Sooke Reports - Spring and Summer 2011

Steady action today from aldridge up to Obrian on the ebband back with the flood, gear at 90-145 feet, hootchies and spoons outfished the bait today. smallest hatch we bonked was 10.4lbs largest was 19.2, released a nice wild well into the 20s. Quite a few 4- 5 lbers all hatch released. Flat Calm bute of a day! :cool:

Nice Tailspin! Tubbed out and I were just at Aldridge on Saturday with no real luck. Good to know that things are picking up a little and I will just have to refine where I fish according to currents and tides. We fished all the way into the trough and found more bait in there than anywhere else. I did however pick up a 9 lber in Whirl Bay and Tubbed out picked up one perfect for the bar-b. Anyone know a good place to find diagrams of current flows in our area?

Google up a program called Tideview 2050, it's free electronic murray's tables.

http://www.fishingvancouverisland.org/archive/tideview.zip

Bigmeal

thanks for the politicaly correct way to describe that fish

it was small but its been a while ...but it sure tasted good

thanks buddy

Out today. 5 Halis to the boat 3 around 20 released a 30 and 15 in the box for the dinner table! Now thats a little bit steadier action! 2 on makrel and 3 on salmon.

-Steve

Did Salmon and haly today .Salmon was nonstop for the 2 hours we fished all 10-12 hatch jobs and lots of them. Unfortunately i'm done posting on haly in the last week i've caught people on my boat looking through my gps, had one phone call a guy we all know wasn't getting any fish and asked if i'd show him where i was fishing as he had a buddy who was dieing of cancer andhe wanted to get him a fish he said he would only come the one time as he knew it's my living, guess what he's been there almost every day since f@##er ,i wish he didn't give me the sob story i would've had more respect for the guy if he didn't say anything, then there's another guy we all know came by marked my spot and been fishing 100ft away from me every day. Now i know it's a free ocean but i work hard at finding spots away from anybody else and let the sheeppeople have the popular spots ,ie border ,cony ,and all the rest. I hate fishing with a group of boats. Come on people there are halibut everywhere not just under my boat! Guess i'll have to go find another spot to myself,and as far as reports if anybody wants to checkin look up my fish reports on my site i try to update it every other day. Now time for double crown and coke.

Beat him, I'd be using him for Hali bait. He could see in person exactly where the fish are.

That freaking sucks man!

Did Salmon and haly today .Salmon was nonstop for the 2 hours we fished all 10-12 hatch jobs and lots of them. Unfortunately i'm done posting on haly in the last week i've caught people on my boat looking through my gps, had one phone call a guy we all know wasn't getting any fish and asked if i'd show him where i was fishing as he had a buddy who was dieing of cancer andhe wanted to get him a fish he said he would only come the one time as he knew it's my living, guess what he's been there almost every day since f@##er ,i wish he didn't give me the sob story i would've had more respect for the guy if he didn't say anything, then there's another guy we all know came by marked my spot and been fishing 100ft away from me every day. Now i know it's a free ocean but i work hard at finding spots away from anybody else and let the sheeppeople have the popular spots ,ie border ,cony ,and all the rest. I hate fishing with a group of boats. Come on people there are halibut everywhere not just under my boat! Guess i'll have to go find another spot to myself,and as far as reports if anybody wants to checkin look up my fish reports on my site i try to update it every other day. Now time for double crown and coke.

I'll bring Baileys....

I know the feeling bananas i have had plenty of people slow down to mark my spots then camp on them after that.Gets frustrating when you do all the homework to find your spots just so some cakeeater can take it.

Fight fire with fire. People use technology to fish spots you have found. Use technology to post false reports and photoshopped pics with your falsified gps in the background. Anchor up in other places to have a pop and filet your catch then get on the radio to brag about how hot it is where you are. Then see who comes to fish there. Post your skunks when you limit and vice-versa. You'll be the boy who cried wolf to all but your inner circle of trusted partners. After a while the lazy losers will follow someone else. Post names and pictures of people and boats that follow you. There's nothing like a public shaming on Facebook or some other forum.

Or take the high road and keep catching. Everyone knows the 10%/90% story. A famous guide on here generously giftwrapped a spot for me last summer and we still managed to have a cluster%^& with the harpoon and a nice one swam back to the bottom. Just because they follow, does not mean they will catch as much.

Tubber you nailed it . This one guy sets up so close i could talk to him in a loud voice and day after day he watches me catch fish and i have yet to see him get one ,but yet he's rite there the next day, Maybe fishing is a spectator sport! hehehehe

Ya haliHunter i know you know the feeling. Sucks but i guess all good things must come to an end.

Once i find my new hole i'll post the #'s of the old spot so those losers won't have it all to themselves.

Last edited by a moderator:
Been there and tried that

I have fished from Vic to Race Rocks. I started with "just showing up", and I you know I caught a lot of good fish. I studied tides. followed the forums., talked to the sports shops, tried new ideas online and I think we are catching less fish now , then we were 4 years ago. I have asked skill locals for gps sites and got the cold shoulder. I have done my time and spent my money. Don't get me wrong., I love the time on the water with friends and the sport is in my blood, but I can understand new peoples frustrations. There is a lot of fish in the ocean and sharing skills, locations and technical skills are part of the sport and brotherhood. WE respond to each other on the water, share stories on the shore and are proud of our accomplishments. Fishermen/and women ( to be correct now days) are the greatest people I know. I'm glad to be one, even if I don't catch most of the fish.

Cheers

Ron from Vic

I fished JR on Tue for halis and didn't even get a hit. It probably had something to do with the long liner fishing the JR river front.

Fished JR yesterday and no sign of the long liner or his sets, Fished for three hours got a chicekn and a 47lb. Herring was working best.

Hey Bannana's When I got back to the Dock I was in the middle of a conversation with a friend and a guy comes up to me and goes is this you boat? And I was like yes and he goes " I know who im going to look for out there next time I go for Hali" ......Really? Is this really what its coming down to? I mean come find me if you want but I am going to be honest Its not always about location. Its everything you know combines into being sucessfull. My grandfather has a spot he gets 1 or 2 almost everytime but ive fished it 6-7 times and never had a hit. So good luck to all who want to catch my Halis!

-STeve

Back