Sooke 2013 Fishing Reports

Well today was 12/12/12 (the last date of that kind for 89 years!!) and the omens were not good from the start. As we left the dock I noticed the water pressure gauge was on the blink, but the temperature was good and it was peeing OK so we continued.

Later on, in 160 feet of water, we were close to the bottom off the Bluffs and bounced a couple of times. I had just reached for the button to bring it up and then bang the ball, snubber and clip all went on something, just like that! Did not know there was any major rocks out in that area, but apparently there is!!

Did an “at sea” repair and crimp job and got the rod back down again. Changed the other rod to a spoon and immediately hung that on bottom. Came around but could not shift it and lost lure, flasher and bead chain swivel!

Finally, at the end of the day, could not bring the kicker up for the run in. (My kicker is all manual lower and raise). Something stuck in release spring, I think. Anyway as I was yarding on it the throttle handle came apart in my hands and several bits went to the bottom!!

And the fishing?? Well the good news there is lot of winters in the 125-15’ range. The bad news is they are all very small. Released several and ended up keeping one 4lb fish and another a bit smaller because it was bleeding.

Oh and by the way we were stalked by a seal a lot of the time but he never took our little fish. Guess he was after a bigger dinner!!

All in all not a good way to end 2012 and I hope 2013 is a bit better……..LOL:D

Woke up this morning looking for a change of scenery. Headed out west and dropped the lines around Secretary and continued west on the Ebb. Hit 5 springs 5-9 pounds. Kept the 9 pounder. Missed a few other strikes that may have been. But who knows at over 200' on the rigger.

-KK

Englishdude, are you loosing your balls on the wire side :confused:

What! no pics KK

Roland, this outta' make you feel better (not fishin' but good for a laugh).

Recently bought a 99' Suburban that needed (among other things) a motor. Bought a new GM 350' crate-engine. Last Friday I'm at Jenner to drop off the old engine-core with my 94' Ford E350 ex-Uhaul diesel box truck. Dump off the core then go to leave, truck won't start.

Going in and arranging for the Chevy guys to have a look at my old Ford... priceless!

Phone the wife to come and get me.

Monday morning get a call from the service manager at Jenner, he says "you need a new starter". He quotes, $380.00 for the parts. I say hold on, I'll get one and bring it right down. I call buddy at Lordco - $320.00! I jump in the new (to me) Burb' and hustle down to get the starter, then drop it off at Jenner.

Go out and hop in the Burb'. NO START!

A-a-a-a-g-g-g-g-h-h-h-h!

Phone the wife to come and get me.

New key switch - $500.00; repair broken plastic interior door handle - $300.00; getting a call from the service guy again yesterday to tell me a plastic shroud on the steering column needs to be replaced at another $300.00 +... priceless!

My $1000.00 bargain is slowly but surely creeping up on $10/k...

Reminds me of my boat!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ahhh yes the old Ford versus Chev debate. My Dodge Cummins hasn't visited the dealership hospital since I've owned it. LOL But I am a Ford guy at heart....love my Shelby's and Mustangs.

Well today was 12/12/12 (the last date of that kind for 89 years!!) and the omens were not good from the start. As we left the dock I noticed the water pressure gauge was on the blink, but the temperature was good and it was peeing OK so we continued.

Later on, in 160 feet of water, we were close to the bottom off the Bluffs and bounced a couple of times. I had just reached for the button to bring it up and then bang the ball, snubber and clip all went on something, just like that! Did not know there was any major rocks out in that area, but apparently there is!!

Did an “at sea” repair and crimp job and got the rod back down again. Changed the other rod to a spoon and immediately hung that on bottom. Came around but could not shift it and lost lure, flasher and bead chain swivel!

Finally, at the end of the day, could not bring the kicker up for the run in. (My kicker is all manual lower and raise). Something stuck in release spring, I think. Anyway as I was yarding on it the throttle handle came apart in my hands and several bits went to the bottom!!

And the fishing?? Well the good news there is lot of winters in the 125-15’ range. The bad news is they are all very small. Released several and ended up keeping one 4lb fish and another a bit smaller because it was bleeding.

Oh and by the way we were stalked by a seal a lot of the time but he never took our little fish. Guess he was after a bigger dinner!!

All in all not a good way to end 2012 and I hope 2013 is a bit better……..LOL:D

Wow Roland! I thought we broke the curse of the Englishman. You are far from the only one who has left lead on the bottom out there. I have a ball or two you can have in the 8, 10, 11lb range if you want them. With the high speed riggers we seldom go under 15lbs any more.

It's a rap for the season, came in from a 4 hr dredge with Rob H, didley squat other than a small shaker. Felt much better about pulling das boat. Thanx again for all the help Rob.

Hopefully I'll get a few fishing invites from some of my forum buddies ;)

After a slow start I managed to convince a couple springs to take the hook around the tide change. Whirl Bay, around 130-140', hardware. Lost one more. Pretty small in size though 4-5 lbs. Still fun day yesterday.

Wednesday was pretty good out front of Sooke in 130' of water...in three hours we had 10 fish...two we fed to the seal...let a couple littles ones go...kept the rest from 6 to 12 lbs...but the rain was heavy...good thing we are covered with heat on our vessel.

Thanks for the report FISH, I was hoping to get out fishing some time between Christmas and New years. I haven't been out since summer. As long as its not below zero I'll give it a try. I've heard of a few big winter springs getting caught, and a 12 lb winter spring is a big fish. I've got a killer winter spring set up that I want to try out.... glow white hootchie and a solid white flasher with a hole drilled in it. Troll it right near the bottom. I haven't heard much about the flag pole out at Cheanua ... has anyone had any luck right in close to Fraser Is. I don't do a lot of winter spring fishing but I think thats one of the good spots.... Steve.

Last edited by a moderator:
"glow white hootchie and a solid white flasher with a hole drilled it."

What is the purpose of the hole drilling Sea RANGER ?

Back