Sooke 2014 Fishing Reports

Rook was right, the halibut are deep. My buddy pulled one in from 300+feet today, around slack. Put up the best fight he's had from a halibut with multiple runs back to the bottom and lots of headshakes.

Lots of debris in the water with the hightides we've been having. Trolled around the harbour mouth for a bit later in the day and didn't see much for large targets or bait, nothing hit the gear.

Rook was right, the halibut are deep. My buddy pulled one in from 300+feet today, around slack. Put up the best fight he's had from a halibut with multiple runs back to the bottom and lots of headshakes.

Lots of debris in the water with the hightides we've been having. Trolled around the harbour mouth for a bit later in the day and didn't see much for large targets or bait, nothing hit the gear.

Nice! I caught my first halibut from 250 + feet off QCI. It was fun.

Way to go Seagirt!

Franko

MILF (Man, I Love Fishing)

Halibut fished today at muir from 10-2pm for the tide change... No luck for us, fished herring and salmon bellies. Lots of debris in the water.

Hali fished out towards Becher bay and just off Sooke, no luck, (no skill?). It wasn't a great attempt, pulled anchor and moved three times so never really developed a scent trail. At least I got to learn different spots. This afternoon's tide was too slack just out of Sooke.

went out friday around gordon beach,,240ft of water,caught a 22lb hali on tide change,,mackerel,,went out hali fishing sat. around secretary,,nothing,,went out hali fishing yesterday out towards otter in 280 ft of water,caught a 29.6 lb hali on tide change with mackerel,,

Out with my buddy to give it a whirl this morning in 125 feet, and had 6 hatch to the boat, three barbie size, #4-6, three under. Tried spoons and vinyl but the bait won today. Gold sheen to the fish was very notable compared to the coho of fall. Lots of undersized dungees in the traps, and only managed one for the crab louie salad this eve.

Went out this morning from 8:00 to 11:00. Straight out of the harbour in the usual winter spring spot. Picked up a 5 and a 7 lber and a bunch of small ones. All on glow plastic. First trip of the winter since the coho. Nice day out there.

Put some time in on anchor today west of the bluffs. Did a couple drifts also once the current picked up. Fished 250-400 feet, no takers. A fair number of boats out, nice day. Pleasantly surprised that the current change happened when Navionics indicated it would.

Headed out for my last chance hali today, no luck. Did catch a very large skate (let go) which sure seemed like a hali coming up from 290 '.skate2.jpg

I was yakkin in Becher Bay for springs--no luck but it felt good to be on the water. There were some fish coming in from Whirl Bay.
T2

Went out to beecher also and found it very slow(7:30 to 11:00) except for a 10 minute stint at the flagpole where we picked up a 13 and a 7 lber. Then nothing. Sounds like we got lucky. Both on glow hootchies dragging the bottom.

Dabel, nice skate. That's a better catch than we made.

Put some meat down to 300' for halibut yesterday but returned empty. We managed to successfully release the two rock fish we pulled up as bycatch, sending them down to depth so their swim bladder could adjust and they could swim away. Seeing a nice 5lb rockfish struggle at the surface from barotrauma is reason enough to look into those rockfish release gadgets one can buy. We also caught and released a good size dogfish.

Trolled for salmon on the way in to Sooke and had a nice hit but it didn't stay hooked up for long. Caught and released two smaller chinook.

went out in front of sooke yesterday,,put the pick down at 9am in 260 ft of water,,fished till 2pm,,nothing,
Dabel, nice skate. That's a better catch than we made.

Put some meat down to 300' for halibut yesterday but returned empty. We managed to successfully release the two rock fish we pulled up as bycatch, sending them down to depth so their swim bladder could adjust and they could swim away. Seeing a nice 5lb rockfish struggle at the surface from barotrauma is reason enough to look into those rockfish release gadgets one can buy. We also caught and released a good size dogfish.

Trolled for salmon on the way in to Sooke and had a nice hit but it didn't stay hooked up for long. Caught and released two smaller chinook.

Great weekend on the water. Spent the afternoon crabbing on Saturday. Took 4 hours and got our limits. And Sunday morning spent a quick 2 hours out fishing with great success.IMG_3863.jpg

Back