Sooke Lake Fishing

S

steelrainbow

I'm planning a camping and fishing trip on the May Long Weekend to Sooke (Vancouver Island) and hoping to do some belly boat lake fly fishing for some trout and cutthroat. I've heard that there are some lakes in the area that hold Smallmouth and Largemouth Bass (which I've never fished before) and I'm hoping to try my luck on hooking a Bass or two. I'd sure appreciate any suggestions as to where I can fish and camp by a lake in Sooke or near the area of Sooke. Thanks in advance.

Edited by - steelrainbow on 04/28/2003 00:04:07

SteelRainbow
just a word of caution to you, that May Long is notoriously bad for teenagers camping and partying out in that area. Usaully a couple lifes lost every year on that weekend in that area.
As for fishing, the only lake in Sooke that I can think of off the top of my head that has Small Mouth is Kemp lake, some one may want to correct me on that though. Bear Creek Resevoir has a lot of small rainbows. There are also some lakes out near Port Renfrew. If you have a good solid 4x4 there are some really good lakes that you can access

SteelRainbow
just a word of caution to you, that May Long is notoriously bad for teenagers camping and partying out in that area. Usaully a couple lifes lost every year on that weekend in that area.
As for fishing, the only lake in Sooke that I can think of off the top of my head that has Small Mouth is Kemp lake, some one may want to correct me on that though. Bear Creek Resevoir has a lot of small rainbows. There are also some lakes out near Port Renfrew. If you have a good solid 4x4 there are some really good lakes that you can access

SteelRainbow

Totally Tyee thanks for the word of caution re. rowdy teenagers and those campsites you recommended. Cheers :)

I read an article on this website written by Hugh Patridge re. Fly Fishing for Bass on Elk Lake (near Sooke), unfortunately, there was no mention if camping was available on the lake. By chance are you familiar or if anyone else is familiar with Elk Lake, specifically if there are campsites available? I've checked on the net with B.C. Parks and Elk Lake near Sooke is not listed. Thanks Again.

Totally Tyee thanks for the word of caution re. rowdy teenagers and those campsites you recommended. Cheers :)

I read an article on this website written by Hugh Patridge re. Fly Fishing for Bass on Elk Lake (near Sooke), unfortunately, there was no mention if camping was available on the lake. By chance are you familiar or if anyone else is familiar with Elk Lake, specifically if there are campsites available? I've checked on the net with B.C. Parks and Elk Lake near Sooke is not listed. Thanks Again.

Elk lake is on the Saanich peninsula just north of Victoria. It has great bass fishing - if you like that sort of thing. there are several campsites nearby.

Elk lake is on the Saanich peninsula just north of Victoria. It has great bass fishing - if you like that sort of thing. there are several campsites nearby.

Rob, Thanks for the info. :) Nice to know that there's great Bass fishing on Elk Lake. I'll be checking out the area in a couple of weeks, hopefully I'll be able to book a campsite during my visit. Cheers.

Rob, Thanks for the info. :) Nice to know that there's great Bass fishing on Elk Lake. I'll be checking out the area in a couple of weeks, hopefully I'll be able to book a campsite during my visit. Cheers.

Elk Lake is srictly day use and has a major highway running right beside it. It can be pretty noisy. The closest campgrounds are in Sidney or the Island View Beach area, however I don't think any are currently open. They probably will be for the May long weekend. I think the closest open campground right now is at Goldstream Park, about a 25-30 minute drive from Elk Lake, west of Victoria. Just a few minutes from Goldstream, though, is Langford Lake. I've never fished there, but I've certainly read some glowing reports about it on this site.

Paul

Elk Lake is srictly day use and has a major highway running right beside it. It can be pretty noisy. The closest campgrounds are in Sidney or the Island View Beach area, however I don't think any are currently open. They probably will be for the May long weekend. I think the closest open campground right now is at Goldstream Park, about a 25-30 minute drive from Elk Lake, west of Victoria. Just a few minutes from Goldstream, though, is Langford Lake. I've never fished there, but I've certainly read some glowing reports about it on this site.

Paul

Paul

Yes, Langford lake has some very large smallmouth's as well as some good size trout. fishing is very much like Elk lake at the moment "patchy".......

Yes, Langford lake has some very large smallmouth's as well as some good size trout. fishing is very much like Elk lake at the moment "patchy".......

Ipaulcarter and Craftycarper "Muchos Gracias" on your insights. I'll be camping for more than a week somewhere in Sooke and hopefully will be able to fish all the lakes mentioned in this column. I'll post some feedbacks on the fishing results of each lake. Till then.

Back