Sooke Report -- 2008 season

Heard of a 31 today early off the head, pretty scrathcy, very few guys out. Hali are decent, did that for the morning and then fished Church and the Bedfords, zilch on the screen, seals all over the place at the Bedfords? Big rollers started coming in from the west when i left around 3pm. 6 meter stackers tonight with Storm Force NW

Junuary?

Lovely summer weather...

fearnofishy-1-1.jpg

Not summer until June 21st LOL

What ever happened to global warming?
Tuna off Secretary's?;)

cheers

gonefishingsign.gif

it is nasty out there....just came back from Cheanuh and I have never seen it so rough...one boat ripped the planks off the deck and the rest of the boats are bouncing around really good, and the docks are taking a s%#t kicking, you need some good sea legs for walking the docks

you beat me to it SJ! Cheanuh is a mess, I just got back from there and my boat ripped from its front mooring off the dock right in front of me.

you could barely walk on the docks they're moving so much, I'd check your boats boys!

Thanks for the heads up PoppaSwiss. I went out this am before work and my boat is fine. I also had a look around and all docks and boats were in place. I saw the big pike pole out on the dock so obviously it was getting used yesterday. Nobody's boat looked unmoored as of this morning tho.

quote:Sure was an erie calm out there! there was a light SE and then all was flat glass calm and then SW rollers with glass water on top started crashing on Church out of nowhere within minutes
Tailspin--That sudden storm like yesterday is what I keep telling people about who say it's safe to fish swiftsure in an 18 ft boat. If the storm is local enough to get missed by the forecast you 're f*&^&ed if you're out that far. It only happens once in a blue moon but once would be enough...
T2

"That sudden storm like yesterday is what I keep telling people about who say it's safe to fish swiftsure in an 18 ft boat. If the storm is local enough to get missed by the forecast you 're f*&^&ed if you're out that far. It only happens once in a blue moon but once would be enough..."

I guess...although as a weather-obsessed surfer, a swell and storm like that is pretty predictable ... as shown by the crowds on the beach when the models and forecasts show a good wave call!

Point taken though, you need to be extra careful about weather when out there...and if it looks to be turning, then time to go.

Over the years! I have been caught off shore several times. With the weather forecast... good!

And yep, I have been out there in a 17'er! Got caught coming in... nope I will never do that again... PERIOD! I start getting nervous about 5 miles off the beach, with that size of boat!

Yep, been out there in a 20'er! Got caught coming in... would have to think twice about doing it again! Guess what, I start getting nervous about 5 miles off the beach with this size of boat, with a kicker! It takes a long time to cover 5 miles when the main engine won't start and you come in on your kicker against an outgoing tide!

Yep, been out there in a 27'er I/O brand new, with kicker! And, can honestly say being towed 29 nautical miles by a sail boat traveling 4 knots is not a fun thaught! Thankfully, a friend came to my rescue!

No more trips off shore without twins! [:0]

Yep, was out there yesterday and got caught coming in... with my wife... she thought it was "a little choppy" in our 30' Boston Whaler! And, I was sitting there saying where did this s**t come from! This was NOT small craft warnings! Coming in the marina my wife tries to hand me her cell phone to get directions to our slip and I tell her to, "Just write the slip number down... I have my hands full right at the moment!" I was suddenly fighting 4/6 foot wind waves and 40/45 knot cross winds. It was a little interesting docking with white caps in the marina! :) But you know even in this boat, I still get nervous when I am 15/20 miles off shore even in a boat designed for it! I quess it's because I have been caught and beat up so much!

I have been running up and down the West Coast just shy of 20 years! And, in nut shell... there is NO WAY I would go out that far in less than a 21/22', but seriously wouldn't feel comfortable without twins and I don't mean a kicker. The buddy system is a very good thing to have in any size boat. It happens more than "once in a blue moon"! And I wouldn't take a 18/20 foot boat out there in any weather! It's just asking for trouble.

Just my 2 cents!
Charlie

quote:Originally posted by juandesooka

"That sudden storm like yesterday is what I keep telling people about who say it's safe to fish swiftsure in an 18 ft boat. If the storm is local enough to get missed by the forecast you 're f*&^&ed if you're out that far. It only happens once in a blue moon but once would be enough..."

Fished from 8:00am to 12:30pm today Bedfords, Church
Beechey and then ended up at Pedder without a single strike
Pretty depressing :(

fearnofishy-1-1.jpg

Oh ya it's going to be a drinking derby not a fishing derby.But there will be a winner and it only takes one to win.

come on trev , will u actually weigh in a 5lber, lol
good luck to all entered, i am not lucky enough to have tickets and will stay clear of the k'os this wkend, i think i will try prawing

Hey Gypseas, long time no fish with, did you ever manage to land a halibut in that school bus of yours or are you still sporting a white stripe down your back?

SLD[8D]

Hey gypseas, long time no fish, have you landed a halibut in that school bus of yours yet or are you still sporting the white stripe down your back?

SLD[8D]

finally got a day off work where the wind wasnt gale force, got out for a hour this morning, landed a 22lber , took off as the wind was picking up and wasnt much fun by myself, only 2 others fishing between secretary and possesion when i was there

Back