the wind and limited in an hour. This sh-t weather can f--- off any time. Wanted to head west to find some salmon, but again wind...

hey hourston you're on the wrong page HaHa,you should of man'd up and fished in that 30 knot **** ,holy cow hit 4 at point no point kicker in full reverse against the wind ,3rd fish comes up and gets the notion to head for underneath the boat ,bang all over but the crying,oh well thats fishing in the ****,trolled from sherringham halfway back too Otter,there was a 17fter i had seen go past me earlier in the morning couldn't get hold of him on the radio,i wanted to see if he was ok ,one hr later he went by and that was my Q to head in as well we picked up 2 springs both hatch jobs 8 and 10 lbs,all and all not a bad day considering

Good job buddy for the fish and for sticking it out in the slop. Going to Wardo's tonight?

Back