Sooke Report -- 2008 season

Hello Canadian Friends! This is my first post, I am in Wenatchee, WA and fish the Sooke area 2 or 3 times a year. Since salmon is slow so far in Sooke area does anybody know of a better spot to try for the long weekend coming up?

Pike place farmers market!!!!!here there some nice springs there.

Out on Monday. Skunkville
2.gif

Got boarded by RCMP and checked for safety equipment. First time for me, guys were ok to deal with, proffesional. And oh boy I want a boat like they have LOL

cheers

Hey Gypseas,was it just safety equipment they were checking?Did they want to see the operators card,boat license,vhf operators card,boat compliance check,etc,etc,etc?
Damn its getting hard to keep up with these laws!

Safety equipment, fire ext., flares/exp. dates, life jackets etc.
They asked for boat licence and were nice enough not to ding me when I couldn't produce it. $280 worth auch!!
Is there a requirement for op card yet? vhf op?

cheers

Out on Monday with Island Idoits. Trolled from Sheringham Point to the trap had one strike. R.C.M.P pulled me over wanted to see fishing licence, checked for barbs, safety equipment check and wanted to see boat registration licence.what a kick a## zode, dual 240 Verodos. The boys in blue came all the way down from Bamfield and checked every boat as far east as Sooke bluffs.

quote:Originally posted by Gypseas

Transport Canada Pleasure Craft Licence
You know ...number on the side of the boat
cheers
quote:Originally posted by Tsquared

boat licence?
T2

Heard its no longer law to post it on the side of a boat,, true or false /???

Try this link for boat licence info. http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/en/sc/boats/pcl.shtml

Here is a link for Mandatory gear on Canadian boats
http://www.tc.gc.ca/marinesafety/debs/obs/equipment/menu.htm

If you have a VHF fitted you are supposed to have a licence. If you don't and you get boarded tell them you only listen to it and only have it for emergencies.

The RCMP are using the West Coast (bamfield to Sidney) as a national marine training area leading up to the Olympics, expect a lot more patrols and hassles.

Tides start on the incoming flood on thursday the 30 of may bet some springs show up next weekend ill be out there for sure.
lets see who posts the first spring of THIS year.

Good luck Wolf

what do you mean by tides starting may 30th?

like two distinct highs and lows?

i notice right now there is really only one flood ebb per day - the other tide is really minimal...

i'm giving her a shot this weekend regardless! :)

cheers

likwit

Tides run in cycles with the moon. There is usually 1 hi and low every day but you'll notice that the tide height changes daily.

i understand the concept of tides.

i was wondering why wolf said "tides start on the incoming flood on may 30th"

cheers

I think he's referring to the end of those long ebb tides
towards the end of next week.
Floods should push more bait in closer to shore

Starting on the 30 th you have 5 current changes in a day (24HR) not like tues or wed of next week where there is not a major flood untill 10 at night when you get long slow ebbs it makes for crap salmon fishing you want strong incoming floods to bring bait in just like RS said which inturn brings in big springs.

wolf

How about the unconfirmed 37 at the trap as reported by Westshore? Anything to that one, or did some guy overhear about the 27 and misheard?

Fished Sheringham, Otter and the Trap on Friday and Saturday and came up with zero. Saw one fish caught at Otter (about 22lbs) and that was it. Very few boats out.

Back